Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my cabin last Sunday. Hadn’t been there for a couple weeks. Walked in, HUNDREDS of little turds everywhere. The size of the seeds inside a green bean. On the furniture, the table, the floor, all over two rooms. Two big bloody spots on the living room floor. Checked the glue traps, sure enough one of them has a furry little tail stuck to it. Broke out the generator and the shop vac and the bleach, got all that cleaned up.

About one a.m. Monday night, I hear all kinds of clattering around and rustling and scratching. So I yell at my dog to knock it off. He’s in the room with me, though, so it wasn’t him. He slept right thru it all. “Just a dream” I think to myself, because of Friday.

Tuesday night, about 3 a.m., another big ruckus in the kitchen. Snap on my lantern, damn dog is laying there beside my bed, sound asleep. WTH dog? Why do you think I bring you up here? Got to the kitchen just in time to see a little gray thing, about the size of a new Labrador puppy, run under the cabinets and disappear. Didn’t want to shoot at him with my .357, so I just went back to bed.

So, Wednesday, I drove to town and then spent the day finding every possible hole big enough that any little gray animals could squeeze thru, and filled them with steel wool and expanding foam.

Got any animal-got-into-my-stuff stories funnier than that?

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
I've had to evict some mice from the cabin filter area of a car. I stuck a can of Lysol in the hole and sprayed the fan. Then into each vent.

And I had to shoot one with the pellet gun last week because he wouldn't get out of my grill. I got tired of trying to chase him out.

·
Born 120 years too late.
6,356 Posts
SO.....
WHAT KIND of critters were pestering you?
At first I thought raccoons but then they would have opened EVERYTHING, including drawers and cabinets.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SO.....
WHAT KIND of critters were pestering you?
At first I thought raccoons but then they would have opened EVERYTHING, including drawers and cabinets.
I don’t know what they are. They gotta be some kind of squirrels, I think, but they don’t have big bushy tails. There’s fur on their tails, but they’re real short, three or four inches. And they have small little round ears. Not very big animals, about like a really big potato. Kind of shaped like a potato, too, not like a weasel. I thought they were pikas, but pikas don’t have any tails at all.

My Scotty dog is going with me from now on. She won’t just sleep thru another such brouhaha.

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
4,126 Posts
If you have electrical there or a small gen set I would run an Ozone generator.
Depending on square feet and drafts I would go with at least a 6Kmg. If you want more info on set up let me know, will take a couple back and forths

Get one with a constant ON/RUN feature as well as the timer.

It will disinfect the droppings, remove the smell, kill the installed pests, and prevent returns if used regularly

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had to evict some mice from the cabin filter area of a car. I stuck a can of Lysol in the hole and sprayed the fan. Then into each vent.

And I had to shoot one with the pellet gun last week because he wouldn't get out of my grill. I got tired of trying to chase him out.
Yeah, I might have to start shooting them, but I sure don’t want to. I have a big stack of logs I need to cut up, and several big piles of brushwood and branches I have to burn this winter. I think my place has attracted every squirrel and chipmunk in the entire Medicine Bow range. My fault, though, for building them so much nice cover.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kinda. These things are a light, powdery gray. Kind of pretty fur. Their tails are furred all the way to the end. But they’re shaped like your critter.

One moved into the porch last fall, built a big nest. I let her stay, because it was cold, and I’m soft-headed. Evicted her this spring. Probably her progeny I met the other night.

·
Registered
387 Posts
When I was a kid, I went on a river float trip on a "swamp river" with a friend from the up near State line down to the Pensacola Bay. We had an old Styrofoam sailboat for our gear tied up next to a rubber life raft. We rode in the raft. We floated and paddled thru the swamp on a slow river for five days. We were drunk and otherwise for most of the trip. It was great.

We camped on the bank if we could find a dry place up out of the water. One night, we camped in the boat because we couldn't find any dry land. On about the third day (I think!), we came upon a fishing camp as it was getting dark. It was a little cabin up on stilts, dry and snug. We moved in for the night.

It had two bunks so we spread our sleeping bags out on them and went to sleep. About an hour after we laid down, we were woke up by a racket. Banging and clanking and dragging sounds right inside the cabin with us!!! We flicked on our flashlights and thought we were in some kind of horror film. Rats! Big swamp rats were all over the place dragging our gear across the floor. One of them even had the big cast iron frying pan and was trying to drag it away. My back pack looked like it had legs!

I had my trustee Savage Over/Under 20/22 inside my sleeping bag with me so I'm trying to drag it out and not scream. One of them jumped up on the end of the bunk and sat there looking at me. He was the first to go! We sat there all night on our sleeping bags, first one would work the flash light, then the other. The other one got the gun. We sat there all night shooting rats. One of us would light them up with the flashlight and then the other one would shoot as many as he could before they scattered. Then we'd trade the shotgun and flashlight, put the light out and wait for them to start moving again. The fishing cabin was full of bullet holes and dead rats when we left the next morning.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I was a kid, I went on a river float trip on a "swamp river" with a friend from the up near State line down to the Pensacola Bay. We had an old Styrofoam sailboat for our gear tied up next to a rubber life raft. We rode in the raft. We floated and paddled thru the swamp on a slow river for five days. We were drunk and otherwise for most of the trip. It was great.

We camped on the bank if we could find a dry place up out of the water. One night, we camped in the boat because we couldn't find any dry land. On about the third day (I think!), we came upon a fishing camp as it was getting dark. It was a little cabin up on stilts, dry and snug. We moved in for the night.

It had two bunks so we spread our sleeping bags out on them and went to sleep. About an hour after we laid down, we were woke up by a racket. Banging and clanking and dragging sounds right inside the cabin with us!!! We flicked on our flashlights and thought we were in some kind of horror film. Rats! Big swamp rats were all over the place dragging our gear across the floor. One of them even had the big cast iron frying pan and was trying to drag it away. My back pack looked like it had legs!

I had my trustee Savage Over/Under 20/22 inside my sleeping bag with me so I'm trying to drag it out and not scream. One of them jumped up on the end of the bunk and sat there looking at me. He was the first to go! We sat there all night on our sleeping bags, first one would work the flash light, then the other. The other one got the gun. We sat there all night shooting rats. One of us would light them up with the flashlight and then the other one would shoot as many as he could before they scattered. Then we'd trade the shotgun and flashlight, put the light out and wait for them to start moving again. The fishing cabin was full of bullet holes and dead rats when we left the next morning.
Ahh, yes, shooting rats in a swamp and drinking Wild Turkey. Be a good Hank Williams Jr. song.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh man, I thought you had it there. The color is pretty close. Shrews are tiny, I think, though, aren’t they? These buggers I have are in the northern Colorado mountains, 8000 feet.

·
Scapegoat of the Universe
2,180 Posts
Do a search "light grey rodent + (your area)"

Only other thing I can think off is a breed of rat. Norwegian, I think.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do a search "light grey rodent + (your area)"

Only other thing I can think off is a breed of rat. Norwegian, I think.
Has to be a pika. Maybe that wasn’t a tail stuck to the glue trap, just looked like one. I was pretty anxious to throw the trap away, I didn’t look very close. They live in cold, rocky, higher elevations, they’re the right size, they’re active day or night.

A pox on all these pikas.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts