Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Food Storage Warning


WARNING IN THE KITCHEN -- Please Read

A student at HBHS had pancakes this week and it almost became fatal. His
Mom (registered nurse) made him pancakes, dropped him off at school and
headed to play tennis. She never takes her cell phone on the court but
did this time and her son called to say he was having trouble breathing.
She told him to go to the nurse immediately and proceeded to call school
and alert the nurse. The nurse called the paramedics and they were there
in 3 minutes and worked on the boy all the way to the hospital. He came
so close to dying. Evidently this is more common then I ever knew. Check
the expiration dates on packages like pancakes and cake mixes that have
yeast which over time develop spores.


WARNING ABOUT Pancake Mix (and other boxed mixes)

(maybe you already know this, I DID NOT !!) Talk about frightening .

Throw away ALL OUTDATED pancake mix you have in your home, PLEASE! If
you don't believe me, read this article and then follow the 'Link' below
to SNOPES. Sorry to be the Grim Reaper of bad news, but I would rather
have you ALIVE, besides a $2.00 box of pancake mix is NOT worth your
life.

P. S. You might want to tell this to your children, grandchildren,
nephews, nieces and anyone else who keeps pancake mix in the cupboard.

WARNING - READ ON. AND CHECK SNOPES TOO.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

From Snopes: cause of death due to anaphylaxic shock reaction to
molds. I recently made a batch of pancakes for my healthy
14-year-old son, using a mix that was in our pantry. He said that they
tasted 'funny,' but ate them anyway. About 10 minutes later, he began
having difficulty breathing and his lips began turning purple I gave
him his all ergy pill, had him sit on the sofa and told him to relax. He
was wheezing while inhaling and exhaling. My husband, a volunteer
Firefighter and EMT, heated up some water, and we had my son lean over
the water so the steam could clear his chest and sinuses. Soon, his
breathing became more regular and his lips returned to a more normal
color. We checked the date on the box of pancake mix and, to my dismay,
found it was very outdated. As a reference librarian at an academic
institution, I have the ability to search through many research
databases. I did just that, and found an article the next day that
mentioned a 19-year-old male DYING after eating pancakes made with
outdated mix. Apparently, the mold that forms in old pancake mix can be
toxic!

When we told our friends about my son's close call, we were surprised at
the number of people who mentioned that they should check their own
pancake mix since they don't use it often, or they had purchased it some
time ago. With so many people shopping at warehouse-type stores and
buying large sizes of pancake mix, I hope your readers will take the
time to check the expiration date on their boxes. Also, beware of
outdated Bisquick, cake, brownie and cookie mixes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,790 Posts
The warning is overblown.

The "quote" from snopes is out of context. Go to the link supplied and read the whole thing. The risk is not inherently with pancake mix but with anything that has been exposed to spores and has mold in it.

One should not eat moldy food especially if they have an allergy to mold.
 

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
Joined
·
12,005 Posts
I wonder if a visual inspection, rather than mindlessly going through the motions, would have identified this problem before the cooking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
678 Posts
I had to throw away a container of grits last week. I wasn't super careful about making sure the old apple juice container was DRY before pouring the grits in and they got moldy. I smelled the mold, and threw it all out.

Maybe we should smell food before using them?

I do this with meat most of the time anyway. I figure my nose is a better judge then an expiration date - BUT I cook from scratch. There are no chemical smells to fool me.
 

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
Joined
·
12,005 Posts
I once had an allergic reaction to raw Cashews. I had similar symptoms to the above Child.

Turns out Cashews are in the Sumac family. I can eat them by the ton if they have been roasted, but I ain't ever touching them raw again!

(Ref. Pg 124 "Botany In A Day")
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,790 Posts
Thank you for this warning. I will no longer by buying bisquick mix. I don't use it often, only for emergency. Thanks again for the warning.
Again, the issue was not the mix but the fact that it was at some point exposed to spores and got mold in it.

Continuing with your logic, you'd have to stop buying anything that can get moldy.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,670 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I don't know about cake mix but pancake mix, even the "Just Add Water" type, don't have yeast in them. Yeast is not used for pancakes. What makes them rise and get fluffy is the baking powder.

The "Just Add Water" type of pancake mix has dried eggs and powder butter milk in it. That might be what became toxic, if that's what she used but otherwise, there isn't much in there that could do that and especially not after cooking it.

I guess anything could develop mold if not stored properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
678 Posts
Per Adua is right.


Anything can get moldy. The expiration date is not magic. If I stored the pancake mix in a plastic baggie in my larder, it would stay good way past the expiration date. My home stays at a comfortable temperature and humidity level, the baggie would further protect the contents from mold-growing spores and humidity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
If the food taste or smells funny then don't eat it. Also, the vast majority of the population will not have a sever allergic reaction to eating a little mold. This was an ALLERGIC reaction. Throwing out perfectly good food that is stored properly, just because it is technically outdated, is stupid for most people. Throwing out all your biscuit and pancake mix makes as much sense as banning all peanuts in airplanes because someone might be allergic.

If things get crazy, I won't care how old the pancake mix is. I will just be glad that I have something to eat.

Of course, if you live in a hot climate with high humidity, then you might have to be more careful. I've eaten things years after I bought them in the clearance section. But If I even think that their is an off taste/color/flavor, then it gets tossed to the chickens. I also don't live in an area where food goes bad as easy. For the pancakes in this article to 'taste funny' then they must have had a very high mold content.
 

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
Joined
·
6,173 Posts
We eat bread all the time that has had mold on it -just tear the edge off and eat away. I guess the mold would be similar on/in the two wouldn't it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,790 Posts
We eat bread all the time that has had mold on it -just tear the edge off and eat away. I guess the mold would be similar on/in the two wouldn't it?
Possibly. The issue with the person that died (which was not necessarily the one reported in the original message) is that the victim also suffered from allergies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,268 Posts
I wonder if stickin the mix in the freezer after opening the box would have prevented that.... I do that with my flour if for some reason I get a bag rather than using the bulk stuff...
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top