Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things seem to have got rather off track of late. A few respectful suggestions to get things rolling again would be

1. Close the Darkside
  2. Close the Alternative Politics
  3. Close the Religious Discussion
  4. Close the 2012 forum
  5. No longer encourage discussion on any of these topics
  6. Start a "topic of the week" sticky whereby user written threads on particular topics are encouraged
That's just my .02 - thanks.

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
You're a little late...and redundant. Similar attempts at censoring the content of this website have been made before and are still being made all the time.

Here is a suggestion for you and for everyone else who likes to get their panties in a knot over what people are interested in posting and reading:

Set this website up so that it opens at the forum listing page. Then select from that list the forum that you're interested in. Click on it and read the specific threads that appeal to you.

Bunch of control freaks....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bunch of control freaks....:rolleyes:

My mother always said if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything. Since it would seem that people are unable to discuss these non-survival related topics politely, why not simply stop discussing them at all?

Or at the very least relegate them all to a generalised Off Topic section down at the bottom of the forum hierarchy where it belongs.

I'm the last person who would be censorious, but I come to Survivalistboards to learn about survival techniques and pointers. I don't come here to engage in mudslinging, political or religious arguments. I've done this as much as the next guy, but now it has completely taken over the site and (in my view) ruined what was a good resource.

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
I'm the last person who would be censorious, but I come to Survivalistboards to learn about survival techniques and pointers. I don't come here to engage in mudslinging, political or religious arguments. I've done this as much as the next guy, but now it has completely taken over the site and (in my view) ruined what was a good resource.
He, um, does have a point...

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
My mother always said if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything. Since it would seem that people are unable to discuss these non-survival related topics politely, why not simply stop discussing them at all?

Or at the very least relegate them all to a generalised Off Topic section down at the bottom of the forum hierarchy where it belongs.

Since you already know where the troubles occur don't visit those forums and threads. It is kind of like taking a long walk in your home town you avoid the places you don't like.

The political forum is for politics, the religious forum is for discussing religion(and all the bickering that goes with it), the dark side is an out let for everything not allowed on the rest of the board.

If it spills into a forum or thread you find useful then I think you have a valid comment otherwise avoidence is the best tactic.

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
I'm the last person who would be censorious, but I come to Survivalistboards to learn about survival techniques and pointers. I don't come here to engage in mudslinging, political or religious arguments.
Check this out:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/

When open that link, you will see this:

Say that you don't want to read about religion. You browse the titles on that page and find the one that you are interested in reading about. Let's say you want to read about Wilderness Survival, Camping and Hiking.

You point your cursor to that title...circled in red here...

...click on it and ...presto changeo...you are now in a section that contains nothing but what you are interested in reading about.

Repeat with any other sections of the forum as desired.

How hard a concept is that for you people?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How hard a concept is that for you people?
I can't speak for anyone else, but the problem with that concept for me is as follows:

I have general interests in survival. I don't just read the hunting section, or the urban section, or the British section. To save me having to visit each and every subforum, I use the "read new posts" button. That list is now absolutely full of non-survival related material.

I shouldn't have to manually browse subforums just to find actual survival related threads on a survival related forum.

But that's just my opinion, feel free to take it or leave it.

·
pseudo-conformist
831 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else, but the problem with that concept for me is as follows:

I have general interests in survival. I don't just read the hunting section, or the urban section, or the British section. To save me having to visit each and every subforum, I use the "read new posts" button. That list is now absolutely full of non-survival related material.

I shouldn't have to manually browse subforums just to find actual survival related threads on a survival related forum.

But that's just my opinion, feel free to take it or leave it.
Totally agree...finding "survival/bushcraft/self-sufficiency" stuff seems to involve a major search first. The domain "survivalistboards.com" is almost a tease when "socio-political-theological-survivalistboards.com" would perhaps be more appropriate?

...I have got involved in those discussions myself but only through "distraction" and its not why I joined the site :)

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
Totally agree...finding "survival/bushcraft/self-sufficiency" stuff seems to involve a major search first. The domain "survivalistboards.com" is almost a tease when "socio-political-theological-survivalistboards.com" would perhaps be more appropriate?

...I have got involved in those discussions myself but only through "distraction" and its not why I joined the site :)
I have noticed that the folks on the "other side of the pond" tend to prefer the threads on how to make primitive tools aka bushcraft. Perhaps Kev woulve be open to starting a bushcraft forum?

I would like to see that myself.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Ok guys, heres what I do:

Go to the main page, open the forum section you want to view and keep up to date with, then in the upper right hand corner click on the Forum Tools and select Subscribe to this Forum.
Do it with as many forum sections your interested in and then any time you go to your User Control Panel, it comes up with an easy link to the forum sections your interested in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts