Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I need some help picking out a 223 semi-auto. Here in Ontario they class AR type semi-autos into a restricted license class, so without changing my license what 223 would you say would be the best replacement for an AR. I thought mabey one of the Ruger Mini-14s. Are there any other 223s simular to the rugers that I could check out? Thanks in advance. Kevin

·
reading since 2008
895 Posts
whats wrong with ruger? you need to look at the law and decide, probably a question for someone in your province

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey everyone easy there I have no issues or dislike for Ruger I just wanted to see all the different 223 before I make a choice.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Between the Saiga and the Ruger Mini 14 that just about covers the gamut of available, Canadian, semi autos...The new Rugers are supposed to be much more accurate then previous ones and the stocks are different...I've always liked the Mini 14 and the Mini Ranch rifles and with the Ranch rifle (7.62x39mm) many a deer have graced the dinner tables--FYI 5.56x45mm/.223 is illegal for hunting big game animals where we live...

Then again there aren't many, non military and non pistol calibre, semi autos to begin with...Browning BAR, Remington 750, Winchester X, Benelli, J.P Sauer, Merkel and that's about it...

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
I have a Mini 14 and love it. I'm going to get another in the near future.

As SeekHer said, the new models are much better than the earlier/older ones. They have heavy barrels and better sights. Quite a few different options for the stock too.
Minis are rugged, dependable and accurate.

·
disce pati
58 Posts
I love my Mini 14. I have more fun shooting it than my AR some days. I don't know anything about Canada's laws, but there are a lot of mods out for the Ruger's so you can turn them into just about anything if that's what your into.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i once had 5 mini 14s and choate and ram-line stocks and mwg 90 round drum magazines up the wazoo.
sold most of them off, my $60 mwgs for a cool $250 each after clintons ban.
paladin press had all the customization books.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning heavily towards the Mini-14 but I have a couple of questions about that specific rifle that I hope you can answer. First off I've never been lucky enough to have fired the Mini-14; so my question is how is the recoil and how does it effect the speed of the follow up shots. Second is the barrel construct well enough to fire multiple shots in a row and longenvitive of the barrel after thousands of shots. Thanks Kevin

·
I FEAR COWARDS MOST
6,153 Posts
As far as fast follow up shots, that's easy with the Mini-14, there really is no recoil to speak of.

Barrel lif would be equivalent to any other rifle of this caliber and would be in the thousands of rounds before you need to worry.

Very durable rifles.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
What's your price range?

There are quite a few others around.

Can you have an AK clone in 5.45x39 mm?

FN SCAR, Galil, AK 74, Styer AUG, HK, HK IAR, FN IAR, Saiga, are some others to look at.

If you go with the Mini-14 make sure you either get a brand new one or make sure it has a 5.56 bbl if you want to shoot surplus ammo. If it has the .223 chamber then it's .223 only.

What about non AR, ARs? Remongton has their R15 series that's made by Bushmaster and come cammoed. There are also several that make CA (California) legal versions.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What's your price range?

There are quite a few others around.

Can you have an AK clone in 5.45x39 mm?

FN SCAR, Galil, AK 74, Styer AUG, HK, HK IAR, FN IAR, Saiga, are some others to look at.

If you go with the Mini-14 make sure you either get a brand new one or make sure it has a 5.56 bbl if you want to shoot surplus ammo. If it has the .223 chamber then it's .223 only.

What about non AR, ARs? Remongton has their R15 series that's made by Bushmaster and come cammoed. There are also several that make CA (California) legal versions.
hes in canada, not ontario california...

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
Between the Saiga and the Ruger Mini 14 that just about covers the gamut of available,...
saigas are considered an AK variant which make them prohibited, meaning unless you where grandfathered during the 90's you can not own one, well legally

i have a mini 14 as my shtf rifle, always shoots, doesn't stick out like a sore thumb like black rifles, and is accurate enough for its intended purpose,]
other 223 semi auto non res to consider are the swiss arms 223, robinson xcr, benelli makes a 223, ar180b, some provinces allow huntng large game with 223 so check your regs,
good luck

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
saigas are considered an AK variant which make them prohibited, meaning unless you where grandfathered during the 90's you can not own one, well legally

i have a mini 14 as my shtf rifle, always shoots, doesn't stick out like a sore thumb like black rifles, and is accurate enough for its intended purpose,]
other 223 semi auto non res to consider are the swiss arms 223, robinson xcr, benelli makes a 223, ar180b, some provinces allow huntng large game with 223 so check your regs,
good luck
I thought they were covered under the Valmet exclusion but what do I know, I've never looked at buying one before or plan to in future...

As I said they were the gamut of non military style, EBR, MBR etc. firearms in .223 and semi auto that the OP inquired about...

If the .22 is legal for big game hunting in your locale, I'm sorry to hear that! It's a very sore topic for me as I've heard and read of far too many horror stories about wounded animals and that's why most places make the minimum .23 or 6mm for big game animals and I whole heartily support that...

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
I thought they were covered under the Valmet exclusion but what do I know, I've never looked at buying one before or plan to in future...

As I said they were the gamut of non military style, EBR, MBR etc. firearms in .223 and semi auto that the OP inquired about...

If the .22 is legal for big game hunting in your locale, I'm sorry to hear that! It's a very sore topic for me as I've heard and read of far too many horror stories about wounded animals and that's why most places make the minimum .23 or 6mm for big game animals and I whole heartily support that...
you are right some model valmets squeeked through as non restricted,but they are rare and the couple i have seen forsale are in the 2000-3000 dollars range,
personally i don't use anything other than 308 for hunting large game, the wife bang flopped a blacktail doe last fall with a 243, but she is mrs cool in the field

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I want to thank everyone for there replies it helped make my decision alot easier. I have a call into my local gunshop for pricing and availabily for a standard mini-14 ranch rifle with a 18.5" barrel; and an email away to ATI gun stocks for pricing and availability for a buttstock & forend package. As I can't buy the rifle that way directly from Ruger because the barrel length they offer is too short for my province without a restricted license. I have one final question for everyone is the mini-14 able to fire 223 and 5.56 cartridges both interchangeably. Thanks again Kevin

1 - 20 of 30 Posts