Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im am 14 years old and ready. My family goes on an annual camping trip and i think as part of this years trip im will leave around midday friday and come back midday saturday. in this time i will be testing the skills i have and using my camping pack shown here:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?p=270532#post270532

the goals are as follows:
1 hour hike with full gear
build a type of shelter
make a fire
cook a meal
identify/sample various edible plants/insects

if you have any advice to offer please let me know. i know im going to be scared out of my pants once its dark but if i plan on doing it in the future you can never start to early. thanks

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Dear brock:

you may want to leave some of your blades at home to cut down on weight. Do you have a poncho with you? Use it as a tarp. If you have some mosqito netting it is very lite and comes in handy. Most of all don't be scared. Please let people know where you are going and when you plan to be back. Don't push yourself if you are not ready. Be wise. Know when to say no. A good survivalist knows when you say something is not right. Be sure you have signal materials like mirror, loud whistle, brightly colored (Orange) material, and if it works take a cell phone. I am surprised how manyplaces they work.

Most of all be wise and take care.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
...the goals are as follows:
1 hour hike with full gear
build a type of shelter
make a fire
cook a meal
identify/sample various edible plants/insects

if you have any advice to offer please let me know. i know im going to be scared out of my pants once its dark but if i plan on doing it in the future you can never start to early. thanks
Brock,

An alternative is that you do all your goals, but only a couple hundred yards from your folk's campsite. You're "on your own", but not so far away that you can't call in the Cavalry if you need it. Hike 30 min out and 30 min back if you want to check the hiking ability. This way you can accomplish your goals with a minimum of risk to yourself (haven't done this before) AND more importantly your folks will likely be more at ease about the whole thing.

Can we assume you've already made a fire, cooked a meal and gathered edible plants before under some type of supervision? That this is just an opportunity for you to do it all on your own? If not then you should probably practice a few times in a more controlled environment before trying it off by yourself.

Good luck,

Allan

·
Registered
774 Posts
Don't do it. Stay close to your family. Or we'll probably be seeing yet another news story about a search for a lost kid in the woods.

·
Dingleberry
156 Posts
I agree with the previous posters abuot staying closer to "base camp" on your first over-night adventure on your own. You'll still get a great chance to use and test all your equipment, but you'll be close enough if you really need something.
I'd also suggest for a future hike to just bring one of your fixed-blade knives, a multi-tool, and your hatchet insted of your entire collection. It's just overkill for a woodsman or survivalist to carry that many knives on a backpacking trip!

·
just doin my job..
421 Posts
well I think you've got a good idea, but it might be better for you to bring your dad along for the real camping part.. or even just being a couple hundered yards away like some have already suggested..

Im 16 and I go out by myself for daytrips all the time.. I generally go to one spot tho and I follow a creek off a trail to get there.. my dad knows how to get there incase of an emergency as he's been back before. I spent a few nights out there with some friends, and some with just one friend who is younger then I..

always bring a cell if you can, but if you're going to be reasonably close to your parents atleast bring a loud sharp whistle. bring enough food to last a couple days ( I see you have your MREs already) just incase..

I don't see anything wrong with all the knives aslong as you are willing to carry them. they can be nice to adore when you're bored :)

make sure you always know your way out. or make sure you're with someone who can atleast help you find the way out... in my case the forest we go to is across the street from me and its small enough that I couldn't wander around for anymore then an hour before hitting a trail or a major hiway..

thats about all I have to say.. just make sure you'll be safe (it appears you've already thought that out anyways). and make sure that you have fun.. happy ventures! :)

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
First of all where are you going? If you are going to some sort of park that has "lots" for camp sites. Great, choose a site that's a few down from your parents. And camp there alone for the night. You will get the same feeling once night falls, trust me I still get it to this day.

As for making a shelter make sure at first it's allowed by any DNR agents, as others have found out most parks frown upon it. Don't cut any living wood, you are not in an actual survival situation so "Leave no Trace". As well you will get fined big time if a ranger catches you.

Take everything in steps, I think it's great you are wanting to try it solo but keep in mind your boundries and abilities. Take everything in small steps.

Let us know how it all goes.

·
just doin my job..
421 Posts
OHH, and just read your post again.. another thought.. dont be scared of your surroundings. aslong as you are minding your self and not bothering any animals they shouldn't bother you. it always helps to have a fire going if you're concerned tho...
on our last trip to the bush we were awake at about 3 in the morning and for a good 35 minutes all we could hear was a pack of wolves around us.. we figure they ran down a deer or something in a nearby field and were enjoying supper.. we weren't worried (the noises put me to sleep) because I have been told that they don't wander into the bush especially when they are hungry and there are crop fields nearby..

you'll be fine. just don't get anxious or scared. remember that anything that might be in there is more scared of you then you are of it.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
Congratulations. Sounds like you have a plan. I was about that age when I had my first outdoor survival campout, but it was unintentional. If you want to carry all that gear, fine, it's up to you. Hiking an hour out means you'll have to hike an hour back, too. I agree with others that it would probably be better to hike a half hour out and half hour back, then camp closer to your family, but still a hundred yards or so away to be alone. Learn to identify a few local edible plants and bugs under qualified supervision, then eat only what you can identify for sure and are certain is OK. This is no time to experiment. Bring plenty of water, and several ways to start fires. You'll only need one fire, if legal to have any at all, but it's fun and a good time passer to start fires in different ways, then immediately put them out,for practice under field conditions. You'll want a poncho or tarp or something for shelter from dew, frost, rain, or whatever. We all need our own space.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Amen brother.

Brock,

An alternative is that you do all your goals, but only a couple hundred yards from your folk's campsite. You're "on your own", but not so far away that you can't call in the Cavalry if you need it. Hike 30 min out and 30 min back if you want to check the hiking ability. This way you can accomplish your goals with a minimum of risk to yourself (haven't done this before) AND more importantly your folks will likely be more at ease about the whole thing.

Can we assume you've already made a fire, cooked a meal and gathered edible plants before under some type of supervision? That this is just an opportunity for you to do it all on your own? If not then you should probably practice a few times in a more controlled environment before trying it off by yourself.

Good luck,

Allan

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
you could bring a GPS along and breadcrumb your way back for a backup plan and maybe to ease your parents. Just don't consult the GPS unless you HAVE TO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts