Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered and received a used Hoyt Maxxis 31 compound bow that seems to fit my specifications for my size, age, weight. It looks to be in pristine condition, but it arrives completely compressed (I would imagine so as to fit into a box for shipping).

How do I "decompress" the bow? Yeah, I am ignorant about such things, so I need to learn. I've looked it over for some kind of release, but I'm not seeing it. I have located a limb weight adjustment bolt at the lower end of the bow, but before I start cranking on stuff, I thought I ask someone with more experience than myself.

·
3,124 Posts
Hi RC, congrats on your new toy, I've been shooting for over twenty years and was an Officer of the largest Archery club in E. TX. Since you are new to the sport I would recommend getting a good book on Compound Bows, one that explains the function, how to tune it properly even how to hold it when drawing and shooting. Something like the Bowhunter's Digest by Chuck Adams, I found it to be extremely helpful.
https://www.amazon.com/Bowhunters-Digest-Chuck-Adams/dp/0873491084

To compress the limbs safely you'll need a tool such as this

https://www.hunting-bow.com/collections/tuning-tools/products/bow-medic-bow-press

or this. Now there are much more expensive bow presses out there these will work.

https://www.hunting-bow.com/collections/tuning-tools/products/bowmaster-g2-portable-bow-press

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bob,

I do appreciate the help! What I’m trying to do is decompress the bow that arrived compressed. Do I need a bow press to do that?

·
3,124 Posts
Compound bows need to stay strung, they can be damaged if stored incorrectly left unstrung, it won't hurt them. It's stick bows such as recurves and long bows you need to store unstrung.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the deal. I've used a Hoyt compound bow before, but this one, right out of the box, I can't begin to pull the string back. There is absolutely no way and I'm not that weak. So, I have assumed that they had to get the bow in the shipping box and compressed the limbs in order to do so. Thus, I am trying to find out how to loosen the bow string so that at least I might pull the string back.

·
3,124 Posts
A lot of times a compound bow will have a cable tie on the strings to keep it from being drawn and dry fired (it can destroy the bow). Make sure that isn't going on. Otherwise might post a good pic of the bow, maybe we can see something.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, no cable ties at all. Guess I'll just bite the bullet (arrow?) and take it to my local pro shop on Monday and see what they have to say. I'm just befuddled by this thing.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
try adjusting the draw weight down. 4 each weight locking screws, loosen. turn limb bolt counter clockwise to lighten, clockwise to increase. re tighten locking weight screws.
unless they have sent you the dangerous game limbs on your maxis 31. those adj 80 to 90 lbs. in a word stout to break.......

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Globlin,

You were correct. I took the bow down to the local pro shop and that's exactly what they did. It's still a pretty stiff bow, but at least I can draw it back. Guess I'll need to start lifting weights!

It's interesting to me that the owner's manual that came with the bow did not include instructions on how to adjust the draw weight. The person who gave me a hand did say that the bow was a good choice, but thought that perhaps a different set of cams might be used to ease the draw weight a bit. I don't know how big a job it is to change cams, but it's something I might do after I've shot the bow a bit.

So my next challenge is to install a 5 point sight (that's supposed to arrive today), a stabilizer, and a whisker biscuit. After viewing a few videos on how to do that, it looks like this rookie just might be able to get it done. Then, I suspect it's time for a quiver and a case. My, the list is getting long!

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
it always does get expensive brother, you can trick a compound bow out as far as a AR 15 LOL.
Trijicon even makes a bowsight.
the early ones of tha model only had 2 bolts, they ere kinda easy to strip so they went to 4. a lot easier.
what type of release you going to use? recurve, on my primal gear i just use fingers, but on the darton wheelie, I use a Trufire Patriot. real smooth release for me...........

·
Cynical Thinker
937 Posts
it always does get expensive brother, you can trick a compound bow out as far as a AR 15 LOL.
Trijicon even makes a bowsight.
the early ones of tha model only had 2 bolts, they ere kinda easy to strip so they went to 4. a lot easier.
what type of release you going to use? recurve, on my primal gear i just use fingers, but on the darton wheelie, I use a Trufire Patriot. real smooth release for me...........
If that isn't the flat out truth! The bare bow needs: an arrow rest, a release loop, a mechanical release, a stabilizer, sights, a peep sight, attached quiver, limb savers, string silencers, a dozen graphite shafts, target points, a practice taget, hunting broadheads, and a bow case. Moving deeper down the rabbit hole; camo clothing, tree stands, game cameras, scent control, scent attractants, game cart or sled. Finally there's the challenge of simply finding a place to go hunting.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Globlin,

I have a genuine, made in China, mechanical trigger that seems to work quite nicely. I am installing a Trophy Ridge Fix 5 sight and a Trophy Ridge Whisker Biscuit, and a Trophy Ridge 9" Stabilizer. And yes, this is all a bit overwhelming.

Event Horizon,

Finding a place to hunt is not an issue where I live in sw Colorado. Had about a dozen elk walk past my patio door yesterday and in the summer we have a real problem with the deer eating my wife's flowers virtually every day!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts