Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Care to share any details of your equipment, like rifle, caliber, scope, accommodations, etc? I understand if not.

Is that your dog?

And, it's winter there now, correct? Looks like nice, mild weather. Reminds me of my south TX hunts.

Sorry, not being nosy, just curious.
Thanks for sharing the pics,
The one of you standing in front of the tree…….WOW!
Yeah, WOW! I completely missed that the first time. Hard to see on my phone. Looks like 30 foot diameter, or more. Baobab?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I take no satisfaction in sport killing, and really don't understand it.
I'm the same way. I have never had a head mounted even when I shot a 12 point whitetail. I hunt for the meat and normally let the bucks with nice racks go for those who like horns. I will take the dry does and rag horn bucks ever chance I get. The 12 point I shot was the worst meat I ever tried to eat. Even the dog wouldn't eat it. What a total waste of an animal.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Care to share any details of your equipment, like rifle, caliber, scope, accommodations, etc? I understand if not.

Is that your dog?

And, it's winter there now, correct? Looks like nice, mild weather. Reminds me of my south TX hunts.

Sorry, not being nosy, just curious.

Yeah, WOW! I completely missed that the first time. Hard to see on my phone. Looks like 30 foot diameter, or more. Baobab?
Colt/Sauer .300 win mag. Don’t know the scope or suppressor make. Guide’s rifle.
Kudo w/180 gr SGK with reloads 225 yards
Blesbok w/180 SGK with reloads 160 yards

RAVIN 29X Crossbow w/SIG BDX 3.5-10x-44 matched to SIG KILO3000 BDX binoculars
w/500 gr RAVIN and 315 gr Ed Ashby’s
Sable @ 37 yards
Impala @ 22 yards
Warthog at 18 yards
w/400 gr RAVIN and 100 gr Rage Hypodermic
Golden Wildebeast @ 44 yards
Blue Wildebeast @ 51 yards

Accommodations were typical African hunting camp. Food was what we shot and local preparations. Weather 50/75 daily. Yes winter. No bugs or flies. about the same as my West Tx winters.

Yes Baobab. No not my dog, but Gibbs is a good doggo as long as you’re on the right side.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I take no satisfaction in sport killing, and really don't understand it.
I tend to agree however provided the meat is used as is the case here I don't have a problem with it.

The price hunters are willing to pay for those hunts does go right back into conservation so it's a win for everyone. The hunter gets an amazing experience, locals get meat, and conservation agencies aquire rhe funds to keep their operations going.

Many people that don't understand hunting and wild game management don't quite understand how hunters can conservationists but they very much are. The most heavily hunted species in the US are also the most plentiful. Thanks in part to hunters paying for the privilege to take animals within regulations that ensure a healthy population.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Lol. Hoping he tells about his guide a bit.
I'm sure the guide was first rate judging by the pics but still, 22 yards on lion shy impalas is still impressive I must say.

I know one guy that shelled out the cash for an African safari hunt. We grew up chasing northeast white tails and lazy black bears. He told me there's a galaxy of difference between American deer that have few if any natural predators with ungulates that deal with lions and cheetahs on a daily basis.

Makes sense to me and I respect anyone that can stalk that close to critters that deal with serious big cats every damn day.

In my younger days I was an avid bow hunter. I hated sitting in tree stands and took the hard way about it. I managed a few deer, mostly young does by glass and stalk but got skunked many a season because I goofed and bumped em.

Stalking and game to bow shot distances is hard work. Stalking heavily predated game like Africa can impala and gazelle IS ninja skills to me.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I've got a friend that lives in Texas that's invited
Cloud Sky Plant Grass Terrestrial animal
me on a hunt for these. Yes, there's a viable population of these in south Texas. We both drive trucks so we are working out the logistics to make it happen. I want one of these bad boys.

I go every third year to either Colorado or New Mexico for elk and Mule deer. Might be changing that rotation to hunt these.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
My primary reason for hunting is packing the freezers but I'd be a stone cold liar if I said that was the ONLY reason.

I'd hunt brown bears but coastal bears tend to not taste good and Montana grizzly tags for an animal I might never see...can't justify the cost.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
I've got a friend that lives in Texas that's invited View attachment 457845 me on a hunt for these. Yes, there's a viable population of these in south Texas. We both drive trucks so we are working out the logistics to make it happen. I want one of these bad boys.

I go every third year to either Colorado or New Mexico for elk and Mule deer. Might be changing that rotation to hunt these.
They are tasty too.

Fun Art Entertainment Curtain Tree

21 - 40 of 41 Posts