Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Canuck
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What qualifies as a "good" AK47? I understand stuff like the Bulgarian SLR95 has a good rep, so do converted saigas.

But how much does a "good" stock (as in no modifications )AK47 cost? Its easy enough to find the 300-500 dollar ones, but i've heard you can find better ones which edge closer to 1000.

Can some one shed some light,

(ps: yes i searched, maybe i didnt search the right thing though)
(pps: i've setteled on either a WASR or a converted Saiga iz132, but if some one can suggest some thing "better" my budget is about 500-800$ bonus points if you can suggest something with a 470mm barrel or longer)

·
Canuck
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go Arsenal there the best made Ak's period. A $1000 dollar stock on a Ak is a bit much bro but hey its your money:). My suggestion a folding stock check Kvar.com.
I mean no aftermarket bits to improve reliability/quality etc, yes I will do that eventually but i've heard of issues with the cheaper AKs fresh from the factory.

500-1000 for the COMPLETE rifle from the factory, lol not just for the stock.

·
Firearm Enthusiast
367 Posts
Looks like most of these guys are shooting way over your budget. Arsenal 7.62 AK's run about $700, which appears to be within your budget. They are converted Saiga's and are very highly regarded. On the cheaper end, you may be able to pick up a Bulgarian SSR-85C1 from TGI on Gun Broker for about $490 (i.e. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=168177168). TGI is exiting the manufacturing business though so you'll want to move fast. These rifles are also respected, though Arsenal usually gets the glory.

It's up to you.

·
Bad Guy
802 Posts
A good AK will run $700-$1800. I just paid $900 for a slightly used Arsenal SAM7. The receiver is milled from a Bulgarian forging. New Arsenal Saigas are $700-$1000, depending on your area, New SAM7's are $1600-$1800. Red Jacket and Krebs run $1000-$1600. I hear the Yugoslav rifles are okay quality as long as century arms hasn't touched them.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
Valmet or Galil are the best, but cost a pretty penny and are not easy to find.

Beyond that there is a spectrum of quality in who made it, where it was made and when it was made (for example many Norincos are decent quality, and some made during the period just before the AW ban went into place were poor quality because the Chinese were rushing them to market).

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
390 Posts
I got myself a I.O. brand new American made using all american made and Tapco parts for under $500, Now Yes they USED to use the cheap Rom kits but after alot of flak they bought their own equipment and now make a very good Ak47, I own 1 and plan to buy a 2nd next month, I have put over 1000 rounds through mine since getting it in March, with only 1 small issue which had to do with TapCo mags had to be filed down to catch in the mag release/catch. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=161654187

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
http://www.ohiorapidfire.com/
http://www.k-var.com/shop/
I.O. are great rifles,100% made in USA. company is really trying to grab the share of the market and have good customer service. that said WASR's are good for the money, a lot of people don't think there a good first AK but I have or have had several and there was nothing wrong with them a hammer and file would not fix.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with my Romy GP, So far its great less than 3" at 100yards sitting and using knees for support. I cannot understand or justify paying in upwards or 1k for one gun...Accessories or ammo not included.

·
смерть н
3,823 Posts
You Bet

Herd Sniper
Krebs makes really good AKs. There are reports of guys making 500 meter shots with a Krebs 7.62 X 39 rifle. Unreal.

If you can get one that Marc Krebs made. It is a solid 500m AK. There is currently on available on the krebs site now.

HH54r

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Herd Sniper
Krebs makes really good AKs. There are reports of guys making 500 meter shots with a Krebs 7.62 X 39 rifle. Unreal.

If you can get one that Marc Krebs made. It is a solid 500m AK. There is currently on available on the krebs site now.

HH54r
Sure you could shoot to that range with acceptable accuracy but the energy to put them down is simply not there.

Now why on earth anyone outside of a military application would be shooting anyone at that range is beyond me. Personally, I feel there are two situations that you'll ever need to shoot beyond 100 yards. 1, you’re being shot at by a sniper, he’s got the jump on you and if he’s close enough for you to realize it he’s got the skill to kill you so best wishes and move fast! 2, you’re in some sort of offensive situation and you have the jump on them, there for I’d opt for a semi or bolt gun NOT in an intermediate caliber.

Now give me one of those 54r AKs and were talkin :)

As for the op;

"good" is a preference. To some it is milled receiver, tight BCG and an action slick as silk.

I can shoot acceptable groups with my $400 GP1975, the action works just fine, and it will most definitely out last me.

I’d much rather put that 500+ towards ammo and upgrades like a good flash lighter, sight system, better furniture, light system, sling, and mags.

Keep in mind all the ancillary equipment adds to the cost, that one main reason why I put off my AR build. The total sum of JUST the gun would be equal or greater to what I have in my AK, ammo and mags for it.

BTW, getting rid of that useless (in semi operation) slant break helped accuracy more than I expected. It should be one of your first must have mods.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.