Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So, instead of Buy-ing ammo, would you simply buy gunpowder? and carry it with you? Would this be more economical, weight-wise, if on the run? Of course, I'd plan on having 10-20 30 round clips, some loaded some not, before I'd start re-loading my own bullets on the run.

How much gunpowder can one carry in a 6000 cu in backpack? a 7000 cu in backpack?

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I owned a "lee pro-1000" (for 9mm), stay away from lee.
As an example...I once ripped off the bench and threw it into the yard as far as possible.
recomend RCBS...better quality, warranty, customer service, etc.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Have a Lee Turret Press with both 3 and 4 hole turrets. Have been using it for over 20 years for about 6 or 8 calibers. Also have the smaller Lee Reloader Press for small jobs. Have no complaints. they have a good warranty program and replaced the smaller press the one time I had a problem with it.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have a couple of them.They are alright if you are gonna reload a box or two but it would behoove you to get a press for big jobs.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a couple of them.They are alright if you are gonna reload a box or two but it would behoove you to get a press for big jobs.
My great uncle has a press, and used to let me reload when I was a boy. Still wish I lived near the fam. It's Klu-Klux-Klan area fo sho, but I miss the heavy access to allthingsguns I had as a child. We'd shoot 100s of rounds in multiple guns in a day trip. ATVs to retrieve the targets.

I guess to buy all that land would cost a pretty penny today.

You can't carry a press with you though, can you? I mean, if you're bored out in your bugout location, wouldn't this be the perfect time to reload em one at a time?

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
YouTube - Reloading with a Lee Loader

So, instead of Buy-ing ammo, would you simply buy gunpowder? and carry it with you? Would this be more economical, weight-wise, if on the run? Of course, I'd plan on having 10-20 30 round clips, some loaded some not, before I'd start re-loading my own bullets on the run.

How much gunpowder can one carry in a 6000 cu in backpack? a 7000 cu in backpack?

These units are fine for what they are. In addition to the powder you also have to carry primers and bullets. You don't save much weight, but you get to re-use your brass. I have one for 12 ga and one for 7mm Rem Mag at the moment and am looking to get the other calibers I intend to have with me.

Regarding the "stay away from Lee" comment above, Lee is the only one making units like this one. Everyone else is selling presses along with the dies etc. For a light, compact reloading set for a given caliber, these units are hard to beat...

The answer to your question about the 6000 cu inch backpack, figure a lifetime supply, bu remember you also need lead for bullets, a bullet mold (or bullets) and primers...

Allan

Allan

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
+1 for birdman's comments.

To make this work, besides say a box of cartridges (say 20 rounds); you would need powder for a 100 charges (say 45 gr. a charge [typical for a .308 win.]) so 4500 grains or 2/3 of a pound of powder; 100 bullets (165 gr. per bullet so 16500 gr. or 2-1/2 pounds for bullets and 100 primers (wt. nil). You should be able to reload the brass form your 20 spent cartridges 5 times. The only weight you save is the brass, and you have probably spent that savings carrying the reloading equipment.

Kegs of powder come in 8 pound canisters; it looks like 2 might fit in a 5500 cu ft. backpack depending on style and powder packaging, but no room for anything else in the main compartment. So that is 16 pounds.

how many charges is that? (16 * (7000 /45))= 2488 potential charges.

To me it would be hard to justify carrying reloading equipment if it was just yourself and you were on foot. Better to bury it and come back for it after things settle down.

Now if you were bugging out in a vehicle or had pack animals; or you were bugging out with a group, so that different people carried different items, it might make sense; i.e one person carry the 16 pounds of powder for the whole group.

If you were bugging in, and stockpiled powder and primers that were common across a couple of cartridges, you could maximize your load efficiency reloading for the smaller cartridge until the larger was needed; the case of powder an example would be the .223 and the .308 - both using Varget Powder. The .223 using 25 grains vs the .308 using 45 grains.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts