Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Homesteader / Workershare
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the macro photos of these flowers fascinating...thought you guys would enjoy them too.

I am growing quinoa for the first time this year. I actually attempted to grow it last year, but found out after all of my diligent weeding that all that lambs quarters I thought I was pulling was actually my poor quinoa seedlings.

This year my quinoa patch has grown pretty much undisturbed until now. At 5.5 feet, it waves over my head in the breeze. But otherwise it doesn't draw notice. It looks like a boring green weed and I haven't visited the patch much because it's full enough to hold it's own against real weeds.

Click here for the full sized pic.

This week though, I took a closer look at it wondering when it was going to go to flower. At was surprised to see it was in flower. Each tiny bud looked like it had tiny yellow alien antennas. They are so small I didn't even realize those antennas extended all around in a full flower. I decided to take a pic to share it with you and was blown away at the detail my cameras macro caught. It's a whole other world in there!

I included links to the full sized pictures below the photos, they really show what I mean.

For scale, here's how it compares to my finger. I hope this picture isn't too racy for the thread, I seem to have pollinated myself a bit :D

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing how many square feet you planted and what the yield of grain was. Thanks for sharing your photos with us!

·
silenced
3,002 Posts
awesome photos.
awesome job

i love quinoa, i have a bunch stored, got 50lbs recently and by end of yr hope to have another 50lbs stored in mylar for shtf

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
i have some seeds but did not put them in this year. Has anyone tried to grow Quinoa in the Florida area?
We just sprout the stuff we got in bulk for sanwiches and such. Sprouts great taste good also. So after seeing what it looks like I might just try a patch and see next year thanks.

·
Homesteader / Workershare
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the same thing Chey's and use it all the time. It cooks like rice and can be used like rice, but it's high protein and delicious :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts