Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Live Action
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone I have decided to get my first AK. I am one of those people who read debate forums regarding weapons for hours and hours. That being said I have narrowed it down to the Arsenal SLR-107 and the Arsenal SAM7-61. I will not be able to shoot either firearm before my purchase so I am trying to make the best choice for which one to acquire.

Questions:

1) Arsenals site claims the SAM7 (milled version) is 8 lb which is only .7 lbs more than the SLR-107 (stamped). Are these numbers somewhat accurate? According to most forums about stamped vs milled they make it seem the milled in at least 2 lbs heavier but this doesn't seem to be the case here.

2) Is there a noticeable smoothness difference between the two? I have only read online that milled in better but I would like input from you AK gurus who own both.

3) AK noob question (don't attack me too much :D:) I read that most stamped AKs rattle and do not feel as well built. Is it true that milled just feel more solidly built (not just based off weight)? I am fully aware that both with last a lifetime or more so this isn't about durability just quality feel.

-I am set on the Arsenal brand and the 7.62x39 caliber
-Price is not an issue
-Please don't turn this into a milled vs stamped debate
-I know the original AK was meant to be stamped but my goal isn't authenticity for this rifle
-Please keep ARs out of this thread. I love them but this is about AKs

Thanks for your help!

·
The Time Is Now
6,398 Posts
I know you said you are not going to be able to shoot them in advance. But I have to stress that the only way to answer your question is for you to actually go hold, fondle, and shoot each one. If this is going to be your main go to rifle, and you are going to put your life into it, then it would pay dividends to go shoot them. I'm sure there is a range some where within driving distance that could accommodate you.

That being said, they are both good weapons. Arsenal are great guns. Personally, I liked the milled better. They seem smoother. That being said, they are AKs so don't expect a Barrett sniper rifle.

Good luck!

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I read that most stamped AKs rattle and do not feel as well built......
Silly statements like this may give the impression that you're not nearly as well-read and informed about AK's as you claim. The "smoothness" question doesn't do much to alleviate this.
Also, if,as you claim, you understand the origins of the milled and stamped recievers, you'd know it doesn't make a hill O' beans, in the modern, real world.
The main differences are in weight and cost (stamped typically weighing and costing less).
If you're set on an Arsenal ( no objections, they're all great), then get the one that looks and feels good to you, and/or the one that you're getting the best price on (actually,ESPECIALLY,the one you're getting the best price on).
As far as quality and "smoothness" go, you won't ever be able to tell a difference.

·
Live Action
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Silly statements like this may give the impression that you're not nearly as well-read and informed about AK's as you claim. The "smoothness" question doesn't do much to alleviate this.
I am sorry that all the forums that I read regarding stamped vs milled weren't up to your standards. I suppose it is possible that the information I have read was incorrect. It seemed each one stated about smoothness of a milled vs stamped. I was trying to get personal experience from owners of both.

I do not see how this is foolish as I have never fired either type, most forum posters claimed milled functioned smoother, and most forums stated it is not unusual for stamped AKs to rattle some and possibly have sharp edges. Like I stated I have never fired one so how would I know? Your comment was useless information and there was no need for you to even post this.

Also, if,as you claim, you understand the origins of the milled and stamped recievers, you'd know it doesn't make a hill O' beans, in the modern, real world.The main differences are in weight and cost (stamped typically weighing and costing less).
Why do you have to come off as an ass in this statement? I know only what I read. I never called myself an expert which I am not even close to, especially regarding AKs. I simply know that stamped was the original design. The purpose of stating this was because a lot of people use this as a reason to justify stamped AKs.

These are the questions I could not find answered online. It would of been better if you just stated that the only differences are weight and cost, same as most people on these other forums stated. Then again there is a crowd of people who are all about milled, then some all about stamped. To them it seems to make a difference.

If you're set on an Arsenal ( no objections, they're all great), then get the one that looks and feels good to you, and/or the one that you're getting the best price on (actually,ESPECIALLY,the one you're getting the best price on).As far as quality and "smoothness" go, you won't ever be able to tell a difference.
Thank you for this bit of information. I wish your other statements were mature and helpful such as this one. That being said I have not seen Arsenals in any gun stores that I go to. I can hold a stamped AK of a different brand but that does me no good in comparison to feeling a milled. Obviously the best priced one would be the SLR-107 at about 300 cheaper but price is not an issue regarding these 2 firearms.

·
Live Action
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know you said you are not going to be able to shoot them in advance. But I have to stress that the only way to answer your question is for you to actually go hold, fondle, and shoot each one. If this is going to be your main go to rifle, and you are going to put your life into it, then it would pay dividends to go shoot them.
I appreciate the advice. This rifle will not be my main rifle. Just one to shoot at the range and to round out the collection.

I'm sure there is a range some where within driving distance that could accommodate you.
The only range I know of around me that does not require memberships is Dragonmans. The place is awesome but he doesn't allow rentals. I will extend my range to see if I can find a place.

That being said, they are both good weapons. Arsenal are great guns. Personally, I liked the milled better. They seem smoother. That being said, they are AKs so don't expect a Barrett sniper rifle.
I have no intent for a precision rifle. I have plenty of bolt actions for that. I keep reading they seem smoother. Probably not going to get any more definitive of an answer unless I was able to handle one.

Thanks for your help!

·
Anti-Communist
718 Posts
They are both excellent rifles. The SAM7 is All American made while the other is bulgarian. Bulgarian ak's are known to be some of the best aks money can buy. Either one is excellent. If the ak is quality there will be no rattle whatsoever, except for maybe the bolt. As far as practical durability, there is no difference.

·
Tactical Tinkerer
388 Posts
I own and shoot an Arsnal milled ak.I have shot (back to back) stamped units with my milled one and the milled is smoother,heavier,and from a rest,slightly more accurate.Shooting offhand with the open sights either one will shoot better than you can. The milled rifle just has a nicer "feel" and sound when it goes into battery.I'll put up with the extra pound or so. If I want to hump a lightwieght,I have an ar for that.

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
-I am set on the Arsenal brand and the 7.62x39 caliber
-Price is not an issue
-Please don't turn this into a milled vs stamped debate
Thanks for your help!
Sounds like you already made up your mind, so there really is nothing to discuss. Enjoy your Arsenal :thumb:

·
Live Action
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only brand and caliber has been decided at the beginning of this forum. The point of this thread was which model. Regardless of what the point was I have made my decision based off of answers from other forum sites and the few helpful ones from this site. Thanks everyone who assisted.

·
The Time Is Now
6,398 Posts
I appreciate the advice. This rifle will not be my main rifle. Just one to shoot at the range and to round out the collection.

The only range I know of around me that does not require memberships is Dragonmans. The place is awesome but he doesn't allow rentals. I will extend my range to see if I can find a place.

I have no intent for a precision rifle. I have plenty of bolt actions for that. I keep reading they seem smoother. Probably not going to get any more definitive of an answer unless I was able to handle one.

Thanks for your help!
No worries.

On further thought, I would get the cheapest priced one.

Good luck

·
Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
2,529 Posts
Friend, let me tell you... Arsenal is a damn fine weapon, no doubt... but dig deep to get one.

Truth be known, a nice WASR or Yugo is ALSO a damn fine weapon and cost maybe 1/2 as much.

Two WASRs here, the daughter and I both have one and trust our lives with it.

I cant make it any simpler than that.

Its akin to a Kimber vs. Rock Island. The Rock is a damn damn damn fine weapon, the Kimber is damn fine X 10. If your on a budget, its perfectly acceptable to get a damn damn damn fine weapon for less money!

GL friend,
EB

·
Live Action
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks ElevenBravo29th! My budget goes to about 1700 for this firearm purchase so I am not worried about that. I plan on only buying one AK just so I can have one in my collection and something different to plink around with. Then again I believe every gun owner starts out thinking one is plenty :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
You shouldn't have to spend nearly that much to get a solid Arsenal. Personally, milled isn't worth the added cost. I owned some milled, some stamped, and stamped is just fine.

·
Registered
480 Posts
+1 on the Arsenal. I have an Arsenal SGL21 (stamped) and have shot a milled variety of their AKs as well. Fit and finish with the stamped receiver is not an issue with Arsenal, there is no wiggle or rattle.

Mind if I ask where you are buying from? Whichever one you go with you are about to purchase a top shelf AK, enjoy!

·
Live Action
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is the one I have been eyeballing, really would like a side/under folder just in case I need to throw it in a backpack or something.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...62x39-side-folding-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0
I was looking at that same model actually and from the same website. I am leaning towards the SLR-107SF over the SAM7.

First I am gonna go around to a few local gun stores this weekend to see if by chance they have an Arsenal in stock. That way I can at least have some hands on and if they had the model I want then I would gladly pay a few dollars extra to support a local businesses. My main store I use doesn't carry AKs sadly. If I can't find an Arsenal then I will probably go through Atlantic Firearms as I have heard good things about them. They have better prices than most NIB Arsenals on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I was looking at that same model actually and from the same website. I am leaning towards the SLR-107SF over the SAM7.

First I am gonna go around to a few local gun stores this weekend to see if by chance they have an Arsenal in stock. That way I can at least have some hands on and if they had the model I want then I would gladly pay a few dollars extra to support a local businesses. My main store I use doesn't carry AKs sadly. If I can't find an Arsenal then I will probably go through Atlantic Firearms as I have heard good things about them. They have better prices than most NIB Arsenals on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica.
Agree with your plan to try to handle before you buy. Bought mine from Atlantic and had no issues, they were fast and a pleasure to deal with.

Please post what you end up doing, I am interested to hear what you settle on and where you buy.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Buy a stamped reciever, arsenal is great. I had the SLR101 and it was heavy.

I would buy one in the $1000 range and spend the rest on mags and ammo.

·
Registered
404 Posts
This rifle will not be my main rifle. Just one to shoot at the range and to round out the collection
funny thing, I said this when I built my Polish AK. It was going to be a collector's item that I was going to keep in my safe. Now it is the only firearm that is next to me when I close my eyes at night.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts