Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Say when
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say it's a few months in, and you are still alive and well. However, you have a child, or really just anyone, and this person is injured, i.e. broken bone, puncture wound, some kind of injury where you and the injured child/person would really appreciate some kind of inhibitor.
You are all out of your painkillers (even Ibuprofen and Aceteminophen).
You still have some hard liquor (Whiskey, Vodka, Tequilla), however the child/person gags when you try to give alcohol orally, even when watered down.
You're running out of options, and the child/person has not slept and is writhing in pain.

You still have whatever preps you have not used through the last few months.

Any ideas to ease the pain and perhaps calm the child/person???

I have an idea, would like to see what the board may come up with though first ;)

·
Say when
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ Staxx, it's hypothetical, maybe it's been a rough few months and have had to use a lot. Or we can say it's a year or two in, and you are out of pain killers.

@ judyt00, ok, i like the thought, and would be a viable option if there are some willow trees close by.

·
Gypsy in the Midwest
1,156 Posts
<SHTF/Wrol... Mary jane. It can be made into a paste (& applied to skin), cooked into food or a tea. I lived in a state where people had medical cards & I knew an old lady that NEVER smoked it but used it in cream form for arthritis. Obviously a person could smoke it but for a child that might not be an option. You could do the upside down wine glass method to get the child to smoke it but I'd feel weird doing that. I don't stock mary jane but like most people I *think* I know where I could get some. Most of us know who *that person* is in a small town. And I'd trade *that person* for some seeds & a baggie if SHTF. >

Liquor can be poured over a cake or soaked into fruit to make it taste better. Add it to tea. Make a "girly drink". It's not that hard to make it taste good. Jello would work if you could get it cold enough to set up.

Benydrl / antihistamines can be given to help a person sleep.

Children sometime react differently. A cup of coffee/ tea with caffeine will put some kids to sleep. (Depending on the kid)

·
Vae Victis
795 Posts
If you had any dehydrated fruit, you could drop them in some vodka or similar liquor. It would help mask the taste, or find some other way to cover it. Any fruit juices or drink mix would do. Mix it in with canned fruit of some kind, or take the syrup from it and cut it 50/50. Pretend you're a bartender catering to spoiled, yuppie twentysomethings intent on destroying their liver. If you have any candy, drop it in there with a good dose of sugar to sweeten it up. If kids can choke down liquid Robitussin, I don't see why a little taste of Kentucky would be a problem for them to drink. I'll take that trade any day of the week. If the pain is THAT bad, unless they are very small, I'd think they would eventually do anything to stop it. I dunno, just a thought.

·
Say when
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ Lordopie, it's not about trying to get them drunk...well, i guess it would be, mildly drunk, to help with the pain. I think if you ask any parent, if there was a way to ease their childs pain, and there was no meds and in a shtf type of scenario, alcohol may be an option. Hell, how many people here have rubbed a little whiskey on a teething baby's gums???

@monamomma, Hmmmm....haven't really thought about Marijuana, I wouldn't have any of that stocked. Yes, a "girly" drink may work, if you have the "girly" ingredients. And i've never heard of coffee/tea putting a child to sleep, interested to know the science behind that

·
Gypsy in the Midwest
1,156 Posts
how old are these hypothetical children that you're trying to get drunk?
Hubby had liquor rubbed on his gums for when he was teething. I doubt it was enough to get him "drunk". This is not a new concept. Talk to your parents & grandparents. People have used alcohol for pain relief (even in children *gasp*) for ages.

I wouldn't give a child alcohol UNLESS there was no other viable alternatives. However, it is something that a person shouldn't dismiss just because it is not politically correct. We are lucky to have anbesol, tylenol, and all the other stuff at every corner grocery store. If there is ever a time when those things are not available, alternatives should be considered.

(**I highly recommend a person prints out weight to medication charts. You can't give an infant adult doses of medication & you should know how much to give. This is very important info!!!****)

·
Say when
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ ravinglawyer, That reminds me of this girl i knew about 20 years ago, she did basically what you said about the dried fruit, except she would soak Gummy Bears in vodka for a day or two, they would absorb all the vodka, and the taste of the gummy bears wouldn't be altered much, it was strange. Cutting with fruit syrup prob would mask it fine, that is some sugary liquid.

@9mm, myself, nor anyone in my family are regularly prescribed pain meds, this was just a hypothetical situation to tease the brain on ways to help with pain if need be.

·
Registered
632 Posts
@ ravinglawyer, That reminds me of this girl i knew about 20 years ago, she did basically what you said about the dried fruit, except she would soak Gummy Bears in vodka for a day or two, they would absorb all the vodka, and the taste of the gummy bears wouldn't be altered much, it was strange. Cutting with fruit syrup prob would mask it fine, that is some sugary liquid.

@9mm, myself, nor anyone in my family are regularly prescribed pain meds, this was just a hypothetical situation to tease the brain on ways to help with pain if need be.
and that is why I have liqueurs in the house. a capful of 3 different ones in a glass of and the kid thinks its candy flavoured drink

·
Say when
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A lot of good responses, I obviously hope that I would never have a situation like this arise, but I tend to let my mind run wildly at times. I actually work in the medical field (kind of), as a Firefighter in a fairly large city, and I remember reading an article years ago that kind of got my mind running on this.
And before I start getting any hatred on this idea, remember, I do not condone this, and this would be a last ditch remedy, and would be done at small amounts and long intervals.
But believe it or not, introducing alcohol through the anus is a faster way to introduce alcohol to the blood stream, faster than orally. However, your body does not have its natural abilities to reject the alcohol when too much is introduced (i.e. vomiting, passing out).

I was just simply wanting to maybe offer another solution to pain, if all you had was alcohol, and a child or someone that couldn't ingest the alcohol orally without gagging. alcohol has been used as a pain inhibitor for hundreds of years, and in a worst case scenario will more than likely be looked to again.

·
Get off my lawn
4,960 Posts
CMO,

Walgreens (your store name may differ) offers generic aspirin for 1.00/100. Does a good job of dulling common pains like tooth, ear and headache. Hard on the stomach but good for the blood pressure. All drugs have ups and downs.

Like you and a couple others mentioned, giving a kid a little liquid dope isn't a crime. Helps with sore throats, fevers, and other ailments. Our society is too run a-muck with correctness. Warm tea with a spritz of whiskey can and does help them sleep. I don't drink whiskey but keep around an unopened bottle simply for tasks not related to getting buzzed.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
14,148 Posts
Painkillers won't do you any good if you are dying of thirst or starvation

There's really a lot of things a person needs to think about when it comes to survival.

Antibiotics may very well be more important.

You always need to save at least one bullet

Reactions: cmo1037

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Why are you on pain killers? I have had knees surgeries and back surgery and the one way to minimize pain is to keep the weight down. If anyone is over weight and truly fears a SHTF .. then I suggest that you get on a diet and exercise to get into shape. Getting the needless weight off the joints helps more than you know. If you are type 2 diabetes due to overweight, there is a good chance that you won't need the meds anymore once you shed that weight. I just heard on the news earlier today that 2/3's of Americans are obese. That is just mind boggling and totally unnecessary.

What we need to do is get OFF the drug dependency to fix health problems, eliminate the reason that is causing the pain if it is at all possible.

·
Say when
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@ catapult, yes sir, a "hot toddy" (water, honey, lemon juice, and a little whiskey) does wonders for a sore throat especially, since there isn't much to ease the throat pain. And agree, Aspirin is a cheap item that should be stocked up on, and a side note, as well as being hard on the stomach, aspirin along with ibuprofen and aceteminophen are really hard on the liver as well.

@manyfeathers, Agreed. Just trying to keep the wheels turnin', God help us if we ever get to such a point.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.