Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
There's nothing wrong with a 9MM using good ammunition. It is decidedly not a bear cartridge no matter what firearm is used. The energy is on the lower side but more to the point the bullets aren't constructed for taking larger game.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I find the assumption that you will be able to find 9mm anywhere when you are bugging out to be quite funny. For several reasons:
1. 9mm is typically the most popular round for handguns; so you are sort of competing for the same pile of ammo.
2. The notion that ammo will be available. Fools that believe this will be the ones standing outside of the gun store- hoping for a box of 50, let alone 500 or 1000. During the recent runs on ammo of the past few years, 9mm is one of the rounds that, because of its popularity, disappeared off the shelfs.

A smart fella would buy his ammo before he needs it- and have it stuck off to the side, waiting for the day he needs it. As far as being the perfect round- far from it; it's a good round for some things- like personal defense, but it's still just a pistol round.

·
EdgeCrusher
1,083 Posts
Ok I know this will ignite a firestorm but I dont care.

So I think the 9mm is a perfect primary round for a bug out bag. I have a keltec pf-9 and a highpoint 995 rifle. SO here is my reasoning

1. One ammo type to stockpile/ interchangeble ammo
2. availability ( you can find 9mm anywhere, try that with 7.62)
3. size and weight
4. price ( a 1000 rounds will cost me a lot less)
5. easy to improvise a weapon that will fire the 9mm
6. versitility of the round ( 20lb and up)

now their are ppl who say 9mm isnt powerful enough. Well you are wrong, try shooing a +p out of a rifle, you can reach out to 100+ yards reliable and acuratly and drop a man size target. I personaly saw a deer taken with one clean shot at 80 yards with a 9mm rifle. I know the hard core will say go with a 22,45,and 7.62. but i dont have the funds for that, pluss in a bug out situation i will have maximum versitility with minimum weight.
Ok so lets get this flaming mach started
You get no flaming from this guy...for a handgun, I'm perfectly fine with the 9 for BO scenario.

·
Currently surviving SHTF
2,485 Posts
There was another thread about pcc's not long ago. Here in florida, they would work fine. Forest is dense and sighting distance is short. A 9mm from a carbine is more than enough to do the job.

Like I said there...only hits count. I'd take a good hit with a pcc than a close miss with anything else.

If that is what he shoots best, have at it. I'm glad he bought something and is formulating a plan. He is still lightyears ahead of most sheeple. Who am I to criticize what he buys?

·
Registered
22,145 Posts

So I think the 9mm is a perfect primary round for a bug out bag. I have a keltec pf-9 and a highpoint 995 rifle. SO here is my reasoning

2. availability ( you can find 9mm anywhere, try that with 7.62)
3. size and weight
4. price ( a 1000 rounds will cost me a lot less)
5. easy to improvise a weapon that will fire the 9mm
6. versitility of the round ( 20lb and up)

now their are ppl who say 9mm isnt powerful enough. Well you are wrong, try shooing a +p out of a rifle, you can reach out to 100+ yards reliable and acuratly and drop a man size target. I personaly saw a deer taken with one clean shot at 80 yards with a 9mm rifle. I know the hard core will say go with a 22,45,and 7.62. but i dont have the funds for that, pluss in a bug out situation i will have maximum versitility with minimum weight.
Ok so lets get this flaming mach started
1) the interchangeability of ammo between pistol and rifle is of dubious value

2) you cannot literally find 9mm "everywhere". you can find it in a store. a store that won't have 9mm during a SHTF event, or any other ammo for that matter. if you don't have the ammo in a box or can before SHTF, you won't have it during SHTF. banish the thought of buying it from the store or finding it lying around on the ground.

3) 9mm weighs as much as .223, pistol rounds are heavy for the energy they produce due to bullet weight

4) you have a point on price, but then if you are planning on needing thousands of rounds, shouldn't you have something....a little more powerful?

5) improvised weapons......you're going to run out of ammo before you run out of guns that will fire the ammo

6) versatility, yes that's true to a point, but you can achieve that versatility with a wide variety of rounds if you reload

·
Registered
22,145 Posts
A newbie will get on a current thread and then see all the "suggested" threads at the top of the page and then go hog wild. Not sure why people don't check the time stamp on previous posts but here we are. . . . .
maybe the suggested threads logic should exclude threads whose last post is more than x days old

·
Registered
687 Posts
maybe the suggested threads logic should exclude threads whose last post is more than x days old

The other option would be some sort of thread auto lock based on inactivity. So any thread that has been inactive for a year (or two) would lock and couldn't be posted in.

Personally I'm getting a bit tired of these kind of thread necrosis.

·
Registered
12 Posts

2. availability ( you can find 9mm everywhere.)
Yep.
Shoot someone with a 9mm and ask the victim if he's grateful it wasn't a .45.

Besides, if youre relying on a 9mm handgun, your tactics suck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For me personally if I need to hit something precisely and far then I’ll use a rifle, if need to destroy something up close then a shotgun, and if I need something that’s always going to be by my side in a immediate emergency then a handgun in either 9mm or 40 s&w. I got no beef if someone uses a pistol caliber carbine and maybe I’m just too simple but I see no need for them in my arsenal. Unless it’s fully automatic.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I find the assumption that you will be able to find 9mm anywhere when you are bugging out to be quite funny. For several reasons:
1. 9mm is typically the most popular round for handguns; so you are sort of competing for the same pile of ammo.
2. The notion that ammo will be available. Fools that believe this will be the ones standing outside of the gun store- hoping for a box of 50, let alone 500 or 1000. During the recent runs on ammo of the past few years, 9mm is one of the rounds that, because of its popularity, disappeared off the shelfs.

A smart fella would buy his ammo before he needs it- and have it stuck off to the side, waiting for the day he needs it. As far as being the perfect round- far from it; it's a good round for some things- like personal defense, but it's still just a pistol round.
You make good points. That’s why I stocked up on both 9mm and 40 s&w. I’m not relying on a maybe, could be, might possibly, imaginary loot box of 9mm ammo laying around somewhere. “IT’S A TRAP!!!!”~ General Akbar Star Wars.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts