Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if a model 97 Winchester in excellent condition would be safe with all modern factory loads?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Modern factory lead loads, i.e. not steel or other non lead shot, in 2 3/4 " non magnum loads should be fine if the gun is in good mechanical condition.

GreyOne

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
There are non-lead loads that can be fired in it- Bismuth, Classic Doubles, and Tungsten Matrix.

Careful with the hammer. good luck finding parts for it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a friend who owns a 97 in 410. The only one I have seen. Anyway, we used to say "don't use high brass" shells. That means hotter loads. The cheaper stuff you find at Wally World etc is the low brass , milder loads. They'll do fine.

·
I'd rather be Jeeping...
762 Posts
I have a 12 gauge 97 Winchester, it was my granddad's, grew up hunting quail and turkey with it. I love that old gun, but I haven't shot it in years. The barrel has worn so thin in spots, especially where the slide attaches, that I'm afraid to shoot it. Wish I had a new barrel for it, those are absolutely great guns.

~JohnP

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have a few 97's, and shoot #4 mags with no problems. The only problem I ever had was the loss of skin on my right thumb.

My 97's are all take down models. Does anyone have the non take down model ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts