Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Who is John Galt?
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'll bite...what is the difference between 9mm Lugar, 9mm Makarov, 9mm Steyer, 9x21mm, etc.....I am looking at cheaperthandirt and other places to purchase for our Glock's (26) and am a bit confused...the Glock website says it fires a 9x19mm, so I understand the length differences......some guidance would be most appreciative.....:upsidedown:

·
Registered
9,522 Posts
The 9mm Luger/Parabellum and 9x19 are one in the same cartridge...
The Makarov is a 9x18 and is not interchangeable with the 9x19...

·
Shooter, Hiker, & Camper
256 Posts
Ok, I'll bite...what is the difference between 9mm Lugar, 9mm Makarov, 9mm Steyer, 9x21mm, etc.....I am looking at cheaperthandirt and other places to purchase for our Glock's (26) and am a bit confused...the Glock website says it fires a 9x19mm, so I understand the length differences......some guidance would be most appreciative.....:upsidedown:

Metric and Inch calibers are a little confusing. A .45 acp is actually .45 of 1". That makes it pretty simple for inch rounds, except they don't always tell the truth. A .38 special is actually not .38 inch, but .357 of an inch. That is why a .357 magnum and a .38 can fire the same projectile.

Guess what else is .357"..... The 9mm is! A .357 sig cartridge fires a necked down .40 case to fire a 9mm bullet.

In Europe, the .380 round is called the 9mm Kurz. The word "Kurz" means short.

The second part of the descripion after the "x" is the case length.

So, the straight walled automatic 9mms are:

.380 acp (not really .38)

9x18 Makarov

9x19 9mm Parabellum

9x21 which is very powerful, but mainly an IPSC round.

Here are the necked down round(s):

.357 Sig

And the revolver 9mms:

.38 S&W (not really .38)

.38 Special (not really .38)

.357 Magnum

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Actually the 9mm Luger/Parabellum is .355" not .357", but aside from a little accuracy issues you can fire the 9mm projectiles in a .357 or .38spl gun, but you should not shoot the .38/.357 bullets in a barrel built for 9mm...

To answer the OP, 9mm Luger and 9mm parabellum are the same cartridge AND what you want to buy for your Glock G26. The 9mm kurtz, 9mm Mak and the others are for other guns.

Allan

·
Plinker
746 Posts
birdman You're right about the .355 correction of the 9mm, also I might add the 9mm case is straight walled and also "tapered".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts