Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know this will ignite a firestorm but I dont care.

So I think the 9mm is a perfect primary round for a bug out bag. I have a keltec pf-9 and a highpoint 995 rifle. SO here is my reasoning

1. One ammo type to stockpile/ interchangeble ammo
2. availability ( you can find 9mm anywhere, try that with 7.62)
3. size and weight
4. price ( a 1000 rounds will cost me a lot less)
5. easy to improvise a weapon that will fire the 9mm
6. versitility of the round ( 20lb and up)

now their are ppl who say 9mm isnt powerful enough. Well you are wrong, try shooing a +p out of a rifle, you can reach out to 100+ yards reliable and acuratly and drop a man size target. I personaly saw a deer taken with one clean shot at 80 yards with a 9mm rifle. I know the hard core will say go with a 22,45,and 7.62. but i dont have the funds for that, pluss in a bug out situation i will have maximum versitility with minimum weight.
Ok so lets get this flaming mach started

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I own a KT P11, a S&W 4906 and one longer barrel weapon in 9mm but it sure would not be my primary caliber of choice. My primary sidearm will remain the 45 ACP. I have seen the difference in results between 9 and 45 close up on more than one occasion. 45 will still get my vote. My Kel Tec is just a ccw for biking and to just get me to something larger.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Be careful. You pick the firearm for the work and distances that you need it cover. If you're only to shoot 100 yards or less, then a 9 mm, 40 caliber or other pistol rounds will work for you. If, however, there is a possibility of having to shoot further than 100 yards then pistol caliber ammo isn't what you will ultimately need. If you move outside of a city area, need food and sight a deer 250 yards away then that 9 mm carbine will be completely worthless for you in that situation. You will go hungry. Same scenario but now you've got a rifle with a medium weight bullet to launch. Dinner will be served. So think this through for your own good and your longer term plans or needs.

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Be careful. You pick the firearm for the work and distances that you need it cover. If you're only to shoot 100 yards or less, then a 9 mm, 40 caliber or other pistol rounds will work for you. If, however, there is a possibility of having to shoot further than 100 yards then pistol caliber ammo isn't what you will ultimately need. If you move outside of a city area, need food and sight a deer 250 yards away then that 9 mm carbine will be completely worthless for you in that situation. You will go hungry. Same scenario but now you've got a rifle with a medium weight bullet to launch. Dinner will be served. So think this through for your own good and your longer term plans or needs.
I totally agre, but in a urban bug out situation( if you live in a rural area you probably wont be buging out) if you have to take a shot over a 100 yards their is a problem.

·
Registered
806 Posts
9mm strikes a good balance between controllability and effectiveness in a handgun.

However it is still woefully underpowered. Just look at any newspaper you'll see felons shot multiple times surviving to make it to court.

Its marginal for deer, totally inadequate for boar or bear.

If I am to carry a large weapon like a rifle, it might as well use a more powerful round. Otherwise the only benefit you'll get is better sights than your handgun.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I have seen the posts on here "what if you could carry only one rifle". Well I did some government training once upon a time and I carried 3 weapons in the woods for a number of days. Sniper Rifle, Car 16 and a 1911. had no problems.
I am set where I can still do that type of scenario with plenty off ammo on hand for all. plenty of parts for each weapon and a good selection of weapons to chose from. I do not intend to bug out I have everything I need or will need here. Plus, I know the defense plains of my area should it come to that point. So chose your sidearm and or long gun wisely if you are bugger. I'm bunkered.

·
Gunsmith
203 Posts
Cowboys used guns with a lot less power than the modern 9mm and didn't have any problem.

That being said the ak will still be my primary, I will have a 9mm carbine as a backup/hunting gun those 7.62x39 will be worth more than gold after the shtf and I will only waste them when its a life or death situation.

I could not bring myself to buy a carbine with only a 10 round magazine "15 if you can get them to work" I went with an ar-15 conversion that takes 32 round uzi mags costs quite a bit more however mags are way cheaper and its a weapon system I already have and will get more use out of this way. Right now its cost me 650-700ish with 5 mags.

There's no way in a combat situation I want to have to think about reloading ever 10 shots.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
9mm strikes a good balance between controllability and effectiveness in a handgun.

However it is still woefully underpowered. Just look at any newspaper you'll see felons shot multiple times surviving to make it to court.

Its marginal for deer, totally inadequate for boar or bear.

If I am to carry a large weapon like a rifle, it might as well use a more powerful round. Otherwise the only benefit you'll get is better sights than your handgun.
It is about as woefully underpowered as any handgun round. Really until you get down to .380 ACP power levels and below, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the 9,.45,.40..38 or even .357. as far as effectiveness. I think with 124 gr or 115gr FMJ out of a rifle, you could take boar, with headshots. Same with black bear. If it's all you had for a long-gun, that is. Felons get shot all the time with all sorts of stuff and make it to court. Except rifles..........

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Urban, suburban and dense cover rural no problem.
Get good hollow points and it's OK for social work.
A high velocity soft point can do White tail no issues.
I'd say for quick foot travel it's OK but for a bug out situation you need to have a BOL.
Without that you are a refugee.
That's untenable in any case.
Get a BOL.
Stock it before hand with gear and logistics.(like suitable hunting arms and ammo fit for the fauna in your area.)
If it is more than you can travel on foot with enough food to get you there you have problems.
You won't be hunting.
Sorry, but have you seen opening day? You'll see about as many deer on your march as you do the day the season opens.
That combo will serve you fine other than that.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
It is about as woefully underpowered as any handgun round. Really until you get down to .380 ACP power levels and below, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the 9,.45,.40..38 or even .357. as far as effectiveness. I think with 124 gr or 115gr FMJ out of a rifle, you could take boar, with headshots. Same with black bear. If it's all you had for a long-gun, that is. Felons get shot all the time with all sorts of stuff and make it to court. Except rifles..........
I respectfully beg to differ on the .357 Magnum it far out performs the auto pistol cartridges when there given to same lengths. With a max loaded 124gr. 9mm+P+ out of a 4" barreled Glock 19 goes out the door at 1300 fps for 461 Foot pounds of energy. The .357 Magnum with a 4" barreled GP-100 shooting a 125gr bulliet does 1600 FPS for 772 FPE!!!

And thats with losing some pressure due to a cylider gap!!

But with that 9MM+P+ one can only expect to get only 30% more velocity with a 16" barrel. So you get up to 1690 feet per second for 786 foot pounds. Just barely under the the 6" barrel revolvers muzzel velocity. Where as the 125gr .357 Magnum will do 2,298 FPS for 1466 foot pounds!!! Quite a dispardy when all things are more or less equal. That and the max weight that the 9MM can shoot is 147gr bulliet, where as the .357 Magnum can launch a 200gr bulliet.

Needless to say it's alot more powerful than it's closest auto pistol rival.

And then I'm not even going to talk about the .41, .44 magnums and .454 Casuall out of a pistol and rifle combo!!

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ok I know this will ignite a firestorm but I dont care.

So I think the 9mm is a perfect primary round for a bug out bag. I have a keltec pf-9 and a highpoint 995 rifle. SO here is my reasoning

1. One ammo type to stockpile/ interchangeble ammo
2. availability ( you can find 9mm anywhere, try that with 7.62)
3. size and weight
4. price ( a 1000 rounds will cost me a lot less)
5. easy to improvise a weapon that will fire the 9mm
6. versitility of the round ( 20lb and up)

now their are ppl who say 9mm isnt powerful enough. Well you are wrong, try shooing a +p out of a rifle, you can reach out to 100+ yards reliable and acuratly and drop a man size target. I personaly saw a deer taken with one clean shot at 80 yards with a 9mm rifle. I know the hard core will say go with a 22,45,and 7.62. but i dont have the funds for that, pluss in a bug out situation i will have maximum versitility with minimum weight.
Ok so lets get this flaming mach started
use the right tool.. 9mm is for handguns. carry a rifle and a sidearm plz. multipurpose tools are never as good as 2 specialized tools. if you are low on funds try getting an SKS or M14. the sks retails for about $225, fires a common round, and the ammo is only about $0.17 a round... the M14 sells for $400 and is extremely accurate, fires a common round, and is reliable.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
use the right tool.. 9mm is for handguns. Carry a rifle and a sidearm plz. Multipurpose tools are never as good as 2 specialized tools. If you are low on funds try getting an sks or m14. The sks retails for about $225, fires a common round, and the ammo is only about $0.17 a round... the m14 sells for $400 and is extremely accurate, fires a common round, and is reliable.

where, where???!!!!!

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
the M14 sells for $400

M14s in civilian form are 1400 +
If you are talking about a Mini 14 used 180s and ranch rifles are $500 and not terribly accurate.
The new rifles are $800+ but accuracy seems to have been the goal.
Magazines are spotty in quality and function unless you buy from Ruger....those are $30+ as of last week.
The SKS is a solid idea.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
IF your gonna carry a rifle, carry a rifle.
Nomad FTW!
OP, couple of points. You do make some correct points but you are (and I'm being objective here) using selective reasoning to choose the points that are reasonable, and omit the ones that are not.
I have an H&K94. It's a magnificent machine. And for HD under 50 yards and indoors where it will be quicker to maneuver and slightly less deafening it's great.
But that's a narrow case.
The general case is using a broader selection of 'tools' to ensure that you have what you need when you need it. To me, that an AR/M4 or a Tavor and a 9mm handgun.
Re the 9mm, I apply logic to the choice of round that may not be that popular. I long ago learned that 1. I'm not a particularly good pistol shooter; 2. No matter how much you train, you are not as good as you think when you need to be; 3. so I will take a firearm that can carry more rounds to account for a low accuracy probability than a gun with fewer but more powerful rounds
B

1 - 20 of 46 Posts