Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

spirit animal / unicorn
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
80s nostalgia has been a big thing for a while now. I wasn't able to pay attention to it all along, but in the last few years, I got more into it. Then more recently, I noticed it's possible it can be a much deeper dive than you first expect.

I'm actually on the verge of an 80s overdose right now, I think, and I'm probably going to start backing away from it all a little. And that way it can all be fresh again when I want to come back to it again in 5 or 10 years.

Just wanted to set this thread up as general 80s nostalgia thread, though, I guess mainly for giving each other tips.

I know there's also a lot of cool imitation 80s stuff out there, now, too. There's a ton of synthwave, to the point that I'm now staying away from it, because I don't want to get sick of it 馃ぃ This thread can also be for recommending synthwave and other non-authentically-80s stuff, too, tho.

Here are my first thoughts:

-I recently (remembered and) rewatched Yor and Beastmaster. I find they both have cool things about them, but Beastmaster is actually the much cooler one, better in a few ways. Trivia fact, the actor who plays the hero in Beastmaster, Marc Singer, was also Donovan in V.

-Although people are kind of hyper focused on the 80s, it's impossible to really be in the 80s mindset without the context. For instance--- 80s people included a lot of people who grew up in the 70s, 60s, or earlier, 80s people remembered and were reacting to stuff from the 70s, there was a lot of 50s nostalgia in the 80s. Oldies radio stations used to play a lot of 50s and 60s, not 70s, 80s and 90s. Cowboy / western TV and movies were a lot of the background of American culture before the 80s.

-Example of something actually from an earlier decade that is very memorable to me from the 80s: the sci-fi movie Logan's Run.

-If you liked games like Bad Dudes and Double Dragon, Streets of Rage 4 is a cool recent game done in the same style, but with newer technology. Don't like everything about it, but all in all, it's very worthwhile.

You can even choose a retro soundtrack instead of the default (dance dj) one. And there are secret points where you can play a few minutes of the original Streets of Rage games.

-People have been rediscovering mullets, new wave and punk rock haircuts, but being a straightlace was also a big part of the 80s. It's something that would be easy to point out to younger people if you showed em 80s movies or tv shows.

-Checked out the TV series Tales From The Darkside recently, and it has a great, eerie 80s theme / opening.

-The sci-fi movie Runaway, with Tom Selleck (menace: killer robots)

-Checking out the 80s isn't always that satisfying. A feeling like you're messing around with old junk, or noticing things in a movie that you couldn't notice as a younger person. Some things you've maybe grown too sophisticated for. There are a few aspects to it. It's not really true that things weren't corrupt in the 80s, but now they are.

Registered
Nah, the '80's was OK. The good stuff from the '70's was still around, there were more music choices than just rock, country or disco; and cars were coming out of the late '70's slump as engineers figured out how to make power without failing emissions tests. Toyota was creating a new truck market for small trucks that lasted more than 75,000 miles, the Japanese cars were pushing the big boats off the roads, Europe was still a nice place to visit and your dollar made it a good deal, and life was good because the leftists were just hippies and idiots that no one listened to outside of California and New York.

spirit animal / unicorn
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In 1980, I moved to the country, where there was no TV, no internet, no entertainment except listening to A Prairie Home Companion on the radio.
After reading Jim's post, I think I was lucky to have missed the '80's.
Yeah, but for better or worse, I grew up absorbing a lot of that stuff, and a lot of other people are like that, too.

We have to try to be the best versions we can be of people who lived through the 80s, and who share that common thing to talk about / perspective on the world.

We can't just all go back in time and erase it, and re-do it like you did.

馃し鈥嶁檪锔

The 80s guys will inherit the Earth, in other words.

spirit animal / unicorn
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Europe was still a nice place to visit and your dollar made it a good deal
(y)

MAkes me think that if I write something like "the 80s WERE corrupt..." I know I risk someone in their 20s or 30s saying "wth are you talking about???" They're right, there's filth in every direction now compared to the 80s, it sometimes seems.....

the leftists were just hippies and idiots that no one listened to outside of California and New York.
They've changed A LOT over the last 20 yrs...

I saw today Rashida Tlaib introduced a bill to free all federal prisoners. What is the practical use of a move like that? It looks like we actually have people positioning themselves to be revolutionary leaders, specifically, The Squad.

Or what about the left's reaction to Waukesha...

The types of attitudes that helped get people into being left-wing in the 80s and 90s don't exist anymore. It's a different flavor.

Registered
They've changed A LOT over the last 20 yrs...

I saw today Rashida Tlaib introduced a bill to free all federal prisoners. What is the practical use of a move like that? It looks like we actually have people positioning themselves to be revolutionary leaders, specifically, The Squad.

Or what about the left's reaction to Waukesha...

The types of attitudes that helped get people into being left-wing in the 80s and 90s don't exist anymore. It's a different flavor.
You're right. They've become militant, and since the political system won't allow them to defeat the majority, they no longer care to play the game, they want to change it. They're doing that two ways; use the media to change public opinion by hiding the truth and emphasizing the lies, and change the political system by any means necessary. Fraud, corruption, whatever it takes to destroy faith in the system and make it non-functional; so that people WANT a change; that way their offer sounds like a viable option, despite all the horrific historical lessons telling us it's NOT.

Registered
When I think of the 80鈥檚, I think about parachute pants, members only jackets, girls with jellies and big hair.

I think about bands like Journey, Def Leopard, Bon Jovi, Ratt and Foreigner.

I remember the Cutlass Supreme and the Monte Carlo were very popular cars. Same goes for the Trans Am and the Grand Prix.

There were some fun things in the 80鈥檚 that didn鈥檛 make a lot of sense. They were just fun.

Registered
Coming off record hign interest rates of the 70s
`1981-1982 Rescession & record high unemployement
Spotted Owl fiasco - 32% unemployment in our area
Disco died
Olympic Boycott of Russia--for invading Afganistan....
Jimmy Carter

But we did get:
Naked Gun-Police Squad,
Airplane,
2nd/3rd Star Wars,
4 Star Trek Movies-Including the Wrath of Khan

1 - 20 of 76 Posts