Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's the deal. Are these interchangable? I assume not as they took the time to give them different names but if they're different, I've seen a number of misprints or wrong pictures of ammo boxes.

After looking it up on Wikipedia, it seems they are one and the same. Can someone just verify this for me before I put the wrong round in the wrong gun and pull the trigger. Thanks

·
Registered
428 Posts
9mm luger and parrabellum are the exact same round. often referred to as luger because the luger 9mm german pistol utilized the 9mm parrabellum round. also note that there is a difference between 9x19 9mm and 9x18 which is also known as the makarov round or eastern german round that is highly common in the eastern block countries weapons that were former soviet union associates. what weapon are you planning to use? most modern weapons are marked 9x19 on the barrel or slide that use the 9mm para round.

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, here's where the confusion started. I've got a P-11 that's marked 9mm Luger and a 92FS that's marked 9mm Parabellum. Since I've never owned anything that actually said "parabellum" on it, I never thought about it.

Glad that's the case as I wasn't too thrilled about the idea of stocking up on yet another pistol round, LOL. Anyway, thanks for the confirmation.

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
i use the 9x18 makarov sweet lil pistol.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
NO. 45 colt is a a round made for automatic pistols. 45 Long Colt is an older round made for revolvers. it is a totally different round. It is good to be careful. Many gun guys in the big box sporting good stores used to sell garden epuipment or groceries. Good thing to get in way of written material is book like Cartridges of the World. you can find it on line or at many major book sellers. it will make life a whole lot better dealing with guns.

Amazon.com: Cartridges of the World: 10th Edition, Revised and Expanded: Frank C. Barnes, Stan Skinner: Books

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
NO. 45 colt is a a round made for automatic pistols. 45 Long Colt is an older round made for revolvers. it is a totally different round. It is good to be careful. Many gun guys in the big box sporting good stores used to sell garden epuipment or groceries. Good thing to get in way of written material is book like Cartridges of the World. you can find it on line or at many major book sellers. it will make life a whole lot better dealing with guns.

Amazon.com: Cartridges of the World: 10th Edition, Revised and Expanded: Frank C. Barnes, Stan Skinner: Books
Thanks! I haven't a lot of experience with pistols.

My friend just bought a used Ruger revolver that he thought was a .44 Magnum, (and the .44 Mag rounds fit in the cylinder), but as I am looking over his new prize at the range before he tried it out, I see it says .45 !! Then you go looking at ammo dealers, and they have 4 or 5 flavors of .45 to choose from. :xeye:

I cringe to think of the possible outcome of firing the wrong rounds out of that monster.

·
Registered
127 Posts
your cringing is well warranted.
also know that, .45 ACP = automatic colt pistol. same as .45 auto.
The 45 acp is a rimless cartridge made to feed in semi auto pistols. The 45 long colt is an old time rimmed cartridge made for revolvers.

was your friends ruger a vaquero? a modern replica single action revolver chambered for a number of different rounds.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
your cringing is well warranted.
also know that, .45 ACP = automatic colt pistol. same as .45 auto.
The 45 acp is a rimless cartridge made to feed in semi auto pistols. The 45 long colt is an old time rimmed cartridge made for revolvers.

was your friends ruger a vaquero? a modern replica single action revolver chambered for a number of different rounds.
I think it was a Vaquero, had a 7 or 8" barrel. It was pretty clearly not made for .44 Mag or .44 Special (which is what the Pawn Shop owner told him) since it had .45 stamped on the side.

I know what the .45 ACP is, I just saw .45, .45 Colt and .45 Long Colt on a couple of online suppliers, and didn't want to steer my friend to the wrong ammo.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
NO. 45 colt is a a round made for automatic pistols. 45 Long Colt is an older round made for revolvers.
Sorry buddy, but the .45 Long Colt is simply another name for the .45 Colt. I have about a half dozen reloading manuals that say so, most use the .45 Colt as the label for that cartridge's section and note that the round is also called ".45 Long Colt". The Hornady manual lists the same round as .45 Long Colt.

In addition to the .45 Colt there are also .45 Auto Rim and .45 Win Magnum for revolvers and .45acp (automatic colt pistol) rimless cartridge for automatics.

I don't know where you got your information, but it's wrong.

Allan

·
Registered
428 Posts
cant you use .45acp rounds with moon or half moon clips in a revolver chambered for .45 auto rim? i know there is some similarity between two of the .45 rounds.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sorry buddy, but the .45 Long Colt is simply another name for the .45 Colt. I have about a half dozen reloading manuals that say so, most use the .45 Colt as the label for that cartridge's section and note that the round is also called ".45 Long Colt". The Hornady manual lists the same round as .45 Long Colt.

In addition to the .45 Colt there are also .45 Auto Rim and .45 Win Magnum for revolvers and .45acp (automatic colt pistol) rimless cartridge for automatics.

I don't know where you got your information, but it's wrong.

Allan
Don't forget about the .45 GAP.

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,021 Posts
Yes. .45 colt was "re-named" .45 Long Colt to reduce confusion with .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) which is a rimless, cut down version of the .45 Long Colt. The .45 LC was originally a black-powder cartridge that can only take a limited packing of modern smokeless powder.

Your saved your buddy a HUGE liability, the difference between a .44 Magnum and a .45 Long Colt is as follows:

.44 MAgnum - 180 grain to 300 grain bullet and 1,100 - 1,500 ft-lbs of energy.
.45 LC - 200 grain to 255 grain bullet and 475 - 525 ft-lbs of energy.

.44 Magnum is 3x as powerful!

In modern firearms, like the Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero, you CAN use .45 ACP with clips, because it has been designed to handle higher pressures, but only if its stamped on the side of the barrel.

.45 ACP is only 10% - 15% higher energy than a .45 LC.

Do NOT try this with

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
cant you use .45acp rounds with moon or half moon clips in a revolver chambered for .45 auto rim? i know there is some similarity between two of the .45 rounds.
Actually it is the other way around.

S&W and Colt made (S&W still does), revolvers to fire the .45 ACP w/ the moon, 1/2 moon clips.

They were used to help the shortage of the 1911 type ACP's during ww I, I believe.

The .45 Auto Rim was made later to be able to use those revolvers w/o the clips and still be able to eject the empty cartridiges with the ejector rod.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
NO. 45 colt is a a round made for automatic pistols. 45 Long Colt is an older round made for revolvers.
That book has it all wrong.
The term "Long" was never even considered by the creator of the round. (Colt and UMC)
The long moniker got hung on it as a result of the fact that the US Army was buying both Colt 1873 SAA type revolvers and S&W Model 3 revolver that used a shorter case.
The Colt could use the .45 Scofield ammo but the model 3 could not use the Colts longer ammo.
The Army standardized on the Scofield round until the Model 3 was removed from service.
The term "long Colt" is a misnomer.
.45 ACP is the round created for the 1911. It is not referred to as .45 colt.
If you go into a gun store and ask for .45 Colt for your 1911 you will get a rimmed cartridge for a revolver.
If you ask for a long colt the guy behind the counter needs to correct you as he hands you the box of .45 Colt for your revolver.

9mm Parabellum/Luger/9x19:
When the Luger pistol was developed it was originally a .30 caliber 7.65X22 Parabellum round.
Though it was a real zinger the German Navy wanted a larger diameter round so the 9x19 was developed I believe by Luger himself* and called it Parabellum(Latin meaning for war) the only pisol it was used in for a while was the P08 so it also became known as "9MM Luger" among other names.
9 x 19 mm, 9mm Luger, 9 mm nato, 9mm para are all the same beast.

* Not sure on this as it is accredited to DWM but he was the big dog there at the time

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
That book has it all wrong.
The term "Long" was never even considered by the creator of the round. (Colt and UMC)
The long moniker got hung on it as a result of the fact that the US Army was buying both Colt 1873 SAA type revolvers and S&W Model 3 revolver that used a shorter case.
The Colt could use the .45 Scofield ammo but the model 3 could not use the Colts longer ammo.
The Army standardized on the Scofield round until the Model 3 was removed from service.
The term "long Colt" is a misnomer.
.45 ACP is the round created for the 1911. It is not referred to as .45 colt.
If you go into a gun store and ask for .45 Colt for your 1911 you will get a rimmed cartridge for a revolver.
If you ask for a long colt the guy behind the counter needs to correct you as he hands you the box of .45 Colt for your revolver.

9mm Parabellum/Luger/9x19:
When the Luger pistol was developed it was originally a .30 caliber 7.65X22 Parabellum round.
Though it was a real zinger the German Navy wanted a larger diameter round so the 9x19 was developed I believe by Luger himself* and called it Parabellum(Latin meaning for war) the only pisol it was used in for a while was the P08 so it also became known as "9MM Luger" among other names.
9 x 19 mm, 9mm Luger, 9 mm nato, 9mm para are all the same beast.

* Not sure on this as it is accredited to DWM but he was the big dog there at the time
Ditto that. :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts