Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Liberty or Death
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you all know the average cost of a box 8mm rounds that arent surplus? Because I went on some other sites and the prices were all over the map.

·
Gun Guy
200 Posts
Im assuming you are talking about 8mm mauser rifle rounds. I just bought 500 rounds of surplus stuff that is making the rounds everywhere. Its corrosive I think. Anyway it shoots spectacularly! I clean my gun when I get home and there is no problem. Just my .02

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
the last box of 170grn remington core lokt I got was around $30.00 . If you look around you can find PRVI Patizan for around $12.00-$15.00 a box. Its made in serbia,brass cased,reloadable.And its also a soft point for hunting.

·
Liberty or Death
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im assuming you are talking about 8mm mauser rifle rounds. I just bought 500 rounds of surplus stuff that is making the rounds everywhere. Its corrosive I think. Anyway it shoots spectacularly! I clean my gun when I get home and there is no problem. Just my .02
The reson I dont want surplus is because I use it for hunting and I heard surplus sucks for hunting.

·
Gun Guy
200 Posts
Well its FMJ, I dont know about Ohio but in Va the surplus stuff is actually illegal to hunt with. I just have it for recreation and to just have some ammo on hand.

I imagine some kind of expanding bullet would be much better. Ive only ever shot surplus stuff so I cant comment on that.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Most of the surplus stuff is coming out of either Turkey or the Old Yugoslavia (Serbia now). Shop around and you can still find some good stuff. get a current copy of SHot GUn News and see what it is going for in there.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Last time I checked I could get Remington for about 21 or 23 bucks a box at Bi-Mart (a regional department store). That said, I don't really check that often.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Aim surplus. 99.00 shipped for 340 rounds of steel core on strippers. Gotta be honest I have a half box of soft tips that are 12 years old. One per deer. One shot. One kill. 6 boxes of softpoint should last you a lifetime unless you hunt most of the seasons.

The surplus I go through 100 or more at a time.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
8mm Mauser round is a very good round and I am fortunate to have a couple of firearms that are chambered in that round. Currently ther is still an available supply of surplus ammo at some low prices and it is one round I am stocking up on. I reload and the surplus price is cheaper than bullets to relaod with. I like to have fun with my guns and have some historical collector ones like a GEW-43 and SAFN-49 both of which are in my groups mix. Yes! the FN-FAL might be a slightly better choice but given the price of the gun and ammo. I aquired the SAFN-49 a while back for a much lower price and have a usable supply of ammo for less than the FN-FAL costs. Enough that a SAR-1 and ammo and extra mags was aquired.
While SAFN-49's cost more than say and SKS they are about the same in profile, weight, and magazine capacity. The SAFN really beats the SKS in range and hitting power. Ammo is less to. Sure the milsurp is corrosive but for a defensive situation one can clean up latter. Look around some SAFN's will set you back about what a SAR-1 will run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts