Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rifle was a PTR 91, GI model; the ammunition was Wolf Polyformance steel-cased. I shot off of a table with a gun rest. Iron sights only; no scope.

The 1st target is at 25 yds. The squares are 1”, so the bulls-eye has a 2” diameter.

I made a windage adjustment to move the POI slightly to the right and then fired at the 2nd target. It was set at 25 yds also, and is supposed to simulate a full-size Army “D” (dog) target at 100 yds. I scored 35 out of 35 points possible.

Then I moved out to 100 yds.

I fired five shots at Mr. Bones’ head. Not a pretty group (I’m still learning where the bullet rise is at that distance), but all of the shots would be lethal. I also made one more windage adjustment at the end of that string.

Next I fired 10 rounds at the upper CM box.

And then I finished up the box of ammo with five rounds each at two more targets at 100 yds again.

And if I ignore the obligatory flyer you have when you’re shooting Wolf ammo:

·
What hell, pay attention
8,146 Posts
Yup, nice shooting. Looks like you got her zeroed. Now you need to get off that bench and start "shooting". :)

Reactions: Army ELint Spook

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Easy to shoot when it is perfectly sunny and a nice mild 80 degrees, yet you are still in an air conditioned building.

Gets more real when it is below freezing, sun barely up or barely down, heavy wind and snow.

That is some nice groups especially considering the ammo used.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice shooting! Does that model have the 18" barrel? I know that you were shooting steel case rounds, but were they mangled bad enough that if they were brass, could they be reloaded?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice shooting!
Thanks.

Does that model have the 18" barrel?
Yes it does.

I know that you were shooting steel case rounds, but were they mangled bad enough that if they were brass, could they be reloaded?
I've shot mostly brass-cased ammunition. The ejection process does beat the shells up, but it's not consistent. Some cases might have a small dent, others looked like they'd be run over with a Bush Hog. I don't reload, but I have read in the forums of some people reloading some of the shells.

·
What hell, pay attention
8,146 Posts
If you add a port buffer (assuming you can still find them), there is little to no damage with the brass. That large dent is from the case impacting the back edge of the ejection port.

Even with the buffer, the brass life is still usually reduced with the G3 type action. My HK91's would usually only give 6, maybe 8 reloads from commercial brass, where my M1A's would usually give 10+.

Reactions: Goblin X and rjinga

·
What hell, pay attention
8,146 Posts
ANY day outdoors is better than one in an office! :)

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
port buffer they talkin about. have em on my H&K, and the Variants. aint that expensive,$34 and change from www.robertrtg.com this is for the std model, they also do a buffer for those rifles with a rail welded above the port. well worth it if you reload.:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Decent accuracy---be happy---that will handle any "problems" for distances way longer than 100 yards!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Very nice shooting OP!

port buffer they talkin about. have em on my H&K, and the Variants. aint that expensive,$34 and change from www.robertrtg.com this is for the std model, they also do a buffer for those rifles with a rail welded above the port. well worth it if you reload.:thumb:
Didn't know a buffer for rifles with the rail was available, so I cut down and glued on a regular one. Works a great, and that's the only thing that matters to us.

And...a full pic of that rifle because it's one of my favorites...

Reactions: Goblin X

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,210 Posts
Good Shooting!

The rifle was a PTR 91, GI model; the ammunition was Wolf Polyformance steel-cased. I shot off of a table with a gun rest. Iron sights only; no scope.

The 1st target is at 25 yds. The squares are 1”, so the bulls-eye has a 2” diameter.

I made a windage adjustment to move the POI slightly to the right and then fired at the 2nd target. It was set at 25 yds also, and is supposed to simulate a full-size Army “D” (dog) target at 100 yds. I scored 35 out of 35 points possible.

Then I moved out to 100 yds.

I fired five shots at Mr. Bones’ head. Not a pretty group (I’m still learning where the bullet rise is at that distance), but all of the shots would be lethal. I also made one more windage adjustment at the end of that string.

Next I fired 10 rounds at the upper CM box.

And then I finished up the box of ammo with five rounds each at two more targets at 100 yds again.

And if I ignore the obligatory flyer you have when you’re shooting Wolf ammo:
Practice makes perfect! ALWAYS room for improvement s the only attitude to have but looks like you have a total grasp of it. Good shooting!:thumb::cool:

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
i picked up the 93, and the PTR

Very nice shooting OP!

Didn't know a buffer for rifles with the rail was available, so I cut down and glued on a regular one. Works a great, and that's the only thing that matters to us.

And...a full pic of that rifle because it's one of my favorites...

The 93 was made way before everyone started welding rails, It taught me a valuable lesson, I love the old girl and shes solid as a rock, But, having the 556 variant, magazines used to be stupid expensive when i first got her. right at 100$ for a 30 rounder (shoulda bought the model 91). it also taught me by trial and error, if you dont have a rail attached, Bite the bullet and buy a real STANAG clawlock scope mount. tried the B square first. wouldn't hold, the knurled knob would unscrew with every other shot. then, tried the ARM'S copy of the STANAG. had 3 of em break on me. finally bought a STANAG at a decent price. hadnt had a problem since. plus, I already had the shaped forearm, so it was a no brainer to go with H&K Bipod. cheaper than the Atlas V8 bipod i put on the AR. less adjustable but just as tough.:thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts