Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve done quite a bit of writing about how to harvest and manage rainwater recently.

However, in the wake of Sandy, it’s time to start thinking about what to do with an excessive amount of water (e.g. unwanted water flooding your basement), particularly during an emergency that knocks out power and fuel deliveries.

To find an elegant potential human powered solution, I asked Devin, the water harvesting guru for Resilient Strategies.

He sent me a link to a step action water pump that simply said:

“Performance specs are eye-popping for a human powered pump, I’ve not seen anything close. Price is ~$500. Not bad.”

Intrigued, I took a look.

Here’s the pump. It’s from Ecologics, a small company in New Zealand.

It’s a real work of art from a performance perspective.

It’s built to last: Zinc coated steel. Self-lubricating bearings. Durability tested with diaphragm life proven in excess of 5,000,000 liters and the pump mechanicals in excess of 9,000,000 steps.

And amazing performance specs. One operator can move 5-6,000 liters an hour and it has a max lift of 20 meters.

Also, due to mechanical assist, it can also be operated by people with low body weight.

Simply, it looks amazing and if it performs at anything close to its specs, it should be a staple in every fire department and town hall.

Continued at: http://www.resilientcommunities.com/a-human-powered-water-pump-you-have-to-see/

·
What, me worry?
2,621 Posts
That is pretty clever. Some very inventive Kiwis! Thank you! :thumb:

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
Okay, great, but no link of where to get one. No video either.

As for cost - good hand pumps are $1K or more. The human leg has a lot more power to it than the human arm, so the idea is right. The fact that it is portable is good too. Stair climber exercise machine! :thumb:

·
Closed for the Season.
15,808 Posts
The thing looks like it would quickly fall apart. I have doubts to any claims made for its pumping rate. Imagine trying to balance on those levers while maintaining a walking motion. The photo image of the person spraying the field is probably faked by having a pressurized hose as supply to the "pump".

I put this in the category of dubious product.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,808 Posts
I don't know about the pump itself. I would like to see reviews.

However, it does give me ideas of how to use an elliptical trainer or bicycle to pump water from a well. The idea of using leg power instead of arm power is a valid one.
Much more power from your legs. But pump design has certain limitations. Centrifugal pumps max out at about a 25 ft suction lift. The amount they can deliver is a function of total head and horsepower.

The other pump types (direct displacement and others) also have known operational limitations. Anytime you see a claim for a pump it must fit within the math for pumping water (8.34 pounds per gallon). It has to take at minimum the same energy you would get from that water falling back to the level you pumped it from or you have a free energy device.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.