Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after my success at re-blueing my Winnie, I thought 'what a nice finish that is.

So looking at my Solingen Mercator with it's failed Gold Hammercoat paint job, I promptly stripped it off, polished it and applied some liquid blue to it.

I only gave it a few coats and the blue is a little patchy, but damn does it look so much nicer now:
Before:

After:

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Yeah...it does look better. Are you going to leave it as is or are you going to make any other changes?

Reactions: Te Hopo

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah...it does look better. Are you going to leave it as is or are you going to make any other changes?
I'm happy with it for now, we'll see how the finish lasts.

But I'm bound to change it again eventually. :D:

Reactions: ActionJackson

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I'm happy with it for now, we'll see how the finish lasts.

But I'm bound to change it again eventually. :D:
I didn't think you needed to change anything. I've been looking at an all metal Spyderco.

I'm not really all that fond of most of the Spyderco line but I want one for my collection. I keep hearing that they are really good quality but I just don't like the shape of most of their line.​

·
Registered
439 Posts
Te, did you lightly polish the blued surface with 0000 steel wool between applications of the bluing chemical? I've found that this gets rid of the patchyness.

In any case, I definitely like the "after" version better. Great work! Very nice trio/trinity of tools.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Very cool, how do you sharpen yours? I have a tough time putting an edge on mine. I like the knife and how flat it carries, but I just can't put a decent edge on it.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Te, did you lightly polish the blued surface with 0000 steel wool between applications of the bluing chemical? I've found that this gets rid of the patchyness.

In any case, I definitely like the "after" version better. Great work! Very nice trio/trinity of tools.
Yes I did, I think it was more to do with the metal than the blue.
Either way I am happy with it.:thumb:

Reactions: bmatt

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very cool, how do you sharpen yours? I have a tough time putting an edge on mine. I like the knife and how flat it carries, but I just can't put a decent edge on it.
Very easily, I have a fine edge on it, around 17degrees, so very much a razors edge.
I do it free hand with a Falkniven DC4 stone, which has a medium diamond grit on one side and a super fine ceramic stone on the other side, then I strop it.
It holds it's edge great, and is super sharp. :thumb:

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
Like it! My dad's blue-in' his shotgun, I'll ask him if I can have some of it to blue my EDC. :eek: Really like your mercator, have liked it since you first posted a picture on it. Looks to be a good stout little user. (I use small bladed EDC's too. :p)

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like it! My dad's blue-in' his shotgun, I'll ask him if I can have some of it to blue my EDC. :eek: Really like your mercator, have liked it since you first posted a picture on it. Looks to be a good stout little user. (I use small bladed EDC's too. :p)
I have always liked them for their quality, simplicity and ease of use.
They're nice and slim, the reason I have the lanyard on it is so it is easy to find in my pocket. :thumb:

The carbon steel models are getting harder to find though, so I have a few spares now.
There are heaps of cheaper stainless knockoffs floating around here in NZ. :(

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
I have always liked them for their quality, simplicity and ease of use.
They're nice and slim, the reason I have the lanyard on it is so it is easy to find in my pocket. :thumb:

The carbon steel models are getting harder to find though, so I have a few spares now.
There are heaps of cheaper stainless knockoffs floating around here in NZ. :(
Does that part on the handle act like a flipper? I'm thinking of buying one, looks Lightweight, and solid.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does that part on the handle act like a flipper? I'm thinking of buying one, looks Lightweight, and solid.
I think you may be looking at the lock, it's a very positive lock, sort of like
Cd
Once it's locked open, it's impossible to close until you release the lock, great for peace of mind.

They aren't the most light weight, as they are made of steel, but damn are they solid! :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts