Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have just recently begun to plan for an end if the world scenario and have decided to have my long rifle be a Remington 750 in .308 and an Smith and Wesson S&M 15/22 for those in close scenarios. Now comes the question I want to have two sidearms that have relativly available ammo good accuracy out to 20 yards. I was considering the colt 1911 the smith and wesson .40 (only one of three I've shot in person) and the beretta 9 mil. I am on a relativly tight buget and want to spend no more than 600 for a pistol and 2or 3 mags what do you recomend( it does not have to be one of those 3)?

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
One of the things that I looked at was getting a couple of pistols that used the same magazines and caliber of ammo. I opted to get two Glock 17 pistols in 9 millimeter. You can get a Glock for about $550 or so. The other thing I did was look at getting a Glock 17 and a Glock 19 but using the Glock 17 magazines in both of those guns. Turns out that any Glock 9 mm pistol will use a Glock 17 magazine if needed.

I now own 3 Glock pistols. Two Glock 17 pistols and one Glock 22C in .40 caliber. One other thing that is nice about Glock pistols is that a holster for a Glock 17 works just fine for my Glock 22C. Everything about Glocks make them so much better for survival work.

·
Registered
859 Posts
gun shop here is selling glocks for $517. They ran a sale awhile back for XDm's for 569 and XD's for $469. Can't really go wrong either way. Both are great guns and it's just a matter of what feels most comfortable to you.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
An excellent choice, the Steyr M-9 is often available used for a decent price.
Such as this.
$319

If you don't mind an older design, the P-1's are available often for a reasonable price also. @$355 here

For the money, you can get the pistol (both are very good) several extra magazines and a decent supply of ammo.

The P-1's vary on ammunition that they like but the Cor-Bon Powerball works perfectly in them and is good defensive stuff.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Do some shopping around touch everything. While glock is a good gun it might not be comfortable for you, and I don't want a new guy going in thinking he has to get a certain pistol that might not be good for him. IE if your left handed glocks aren't as friendly as other pistols. Your grip might be different and the pistol might not be comfortable.

The things you need to remember. You might be able to get a good used gun (take a experinced friend) such as a HK for as low as 400-500 bucks, or a brand new pistol cheaply online(still have to go through background checks etc). Touch them all select 3 you like, and come home and do reaserch. Don't come on here and ask, search for malfunction issues, recalls (glock has several just like most manfacturers have), and look at gunbroker or gunsamerica for a price comparison to the stores in your area.

Lastly caliber doesn't mean crap. All the modern semi autos from 9mm-45 do basicly the same tissue damage because the body being stretchy etc. I have evidence to back this up, most guys at the range have old wives tales. Like being unlucky to break mirrors etc. Pick what you are comfortable both caliber and firearms.

You wouldn't buy a car just because someone said it ran fast would you? Maybe its a toyota with break issues, or god knows what.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Marksinnerdemon is right, you should touch everything that appeases you. I am a big glock fan, but I won't push you that way. Each person has their own feel for things. Keep in mind when picking a caliber that .45's are heavier than a 9mm, but I shoot better with a heavier pistol. While handling the pistols take note of slide releases, mag releases and overall comfort in your hand. If you can find a friend that will allow you shoot some of these pistols you can make a better decision on what feels better in your hand and how the recoil feels.

·
Registered
64 Posts
In your price range, I would suggest looking at (for new pistols): Glock, Springfield XD, S&W M&P, CZ, Beretta, FN FNP, and Sig Pro.

Any of those will be reliable, durable, and accurate. Get the one that fits you the best. Get it in a caliber you can handle well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well comfort is a must. The pistol should fit your hand. Beware of people wo say caliber doesn't matterand that they can prove it( How Goofy can ya get).. Just ask how many people they have shot. It needs to be over 9mm at leats . and 40 for an auto. go to a range where they let you try em and shoot. That is just the starti won't get into all the caliber issues AGAIN.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Well, since you are a beginner my answer isn't a 1911. Before I get flamed by all the 1911 buffs, I'm a 1911 nut too! It's not a good gun for beginners, especially considering the price of .45 acp at this current time.

I would seriously consider getting a 9mm, due to price and availability of ammo. If I were buying a 9mm at this time, I'd go with a CZ 75-B. Of course opinions are like democrats (used instead of the common name of A-hole).

I would also consider getting a quality revolver. For me it's a Ruger GP-100.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I just want to clarify something before someone calls me a hypocrite. I use 1911s as my carry guns and long term survival handguns. I also have been training with 1911s for over twenty years and I've shot thousands upon thousands of rounds with them. With all that said, at this time, if I were starting out today, I'd go with a 9mm.

So, why a 9mm? Because you seriously need to train. That takes a lot of rounds down range. Unless you are independently wealthy, the price between 9mm and .45 acp is approximately two to one.

·
Keeper of Noodles
260 Posts
Here's my two cents.....i don't have a TON of handgun experience, but when i've looked into buying any gun, here's what i use to make my decision...

-what is the main purpose of the gun? hunting? self-defense? home invasion protection? a little mix of all three?
-what caliber's will work for the main purpose of the gun?
-how available are the caliber's that i'm looking at? If you're into 9mm, but they're hard to find (like it is here) but you can find .40 or .45 all day long, you might want to go with what you can get readily.

once i've decided on the caliber and type, then i go looking....pawn shops, gun shops, gun shows, etc. I've actually found (not bought unfortunetly) a Glock in good condition at a pawn shop for 400! Now, it's always a risk buying used, but that's a given for anything.

If you're looking for a 1911, you might want to check out Armscor...brand new they run about 400-450 and it's a very reliable gun from what i've been told.
http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?PID=104&w=PQ+JDyOLrQE=

here's a couple of links for ya. hope it helps out!

Cobra .32
http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item/1737_Cobra_Hand_Guns_Pistols_COBRA_ENT_CA32_32ACP_STN_.aspx

Ruger .45
http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com...d_Guns_Pistols_Ruger_6647_P345PR_P-Serie.aspx

Smith & Wesson 9mm
http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com...nd_Guns_Pistols_SW_220025_SW9VE_Sigma_Au.aspx

·
Registered
99 Posts
If ya want two sidearms, I'd go with any of the above listed as a primary, Now i get to draw fire.... As a second one I'd say go with a Hi-point 9mm, .40, OR .45 any of the 3 will run you $200 more or less, granted they are butt-ugly guns, but then they are reliable, I know several people with them and have fired them in all 3 calibers and never had a hiccup, plus they eat whatever you feed them, while some more expensive guns can be picky, 'specially when it comes to HP's.
There's my $.02

·
Keeper of Noodles
260 Posts
If ya want two sidearms, I'd go with any of the above listed as a primary, Now i get to draw fire.... As a second one I'd say go with a Hi-point 9mm, .40, OR .45 any of the 3 will run you $200 more or less, granted they are butt-ugly guns, but then they are reliable, I know several people with them and have fired them in all 3 calibers and never had a hiccup, plus they eat whatever you feed them, while some more expensive guns can be picky, 'specially when it comes to HP's.
There's my $.02
i agree with the Hi-Point as a back-up....only reason i didn't mention it myself was that i didn't have my riot shield handy :D:

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,430 Posts
If you are looking for a handgun shop carefully. Make sure it fits your hand. That means you can operate the controls without altering your grip. Controls mean slide release, safety, magazine release and hammer drop.

Once you find several that fit, find a range that rents pistols and shoot a few. Zero in on what fits and you shoot comfortably. Many manufacturer's make the same frame in different calibers. Once the platform is decided on, caliber is next.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have just recently begun to plan for an end if the world scenario and have decided to have my long rifle be a Remington 750 in .308 and an Smith and Wesson S&M 15/22 for those in close scenarios. Now comes the question I want to have two sidearms that have relativly available ammo good accuracy out to 20 yards. I was considering the colt 1911 the smith and wesson .40 (only one of three I've shot in person) and the beretta 9 mil. I am on a relativly tight buget and want to spend no more than 600 for a pistol and 2or 3 mags what do you recomend( it does not have to be one of those 3)?
Welcome to the fora. :)

I like .40...93% of the knock down power of a .45 acp and a few more rounds in the chamber. Plus the ammo round here is almost as cheap as 9mm (contrasted with .45acp which nearly twice the price).

I shoot an XD-40 personally.

I'm a bit concerned about the S&W 15/22.

.22LR is hardly a man-stopper by reputation and can be had for much less money than the 15/22. If you think the AR platform is cool, get a real one in .223. Then it will be cool and kill bad guys. :)

I'd get a Marlin .22. They're inexpensive ($100 or so for many of them) and are of excellent quality for the price.

You're really going to want something meaner for up close confrontations. I promise the bad guys charging up your driveway after TSHTF won't be shooting .22s. It would likely take several very well placed shots of .22 to knock one down.

I like your .308 bolt action in the arsenal and think an inexpensive .22 is a great idea, but you're going to want something bigger and badder for serious 1-300 yard work. I'd recommend .223 or 7.62x39...even a little lever-action 30-30 would be good. There are lots of inexpensive guns that work well in these calibers. I have a Ruger Mini-14 and two SKS. THere are better/fancier options if you have the dough.

If you want to really get serious (ie...shoot the BGs before they get out of the car or while they're taking cover behind it) a .308 semi-auto battle rifle would be dandy to have.

Also, if you get the dough ($350-450) a good 12 guage tactical shotgun would be good to round things out.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. :)

DogDoc

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
You have relatively low expectations of a quality handgun.
I'd recommend the Beretta 9mm or .40 S&W either, both have good ammo availability. I can't recommend the S&W semi-autos.
Others have suggested the Glock and Springfield XD pistols. Both are quality guns at a reasonable price, and I second the recommendation. Sigs are very good, too, but expensive.
The Glock, Beretta or Springfield, or Sig, will reliably give you accuracy out to 50 yards on a 8" target. You can learn to shoot them even out to 100 yards to that same degree of accuracy if you work at it. The .40S&W, and even the 9mm, will "do the job" at those ranges for defense work. Some other makes may do that, too, but I don't have personal experience so can't say.
For a 1911 to shoot that way you're looking at much more money. I doubt it's worth it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.