Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I worked in a video store in the late 80's. They used to let us take a certain number home free so we'd know what was good. Great time for movies....also for TV, comic books, and for music.

You guys remember Coleco Vision? I still have mine, a bunch of extras like the roller ball, and a ton of games. Awesome.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Had an ATARI 800XL computer. Used to wait for the new Byte magazine to come out so we could type in the BASIC programs and run them. Not much happened, and couldn't afford the tape drive so every time you powered it down, you had to type the whole thing back in again.
Sat in the front row for the Kansas Leftoverture tour. Best seat in a concert I ever had.
Was at the concert where Blue Oyster Cult used their high powered lasers for the last time before they were banned. Godzilla was fantastic.
Owned a couple of video rental stores in the late 80's, so have seen every movie ever made, I think.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I spent the 80s in the USSR, and it was, quite possibly, the most benign decade in the thousand-years-long history of Russia -- and definitely in the 20th century. Moved to the US in 1989. Just in time to miss the hellish 90s back home -- and enjoy the still-benign 90s here.

After the transition to the new continent and the new decade, I came to own a lot more "stuff" and distractions, and a lot less of absolutely everything else, of all the "things money can't buy." It would be hard to explain to anyone who knows the USSR/Russia from Hollywood renditions and hasn't grown up inside a sturdy and lasting (often lifelong) network of support, friendships, mutual help, non-commercial creative fun, the sweetness of the ideological and cultural "forbidden fruits" when you could lay your hands on them -- still not entirely safe in the 80s but nowhere near as dangerous to partake of anymore -- and, most importantly, everyday human interactions -- they were a lot less strained, and work was a lot less tiring and nowhere near as bitchy in terms of the moral climate (nobody fired you if you wanted to keep your job, and you had to work really hard on screwing up bad enough for the termination of employment to become a possibility). And commute was either 10 minutes' worth of public transportation or 20 minutes on foot anywhere I had to be -- absolutely anywhere, work or study or pleasure, in a city with one million residents. Oh, and I never paid a kopeck for anything medical while being exposed in that area to the good, the bad and the ugly to the same extent as here -- only a different kind of good/bad/ugly. All in all, in the 80s, for me personally and my family and friends and relatives, everything was copacetic the way it never was ever again, anywhere. But I was a dissident in the 80s. I only think what I think in hind sight, at the time I was focused on what was wrong, and what was right was so habitual and ordinary I only noticed it used to be there when it was gone.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Did this in the winters. Cowboy boots made good skis. Or we tied sleds behind 3 wheelers.

View attachment 397914
No helmet, no safety glasses, no knee pads
How did you ever survive?
/sarc

Reminds me, about that time period,
I had some kids do that when I was delivering a load of lumber in our flat bed. They were hanging onto
the tie downs right behind the duals. It scared me worse than them of course.
I stopped, chewed them out, and chased them all the way to their house. One of them is still around,
the other was unfortunatly killed on a dare, by jumping off a cliif above the river.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My dad loved the 80s. He said that when he started college there wasn't a computer science major available. It was engineering, math, or nothing. No broadband internet access, and really no internet. Definitely not for me. Although Phoebe Cates in Fast Times was hotter than the plastic surgery and monster butt actress that are popular now. Although seeing Big Arnie in The Terminator, and women like Linda Hamilton buffed out like in Terminator Two makes me smile. Salem's Lot is still my favorite horror movie.

·
I Seen A Sighting!
3,612 Posts
The 80s for me was work and college, work and college, year in, year out. Poor as hell, seemed all the work earnings went to the college, and some to living. Cheap but clean car (76 Ford Pinto wagon with the wood grain!) and cheap clothes. But women's clothes and shoes were really great. Hairstyles not so much if like me you didn't like the big sprayed up styles. Far as I got was a long curly perm. Makeup was heavy. And dark.

Music was pretty good, I liked a lot of pop stuff but I also liked southern rock. There were some pretty good bands out at the time.

I just remember being poor, and working and going to college. Looking back, it was not as bad as I thought it was at the time. Being young, I had no hindsight at the time.

·
Registered
14,359 Posts
Spent half of the 80's in Germany, so missed a lot of what was going on in the States. Spent ALL of the 80's (and 90s) raising kids.
‘86-‘90 in Germany. Good tiMessage there, too.

I think you mean the 80's guys will inherit a bankrupt country.
Funny thing. Everything you have, is because of what we and our parents and grandparents did.
Everything going bankrupt is because the little idiots won’t listen to us when we tell them what’s going to happen if they keep doing stupid things.

We already inherited our country. And we made it better, and left it to the next ones....and all they want to do is whine about things.

Idiots.

16,746 Posts
41 - 60 of 76 Posts