Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

The Black Death
Some of you folks could make a living filming your nekid exploits and posting them on a private server with a $5 cover charge!

馃ぃ

I say I say
Sounds like a pack rat. I have seen some that look like they have been working out at a gym. Way bigger than a mouse, almost the size of a squirrel.
If you found a short piece of bushy tail, it may have bit it off as their tails are usually a few inches long.

Registered
Up at elevation it could be a relatively short list. I would be really surprised if it were pikas. They are kind of rare and relatively solitary. Marmots, ground squirrels, voles or mice/rats would be a lot more likely. In any case, put out some poison bait and the problem will resolve itself.

When I was a Boy Scout, one of the other dads worked for the water authority. They had a problem with rats in an underground facility of some sort, so he and a coworker went down there with a spotlight a rifle, and a couple of bricks of .22 shells. They shot every single shell. The next day they had to send down a couple of guys with shovels and wheelbarrows to clear things out because the carcasses were clogging up a drain.

Registered
Another thing I learned is opossum biscuits and gravy will land you in HR at work.
I had a friend ask me to shoot some ground hogs off his farm, so 7 fell and I made up a batch of ground hog BBQ, froze it so I could bring it to work for ground hog day. Had a larger galatanious sack of goo have 3 helpings after I told him what it was. He gave me the finger and waddled off.
Next was racoon stew, again he ate enough after I told him what it was to feed 4 or 5 third world countries for a week.
Last came opossum biscuits and gravy. Again I told him what is wad and he ate enough to support an infantry platoon for a month. This time I had poloroids ( yes I am that old) of the dead grinders in various stages of undress. Yep right to HR he went.
Later on in winter we hunt a lot of muskrat and their larger, flat tailed brethren. When I tell my buddies at work what we got the prior weekend over the chat system, I can never refer to the common name of C. Canadensis without worrying it will get picked up and cost me good with HR.

Registered
Pretty sure you have a pack rat.

I was camping in the mountains South of Casper when a clatter woke me up. Happened several times and I decided I was going to have to get up and do something. When I did the pack rat got caught in a corner on top of the sod cloth of the wall tent. I picked it up by the tail !!!

So here I am and I can't think of any good solution. Afraid if I just turn him loose he'll continue ruining may sleep. Can't let him tough anything or he'll use the leverage to turn around and bite the snot out of me. Nothing around that I wanted to strike him on.

I decided I had to shoot him with a 22 pistol, but I had to get out of the tent one handed and the door was tied shut with tie straps. Finally got'er done and put the trouble maker out of my misery.

Off the leash
I would guess maybe a chinchilla. They look just like you described and they are in the wild. We have a few here in IL.

Jackpine Savage
Wow bad internet messed that up and I can't edit the whole thing for some reason. Sometimes I wish I lived in a city. Then I remember that I can smell Detroit from 30 miles away and the "small" cities of 100k like Saginaw from 10-15 miles away.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Bushy tailed politician rat. Comes in without being asked, sneaks around, makes a big mess, and takes whatever he thinks he can get away with.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts