Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just imagine for one moment that you could send a letter to someone in 1928, just 12 months before the Stock Market crash that led to the Depression.

What advice would you give? How would you suggest someone could have prepared themselves for the economic meltdown of the 1930's?

I'm suggesting this as an imagination task because of the possible parallels with the situation we face today.

So, any suggestions?

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Send it 5 years before, 1 year and your resources are already starting to bleed off.
Not an option, unfortunately.

You can send a letter to someone 1 year before the big crash, what would you suggest? The reason i pinpoint 1 year is because i'm thinking of how little time there is to warn people of the coming problems so 5 years warning is not realistic, 1 years might be.

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
Not an option, unfortunately.

You can send a letter to someone 1 year before the big crash, what would you suggest? The reason i pinpoint 1 year is because i'm thinking of how little time there is to warn people of the coming problems so 5 years warning is not realistic, 1 years might be.
I'm suggesting this as an imagination task because of the possible parallels with the situation we face today.

So, any suggestions?

This is what you said and I imagined sending the letter 5 years before. That gives ample time to position yourself for what will come. In one year can you stockpile food and guns and ammo and garden supplies and fuel and toilet paper and generators or solar panels and spare parts for any machinery you have and harden your home against attack?There's more as well,but you get the idea.
Maybe if you make 6 figures a year it would be possible to buy all the stuff,but you better work late into the night to learn how to utilize it all.

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what you said and I imagined sending the letter 5 years before. That gives ample time to position yourself for what will come. In one year can you stockpile food and guns and ammo and garden supplies and fuel and toilet paper and generators or solar panels and spare parts for any machinery you have and harden your home against attack?There's more as well,but you get the idea.
Maybe if you make 6 figures a year it would be possible to buy all the stuff,but you better work late into the night to learn how to utilize it all.
Sweeper, i don't think you are being at all realistic.

It is perfectly reasonable to suggest some preparations that could be made if someone had one years warning. To simply state that you need at least five years to do everything you think necessary so therefore it isn't worth even trying is just ridiculous.

I'll start again, if you could give someone in 1928 a years warning of the impending crash and economic meltdown, what would you suggest they could do to prepare?

·
Getting Older
1,233 Posts
Thank you Sam Reeves, that's more constructive.

So you'd suggest that the average American in 1928 should have thought about small holding or some such thing?
Interesting thought. If most of us could just get back to 1928 rural standards we'd probably consider ourselves 'prepared'. I doubt the average American even knew what a stock option was in 1928. My hypothetical advice would be to store as grain as they could and spare parts that they couldn't easily replace. Probably not much different than the advice I could offer now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Buy lots of guns/ammo and stay away from the southwest?

Really though, I think any advice would end up being the same as it would be now: stop depending on "imaginary money" (ie, stocks, paper cash, credit, etc...) and start investing on "real" things like food, tools and precious metals.

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm thinking of a normal American. Perhaps a family man working in a car factory in Detroit or a lumber yard in Chicago.

How useful would the advice 'buy tools and precious metals' really have been in preparing for the Depression?

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I'd say buy lots of rice, chickens, rabbits and flour.

Chickens & rabbits tend to reproduce well plus you get eggs and you can eat them both.

Remember the soup kitchens and long lines waiting for a meal?

Reactions: Watcher

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
Sweeper, i don't think you are being at all realistic.

It is perfectly reasonable to suggest some preparations that could be made if someone had one years warning. To simply state that you need at least five years to do everything you think necessary so therefore it isn't worth even trying is just ridiculous.

I'll start again, if you could give someone in 1928 a years warning of the impending crash and economic meltdown, what would you suggest they could do to prepare?
I'm being unrealistic? how many people have been layed off or are underemployed already? Hard to finance preps of any kind on unemployment. I never said it was not worth trying,just making the case that alot of people don't or soon won't have the ability to prep. At all.Sorry my answer didn't fit your fantasy.

·
Feed Yourself
73 Posts
Any move away from cash based activities and towards self-sustaining efforts gets my vote. This could be advising the 'normal' man to move out of the city, perhaps purchase a small plot of land.
Have you ever read or heard of "The Good Life" by Scott and Helen Nearing? A must readon rural homesteading. This couple abandoned the city for a rural life with minimal cash and the knowledge of self reliance and good health.

"Helen and Scott Nearing are the great-grandparents of the back-to-the-land movement, having abandoned the city in 1932 for a rural life based on self-reliance, good health, and a minimum of cash...Fascinating, timely, and wholly useful, a mix of the Nearings' challenging philosophy and expert counsel on practical skills."

I found this a truly fantastic read; lots of real, practical experience and detail. This couple took the temperature of the times and made a go for it. They lived 60 years on their own - at first in Vermont, then in Maine. Scott lived till 100 or so; Helen the same. I could go on about this book. Side note: they raised and ate no meat.

In this hypothetical letter to the past, I would certainly also include some advice regarding frugal charity for the coming years of hardship.

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
Sell everything non-essential, but be carefull not to create any suspicion.

Don't buy gold - it will be confiscated. Keep as much cash on hand as possible.

Buy a small parcel of land in the suburbs of a major city. Reasoning: major city provides employment and business opportunities (remember, 75% of workers still worked), while the land provides additional food. This will also provide an opportunity for extended family to move in and help getting through.

Learn a new skills that can be used to supplement income.

Stock up on food, tools, supplies, guns and ammo - that's a no brainer.

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sell everything non-essential, but be carefull not to create any suspicion.

Don't buy gold - it will be confiscated. Keep as much cash on hand as possible.

Buy a small parcel of land in the suburbs of a major city. Reasoning: major city provides employment and business opportunities (remember, 75% of workers still worked), while the land provides additional food. This will also provide an opportunity for extended family to move in and help getting through.

Learn a new skills that can be used to supplement income.

Stock up on food, tools, supplies, guns and ammo - that's a no brainer.

Now that is a very constructive answer. Thank you.

I like your realistic ideas. Cash on hand, a small parcel of land for food, new skills for an extra income, simplify, selling non essentials while other people are still buying them. Building up a pantry.

That is the sort of advice that the average American could actually have followed and for it to have made a difference.

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sweeper, i ask for advice to give assuming that someone has one year to prepare.

You post that one year isn't enough and insist that five years is needed. You then state that it is too late for many people to do anything because they are already feeling economic problems.

I don't know why you are being so odd about it. It is a simple matter to consider, what advice would you give to someone if they had one year to prepare for an economic crash. Rather than actually contribute, you choose to attack the premise and try and derail the thread.

If you do have any ideas i've love to hear them, i know you have made good posts before, i've even repped them, but for some reason you are acting like a troll at the moment in this thread.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.