Survivalist Forum banner

Which do you choose?

• Pistol Carbine (9mm)

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Pistol Carbine (45 ACP)

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • AR-15 Pistol

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Short Spear from Cold Steel (for the blade fanatics)

Votes: 1 2.1%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You are in a house and are in need of clearing it. Let's say you are not bogged down by much gear. You have a choice, a pistol caliber carbine or a short barreled AR-15 in .223 (with or without a butt stock). I know a pistol is the most tight-area maneuverable gun you could use, but I'd rather have a few more foot-pounds at my fingertips. No shotguns, because I want greater precision.

With the new Ruger carbine and nice Hi-Point pistol caliber carbines, are their barrels enough to get those extra foot-pounds? Is a 10-inch AR-15 better? I know the carbines would have lower recoil, which is an advantage.

Which do you choose?

·
Deplorable
4,356 Posts
You are in a house and are in need of clearing it. Let's say you are not bogged down by much gear. You have a choice, a pistol caliber carbine or a short barreled AR-15 in .223 (with or without a butt stock). I know a pistol is the most tight-area maneuverable gun you could use, but I'd rather have a few more foot-pounds at my fingertips. No shotguns, because I want greater precision.

With the new Ruger carbine and nice Hi-Point pistol caliber carbines, are their barrels enough to get those extra foot-pounds? Is a 10-inch AR-15 better? I know the carbines would have lower recoil, which is an advantage.

Which do you choose?
Are you talking about a butt stock on an SBR, or a pistol stabilizing brace? :rolleyes:

·
Awesome
17,072 Posts
what carbine would you even use?.. hi point? sub2k? ive had one, shot both, and thought the whole new consumper PCC options out now kinda suck.. the short barrel AR would still give you a greater effective range and ammunition isnt going to be any heavier than 9mm

·
Registered
10,009 Posts

Which do you choose?
10.3" ar, hands down.

7" true pistol AR....9mm pcc.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
what carbine would you even use?.. hi point? sub2k? ive had one, shot both, and thought the whole new consumper PCC options out now kinda suck.. the short barrel AR would still give you a greater effective range and ammunition isnt going to be any heavier than 9mm
The B&T products are what you seek.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
I'll just say this:

SWAT teams discovered that 9mm carbines had MORE penatratuon than a 5.56 through a short barrel.

Use what ya like.
I am of two minds here. 5.56 will absolutely chew more steel plate, vest, etc. It also does more 2x4s, as long as they are presented in a homogeneous stack. Same for metal car doors. Add in soft barriers such as...people or animals, or wider spaced barriers (a common wall), and the 9mm begins to penetrate more, unless you are using bonded ammo or m855a1 in the 5.56. M855a1 is scary impressive on pretty much any target.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
For close in HD/SD work, I'd choose the .45 acp. carbine, lets say preferably a Kriss Vector or PSA AR45 with some 21 round Glock .45 mags. For me, big chunks of subsonic lead, in close are the ticket.

·
Shade Tree Gynecologist
3,703 Posts

Which do you choose?
Depends on if there are friendlies inside that may not appreciate getting shot by over penetration of high velocity rifle rounds.

If there was no chance of innocent people of being inside I'd go with the 556 pistol.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't have an AR pistol. I've never really felt the need to have one. I don't see what that it could do for me that is not already covered by other options at my disposal.

I do have a PCC. Mine is a Stag Arms 9T. It takes 32 round Colt/Uzi type magazines. I have a dozen of those and one ten round magazine for it. I reckon that I would choose it given the options.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts