Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to stock up on 9mm ammo and wondering if I should stock up on FMJ or JHP for SHTF situations. I keep JHP loaded for everyday use, but I could get more FMJ for the money... opinions?

·
Banned
653 Posts
I buy Wolf or Winchester white box for practice, I carry Winchester Ranger SXT +p+ or "Extreme Shock" fang face. Cor Bon PwrBall is also a good choice especially if your target is wearing heavy clothing.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Go with both but if you can only have one go with ball ammo. Ball ammo will generally give you better penetration and better accuracy albeit just a little tiny bit better accuracy. Once you have your rounds, practice close range shooting a lot and remember: "Two to the chest and one to the head brings the gunfight to a very quick end."

·
Registered
585 Posts
I will buy FMJ ammo because it's cheaper, and I will practice with it. But I keep the brass and reload hollow points. My personal favorite is 124 gr. speer gold dot.

·
Mr. Sailfish
349 Posts
For my stockpile, I keep all my magazines loaded with 124gr. gold dots, and I have enough gold dots and a few boxes of 124gr. HST to reload each mag once. After that, I mostly have WWB 115gr. FMJ. I do have a considerable supply of WWB 115gr. JHP, however, because occasionally I can find it for essentially the same price as the FMJ.

I think that in a SHTF situation (as in you've already used up your good carry ammo), anything that goes bang is better than nothing. Remember, the guy on the receiving end of your fire isn't going to notice the difference. Incoming rounds are incoming rounds. I'd get the most of whatever you can. If you can get white box JHP cheaply, why not go for something that expands?! I know it isn't the best stuff out there, but it will probably work marginally better than ball ammo.

But as a general rule, for a SHTF stockpile I'd go with whatever you can get in bulk. If the situation really is that bad (you've emptied 50 or 100rds of speer and still need to keep firing!), then the more ammo the better, as long as it feeds well and fires reliably. I think that unless you find a good deal and take advantage of it, FMJ is probably the way to go.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Go with both but if you can only have one go with ball ammo. Ball ammo will generally give you better penetration and better accuracy albeit just a little tiny bit better accuracy. Once you have your rounds, practice close range shooting a lot and remember: "Two to the chest and one to the head brings the gunfight to a very quick end."
We constantly get this reminder but when you think about it isn't one to the head the correct choice when you pay for your own ammo (not funded by the gov), or TEOTWAWKI,you will never have a chance to resupply?
One shot one kill seems the way to go to me.
My thinking says three rounds to three different heads and you saved 6 rounds. Just thinking out loud here.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
We constantly get this reminder but when you think about it isn't one to the head the correct choice when you pay for your own ammo (not funded by the gov), or TEOTWAWKI,you will never have a chance to resupply?
One shot one kill seems the way to go to me.
My thinking says three rounds to three different heads and you saved 6 rounds. Just thinking out loud here.

Not as easy as it sounds.

For everyone who thinks it is try this exercise:

Tape a 3x5 index card (About the size of the 'kill zone') to a old tire.

Next have a buddy release the tire (Roll it) down a steep incline.

Now take one shot and hit the 3x5 card.

-Keep in mind this will be EASIER than hitting the 'brain box' on a human because the tire is moving in a predictable pattern and not shooting back.

-If you put 2 in someone's chest you might slow them down enough to make the head shot.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Nomad has it right. You need to practice all of your shooting techniques.

2 to the chest and 1 to head is based off of the idea that the first two rounds stun the guy with enough pain to make him stop, suck air in agony, so that you can then plant one bullet into his head. If you think that you're a good enough shot to just do 1 to the head then go for it. But more than likely, you're going to waste a number of rounds trying that in a real shooting situation which is why 2 + 1 came to be in the first place.

·
Mr. Sailfish
349 Posts
I'm not trying to start a debate here, but in a defensive situation, especially a SHTF situation, why not just go for 3, or 4, to the chest?

I understand the conserve ammo aspect of the argument, but again, in a SHTF situation and assuming you have a decent stockpile of ammo, I'm only going to be worried about conserving ammo AFTER I've burned through the first 1000rds of 9mm. If one has lived long enough to use 1000rds of pistol ammo, then either you are VERY good, VERY lucky, or the bad guys are really bad at what they are trying to do.

A pistol is a lousy choice for a primary SHTF defensive gun.

This is just me, but when I practice defensive shooting, I'm more concerned with putting 3-4 rounds center chest quickly. Head shots are harder than they seem, especially if you're shooting in a situation other than at the range. I like the theory of a high capacity magazine and putting enough lead in the air to get the job done, and quickly.

If you're shooting with a rifle, sure, conserve ammo. I'd rather have enough rifle ammo left to never have to resort to a pistol. But if the situation is bad enough that your rifle is no longer an option and you have to rely on a pistol, just blast the guy. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Buy a .45 and stop worrying about needing holes in your ammo.
:D:

Ok Ok I'll be serious.

If you can stock up on the hollow points.
9mm fmj is like an ice pick going through flesh. It just hasn't got the terminal performance that good hollowpoints do unless you hit bone and break something for the target to get distracted over..

Head shots on a moving target or one behind cover is hard... especially if he(or she...can't forget the ladies) is trying to shoot you in the head too.
Practice.
Practice some more.
Practice til you get blisters.
But practice and carry with the ammo you carry.

Of course as long as ammo is available keep buying as much of both ball and HPs as you can afford.
There will be a time when it isn't available.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I'm not trying to start a debate here, but in a defensive situation, especially a SHTF situation, why not just go for 3, or 4, to the chest?

I understand the conserve ammo aspect of the argument, but again, in a SHTF situation and assuming you have a decent stockpile of ammo, I'm only going to be worried about conserving ammo AFTER I've burned through the first 1000rds of 9mm. If one has lived long enough to use 1000rds of pistol ammo, then either you are VERY good, VERY lucky, or the bad guys are really bad at what they are trying to do.

A pistol is a lousy choice for a primary SHTF defensive gun.

This is just me, but when I practice defensive shooting, I'm more concerned with putting 3-4 rounds center chest quickly. Head shots are harder than they seem, especially if you're shooting in a situation other than at the range. I like the theory of a high capacity magazine and putting enough lead in the air to get the job done, and quickly.

If you're shooting with a rifle, sure, conserve ammo. I'd rather have enough rifle ammo left to never have to resort to a pistol. But if the situation is bad enough that your rifle is no longer an option and you have to rely on a pistol, just blast the guy. Just my humble opinion.

2 to the chest and one to the head stems from (Forgive me if I miss a point)
A student of COL Coopers who in Africa went up against a 'skinny' armed with an AK with a pistol (Hi Power I believe)... he shot him 2x in the chest, and then raised the sites, ... the head was still there... so he put a round in it.

You should NOT get into ANY trend... 2 and 1 or anything...

Varry up your training.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My vote for the street is Gold Dots because they expand reliably through clothing and the Short Barrel version has a HUGE cavity for the hollow point and expands very quickly upon entering the target. DO NOT get fooled into thinking a +P round will penetrate significantly more or expand more. The difference is negligible and not worth the extra cost.

My vote for the home is a frangible/prefragmented round due to its enormous energy delivery and terminal ballistics. It's basically like putting a shotgun of whatever caliber up against your attacker and pulling the trigger. The rounds just blows up inside the target. BUT and this is a big BUT...frangible/prefragmented rounds WILL NOT penetrate anything beyond it's first barrier. They will, however, penetrate 55gal drum (1/16"?) steel and still deliver a significant and nasty wound to the target.

JMO

·
Mr. Sailfish
349 Posts
Why not just hit 'em with a 12ga. or 5.56 at pistol range and forget the 9mm ball/.45 arguments altogether?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in an ideal situation you never have to use your pistol.

Your pistol is only for when you run out of ammunition for your rifle, or you get caught with your pants down and can't reload your rifle fast enough.

If I had to rely on the 9mm, I'd rather have a 124gr. gold dot in there over just about anything else...but FMJ is better than nothing at all.

----But the key here is practice...if you hit them before they hit you you will probably win, no matter how fancy the round coming out of your gun is.----

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Why not just hit 'em with a 12ga. or 5.56 at pistol range and forget the 9mm ball/.45 arguments altogether?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in an ideal situation you never have to use your pistol.

Your pistol is only for when you run out of ammunition for your rifle, or you get caught with your pants down and can't reload your rifle fast enough.

If I had to rely on the 9mm, I'd rather have a 124gr. gold dot in there over just about anything else...but FMJ is better than nothing at all.

----But the key here is practice...if you hit them before they hit you you will probably win, no matter how fancy the round coming out of your gun is.----

You carry a 12 guage in your pants?

Yea, a backup is a good reason to have a pistol.

Choping wood....

·
Mr. Sailfish
349 Posts
Hehe is that a 12ga. in your pants or are you just happy to see me!

point taken...but then again, in a SHTF situation and you are out chopping wood, why not take a rifle with you, or have someone not actively chopping wood with a rifle in hand?

If the world as we know it comes to a screaming halt and there are armed people out there that are not particularly concerned with your welfare, wouldn't going out in the woods all by yourself with just a 9mm and an axe be, um, asking for it?

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
As others have said go with both. FMJ's will work fine and JHP will work better on impact.
What ever JHP's you buy. Try them first to make sure your pistol feeds them without fail.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts