Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[listening to space music, thinking music...]

I cannot express my gratitude sufficiently for being permitted to join this forum. I have been honored to have met some great individuals here and have learned much.

This place has proven to be my primary news source for events and circumstances relative to the abysmal state of the economy [thank you, Declan].

I have 4 days off, this weekend, a function of the [government] holiday. Am I going to just relax my tired bones, seeking intellectual food for the mind and just generally chillin'?

No, I will be fortifying my home and I am just shaking my weary head over it all.

I can't afford NOT to fortify the house.

You know, for an urban dweller, I have been and am treated to being witness to many beautiful sunrises and sunsets with the view which that I have been blessed with from my home, but I will now need to obscure such to whatever degree, secondary to securing my windows.

Again, I cannot afford not to.

My back door is horribly flimsy. I have no choice but to cut a section of 5/8" or 3/4" plywood and to seal it off. That of course will leave only one point of entry and access for emergencies but then, a 12 gauge riot gun makes for an excellent 'exit tool'.

This house is going to wind up looking like a 'pill box' and I am just shaking my head. :(

I suppose that I will need to acquire some .45 ACP ammo, for my Series '70 and possibly a shoulder holster...

I need to fill my water jugs, as well.

I need to acquire a case of "Liquid Nails - Contractor Grade". This is a GREAT product to use, in securing a household.

I may run to the airbase and pick up some discarded pallets. I can use both the intact pallet and the wood.

It is going to be a very serious, 'mission-minded' weekend for me.

·
Registered
305 Posts

I cannot express my gratitude sufficiently for being permitted to join this forum. I have been honored to have met some great individuals here and have learned much.

This place has proven to be my primary news source for events and circumstances relative to the abysmal state of the economy [thank you, Declan].
I fell pretty much the same way. Thank you for the quick and up to date information everyone!

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
you have a fall back point? do other people on base think the same as you? It's never too late to develop a defense network

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you have a fall back point? do other people on base think the same as you? It's never too late to develop a defense network
If absolute chaos ensued, I could fall back to staying on base.

The base would be quite secure [it is not a good idea to mess with our SPs. They don't play].

As for setting up a 'network', I do not know. If I try to explain how bad that things are looking, it usually falls upon deaf ears with an accompanying, "What on earth are you talking about??" look.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
... Um... do you have reports of any local rioting? A high crime rate in your neighborhood? Cuz- unless you're actually seeing violence/crime in your backyard- there is no point to sealing yourself into your house. Also- you are going to want to be sure you've considered ventilation concerns for if that ever DOES become necessary. It's not a pill box you'd be looking at- it'd be a coffin.

I have 4 days off, this weekend, a function of the [government] holiday. Am I going to just relax my tired bones, seeking intellectual food for the mind and just generally chillin'?

No, I will be fortifying my home and I am just shaking my weary head over it all.

I can't afford NOT to fortify the house.

You know, for an urban dweller, I have been and am treated to being witness to many beautiful sunrises and sunsets with the view which that I have been blessed with from my home, but I will now need to obscure such to whatever degree, secondary to securing my windows.

Again, I cannot afford not to.

My back door is horribly flimsy. I have no choice but to cut a section of 5/8" or 3/4" plywood and to seal it off. That of course will leave only one point of entry and access for emergencies but then, a 12 gauge riot gun makes for an excellent 'exit tool'.

This house is going to wind up looking like a 'pill box' and I am just shaking my head. :(

I suppose that I will need to acquire some .45 ACP ammo, for my Series '70 and possibly a shoulder holster...

I need to fill my water jugs, as well.

I need to acquire a case of "Liquid Nails - Contractor Grade". This is a GREAT product to use, in securing a household.

I may run to the airbase and pick up some discarded pallets. I can use both the intact pallet and the wood.

It is going to be a very serious, 'mission-minded' weekend for me.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... Um... do you have reports of any local rioting? A high crime rate in your neighborhood? Cuz- unless you're actually seeing violence/crime in your backyard- there is no point to sealing yourself into your house. Also- you are going to want to be sure you've considered ventilation concerns for if that ever DOES become necessary. It's not a pill box you'd be looking at- it'd be a coffin.
Crime has been increasing and as I have stated in another thread, I was nearly broken into [and I was obviously home at the time].

One could construe this as being noteworthy.

I live in a mobile home, by the way. These are generally not known for their structural strength.

I live just north of Detroit. Need I say more?

The crime and undesirable elements have been migrating out to the suburbs anyway but if the economy really crashed, this trend would obviously be accelerated considerably.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Well, do take into consideration the reality of ventilation- it's a very big issue and concern. I don't know exactly what you'd have to do- but I do know you'll want to make sure you have adequate air flow. You may want to build it so you can have something like storm shutters- only on the inside? You could leave them open during the day while you were home- but close and bar them at night... Or... For structural strength- you might try something like putting the plywood on 2x4 runners top and bottom to fit the panels between- and then have slats along the runners (like a sideways ladder) so you can slide the panels out the ends or something... ? That also allows you more versatility for fire/emergency exits and the like so you can just slide them out from the inside as opposed to having them stuck on permanantly with wood glue and nails....

Crime has been increasing and as I have stated in another thread, I was nearly broken into [and I was obviously home at the time].

One could construe this as being noteworthy.

I live in a mobile home, by the way. These are generally not known for their structural strength.

I live just north of Detroit. Need I say more?

The crime and undesirable elements have been migrating out to the suburbs anyway but if the economy really crashed, this trend would obviously be accelerated considerably.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Bear in mind one cannot keep someone out whom is determined to enter but we sure as h$11 can slow em down and once they reach a certain point stop them cold oh yeaa

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
If absolute chaos ensued, I could fall back to staying on base.

The base would be quite secure [it is not a good idea to mess with our SPs. They don't play].

As for setting up a 'network', I do not know. If I try to explain how bad that things are looking, it usually falls upon deaf ears with an accompanying, "What on earth are you talking about??" look.
Don't explain it- just establish the connections and relationships and then when it's obvious to everyone that there is a problem- you'll have that network in place.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...once they reach a certain point stop them cold oh yeaa
I get the sense that you are almost looking forward to that 'opportunity', but I am most assuredly not.

I don't want to kill anybody, sir. I don't live for that sort of thing. I just want to be respected as just another struggling human being and to be left alone, to survive.

If it got down to someone fighting their way in to gain entry, even knowing that I was home, the mind would automatically switch into 'combat mode', cold, calculating and ruthless. The tension would be exacerbated by the fact that I have already been raped once in my life.

I don't want to have to kill anybody but I can, if I have to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts