Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Storyteller
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since New Years is around the corner and you should check all of ther OTC meds for expiry dates...

I've found the little OTC versions of popular pain meds are sold in, a rugged and water resistant container.

These are just the right size to carry strike anywhere matches.

Just a quick note for a Thanksgiving day if you are sorting thru your FAK.
Enjoy

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
My late father taught me to keep a dozen waterproofed, strike-anywhere matches and three birthday cake candles inserted inside an empty 16-ga. shotgun shell. That was then inserted into an empty 12-ga. shell having three small 5g Esbit tabs or Vaseline-infused cotton balls tucked inside. After telescoping together the assembly was sealed with rubber tape, which also makes a good expedient fuel.

Today I carry a similar kit but without the matches, instead having a flint-wheel striker, more candles and Vaseline- infused cotton balls. With those, a few Esbit cubes and the rubber tape you have material for several fires in any weather, if you have your K-bar to split open and shave damp wood.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
DKR..sorry for the topic drift,but do you have "true" Ohio Blue tip strike anywhere?
Havent seen any new ones in 15 years,old stock I bought some..gave up looking abot 5 years ago.They have green ones that need a striker..but old style are hens teeth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts