Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey everyone!
i was watching youtube the other day, and i saw how little people were able to produce a decent bow and arrow. well, bow and arrow are the oldest weapons around, and IS the oldest ranged weapon. we all know, a bow you make yourself, can never outmatch a modern bow or a riffle/gun. but, it can save your life in survival situations to have a simple bow in your hand. it really is quite simple, you just have to know it. so i thought, i put a post on about making a simple bow. this technique is also what the american army teaches in the U.S. Army Survival Manual. so that figures! many people start of by looking for a slightly bent stick... you rather not use a stick, but real wood, wich you found or chopped. this is what you do:
find a willow tree.
you can use the bark to make the string, you just take the bark, boil it and let it dry. your string is ready.
then use the wood of the willow to make the frame of your bow. willow has the tendency to bend very far before breaking. now, you make sure the wood you use is straight, the bending will occur when you put tention on the string. if the wood is a little hard and wont bend nicely, you can use hot water to form it. so now you have to imagine: the wood block you have is as long as you are, while standing up. the bigger, the greater the power of your bow. look at the image on how to cut the block.

offcourse, bow making is a real trade, or well, it used to be... the quality off your bow depends on your skill, the wood, the materials you use to enforce, the after treatment, even the weather makes a different. but this bow will be ready within 2 hours and you have a better change of making prey and as a result, to survive.

·
barking at the moon
248 Posts
Ever hear of the atl atl and throwing spear? predates the bow by about 10,000 years as ranged weapons go, only thing older are the stick and the rock. Check out paleoplanet.com for primative bow making, flintnapping, and the WAA ( world atlatl assn.)

ED

1 - 2 of 2 Posts