Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a question. i plan to buy a 12 ga. Remington 870 shotgun. i hope to use it for deer, turkey, and hogs. is that a good plan? is it a good beginer gun? also, i have a .22 mossberg that my grandpa got for me when he was in college, and lately, it has been rusting beyond control. idk how to disassemble it, so i cant clean it as i would like to do.... what should i do????

·
Registered
246 Posts
Welcome to SB. Glad to have you here. Good questions. The 870 is a great pump shotgun. If you've never had any experience with pumps, it takes a little 'muscle memory' building time to get used to the rhythm but after awhile you can pump and hold it on target at the same time. Good choice. As far as the Mossberg, I'd look online for some exploded diagrams. I've never dealt with them personally so I can't give you first hand knowledge. I'd start off getting rid of the surface rust, clean the barrel thoroughly. Maybe use a bore light (usually about $5 at Academy or even WalMart) to look for any pitting in the barrel. Sometimes shooting it some will help break loose any gunk that might have accumulated over time. Clean it good and leave it with a light coat of oil afterwards while you're perusing the exploded diagram. Or just take it to a gunshop and ask the advice of the gunsmith.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I carry an 870 everyday in the police car. It is my best friend and I will never be without one. Probably the best all around shotgun ever made and I daily stake my life on that one. I have shot hogs, dogs, coyotes, bears, and also used it to defend my life. It will suit what you need just fine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i got a question. i plan to buy a 12 ga. Remington 870 shotgun. i hope to use it for deer, turkey, and hogs. is that a good plan? is it a good beginer gun? also, i have a .22 mossberg that my grandpa got for me when he was in college, and lately, it has been rusting beyond control. idk how to disassemble it, so i cant clean it as i would like to do.... what should i do????
The 870 if a very fine shotgun. You can get it with a side-folding buttstock and pistol grip and there's even one that has a three shells shell-holder in the folding buttstock. Really nice and useful. See if you are allowed to get an extension tube.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Post a pic when you get it. I used to own a Mossy 590 and there is no comparison. I keep the 870 in my POV. It outclasses my Benelli easily. This is one gun I will never do without. I should really sell the Benelli.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Get that .22 to a gunsmith or an old time shooter and ask some advice. Nothing is sadder to see an old gun rust out. Do NOT shoot it if you do not know if the barrel is not unobstructed. As for the 870 it is a fine gun, just remember that when you pull that forearm back do it with authority and push it up with authority also. The most common mistake a new shooter makes with an 870 is trying to be gentle cycling the gun and they short stroke the gun causing a misfire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can NEVER go wrong with an 870... Damn fine gun all around.... and NOTHING get an "evil doers" attention like the rack of an 870....

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I'd recommend looking for an older 870 wingmaster over a newer Express. The older guns have a much more polished action,the newer ones are gritty,and have plastic trigger guards.

·
Asatru Okie Inbred
36 Posts
Rem 870 is one of the best shotties-and there are a few thangs that can be done to improve it as far as proformance-such as back boring the barrell and making the forcing cone longer-those two thangs will tighten your group -Keith

1 - 10 of 10 Posts