Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Silver Wings
11,356 Posts
Being about halfway through "One Second After", I could not agree more.

If societal collapse happens, it will be as challenging mentally as physically. Death will visit himself upon everyone in one fashion or another. There is no way to prepare 100% for such an event, and no way to remain invisible to the hungry masses. Many will turn to suicide and euthanasia. Others will go off the reservation and kill indiscriminately for a bite of food or drink of water. Forget all you think about Christianity and good will towards men. It will be hell on earth. Tribulations. Armageddon. The rules of our reality will cease to exist.

Have a nice day. :)

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
The Great Depression of the 1930's produced a lot of grim statistics. Few of those, however, are worse than this one.......two million married American men chose to abandon their wives and children as the Depression lengthened. The excuse the men used was that they were "going on the road to look for work".

This huge group of men left their wives behind, condemned to a desperate struggle to feed and provide for the children that BOTH parents created. Most of these women never heard from their husbands, again. They had no idea whether those men were alive, or dead. Technically, they were still married to a husband. So, they didn't have the option to re-marry.

Yes, some of these men ended up dying either riding the rails on the freight trains or from other causes. But, many survived and just found it easier NOT to return to the wives and children left behind.

I can't even imagine the despair and hopelessness those women must have felt.......as they struggled against overwhelming odds and starvation, day after day.

The terrible memories of Depression life scarred many people, emotionally, for the rest of their lives. And sickening statistics, like this, are a major reason "why" Depression survivors never truly felt "safe" again.

·
The end is,,,,,
9,984 Posts
Being about halfway through "One Second After", I could not agree more.

If societal collapse happens, it will be as challenging mentally as physically. Death will visit himself upon everyone in one fashion or another. There is no way to prepare 100% for such an event, and no way to remain invisible to the hungry masses. Many will turn to suicide and euthanasia. Others will go off the reservation and kill indiscriminately for a bite of food or drink of water. Forget all you think about Christianity and good will towards men. It will be hell on earth. Tribulations. Armageddon. The rules of our reality will cease to exist.

Have a nice day. :)
I agree with you 100%. And have you finished it yet?? Good book.

·
ladypatriotus.blogspot.co
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Great Depression of the 1930's produced a lot of grim statistics. Few of those, however, are worse than this one.......two million married American men chose to abandon their wives and children as the Depression lengthened. The excuse the men used was that they were "going on the road to look for work".

This huge group of men left their wives behind, condemned to a desperate struggle to feed and provide for the children that BOTH parents created. Most of these women never heard from their husbands, again. They had no idea whether those men were alive, or dead. Technically, they were still married to a husband. So, they didn't have the option to re-marry.

Yes, some of these men ended up dying either riding the rails on the freight trains or from other causes. But, many survived and just found it easier NOT to return to the wives and children left behind.

I can't even imagine the despair and hopelessness those women must have felt.......as they struggled against overwhelming odds and starvation, day after day.

The terrible memories of Depression life scarred many people, emotionally, for the rest of their lives. And sickening statistics, like this, are a major reason "why" Depression survivors never truly felt "safe" again.
So very true. But what makes this all so much more despairing is that back then, people were more capable than today's society is to take care of themselves and look how difficult it was for them. It's just very disturbing to think of what is going to happen if we enter another Great Depression type scenario. I shudder to think of what is going to happen to those who have turned a blind eye to our possible future and have no real life skills whatsoever. And for those of us who ARE preparing, it still is not going to be easy in the least.

·
Dios y Tejas
6,689 Posts
So very true. But what makes this all so much more despairing is that back then, people were more capable than today's society is to take care of themselves and look how difficult it was for them. It's just very disturbing to think of what is going to happen if we enter another Great Depression type scenario. I shudder to think of what is going to happen to those who have turned a blind eye to our possible future and have no real life skills whatsoever. And for those of us who ARE preparing, it still is not going to be easy in the least.
The Great Depression as it occured back in the 30's will never happen again for the reasons you are stating. It will be the violent killing time as those raised to believe the government will solve all problems will turn to raiding and looting to get what they feel they are "entitled". The inner cities are one place I dont wish to be when and if it all comes falling down.

·
Banned
3,048 Posts

About 40 % of the single parents in the USA already live like that.
http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/p60-240.pdf
It's already OK for "baby daddy" to not pay child support. It is no longer a ghetto issue, even regular working class people think it is OK to run out on your kids and let someone else pay the bill.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
All we are seeing is a repeat, the first time around the large banks took steps to cause the first depression in order to gain control of all the smaller banks all we are seeing is the exact same thing but on a global scale.

Many do not think we are in a depression because all looks well, but thats because of an endless stream of social aid handouts, QE1, QE2, QE3, 4 years of extended unemployment. Our Country is slowly changing into a Government dependent nation

·
Registered
650 Posts
The thing to remember about the Great Depression is that even during its worst years, most people had jobs and homes. It's just that a much larger than usual proportion didn't. During the worst years unemployment ran about 25%. That's a whole lot better than 100%, which may be looming ahead. As bad as the Depression was, the future could be far worse.

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The thing to remember about the Great Depression is that even during its worst years, most people had jobs and homes. It's just that a much larger than usual proportion didn't. During the worst years unemployment ran about 25%. That's a whole lot better than 100%, which may be looming ahead. As bad as the Depression was, the future could be far worse.
EXACTLY! Hence why the article is titled "8 Reasons the Great Depression is the BEST Case Scenario" :(

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Unemployment in some cities may have been close to 100%. At that level, society disintegrates. I once read a coffee table book about the history of my hometown. It stated that in 1932, 25,000 people were unemployed, BUT the population of the entire city was 100,000. Now, most women didn't work at wage jobs, and you have to take into account children, elderly, etc. That gives you a likely unemployment rate of worse than 90%. I'm sure that the situation was similar in other cities. There were several riots caused by the perceived indifference of the one-woman welfare office in this city to the plight of the poor. This woman tried to sort "bums" from the truly needy, and failed.

When you get unemployment of 80%+, you wind up with Afghanistan or Somalia. Men square off in militias over food and women. Women are gang raped and murdered. Beauty suddenly becomes a liability, as pretty women are seized by the mobs for carnal lust. Once the food and women run out, the mobs fight each other. This is what happened in Afghanistan after the Soviets left. Eventually, a weary populace welcomed the Taliban, since the Taliban brought peace. Freedom became expendable, just to stop the cycle of revenge.

·
Rational Being
1,976 Posts
Is this slfournier? Just curious. Seems familiar somehow.

I had never heard of the mass exodus of husbands who never came back. Just one more statistic in our history that has been smoothed over. What a horrible thing.

Unfortunately, some of us already are separated from our spouse in order to make financial peace. This is my husband's second civilian tour overseas, and will probably be the last. We only agreed on it because of the awesome pay offer. He signed a contract, then a few weeks into it was told that no one is getting the signing bonuses anymore... even though it was in the contract. He put his regular job on hold to go off and make all this extra money, then it was cut nearly in half in one fell swoop.

Times are hard, but no one realizes it because everything is paid for with invisible money. Credit is king, and the kingdom is teetering on the brink. It just amazes me that so many people put their faith in this house of cards. That both of our Presidential candidates selected by main stream media are popular despite being adamant about not curbing debt or cutting spending or even auditing the Fed. A high school class treasurer knows you can't spend more than what you have. What the heck is wrong with society when we praise a President and Congress who don't understand that concept?

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is this slfournier? Just curious. Seems familiar somehow.
Yes, it is slfournier. Had my username changed to match my moniker :cool:

Times are hard, but no one realizes it because everything is paid for with invisible money. Credit is king, and the kingdom is teetering on the brink. It just amazes me that so many people put their faith in this house of cards. That both of our Presidential candidates selected by main stream media are popular despite being adamant about not curbing debt or cutting spending or even auditing the Fed. A high school class treasurer knows you can't spend more than what you have. What the heck is wrong with society when we praise a President and Congress who don't understand that concept?
You are so right on this! Simple mathematics are completely glazed over in this society. The people of the US have long lived on invisible money. But so many citizens are blind to how damaging it is and the liberals keep saying spend more, spend more! Give us handouts!

Now, I'm not perfect. I fell into the debt trap for years, then I woke up. I have recently paid off all my debt (being deployed does help) including medical bills and I vow to never ever become a slave to other people's money again. I'm going through a divorce and even gladly gave my McMansion to the ex. Wiped my hands free of it. Now I am working my rear end off to save money to buy my own small farm and live simple and frugal. Oh, I can't wait for that day!

Cheers!

·
Dios y Tejas
6,689 Posts
....I fell into the debt trap for years, then I woke up. I have recently paid off all my debt (being deployed does help) including medical bills and I vow to never ever become a slave to other people's money again.....
Didnt we all? We never let it get too far out of hand, but we did have the foresight to save/invest 13% annually since we got married 39 years ago, so we can pay off whatever we need to when we want to. The key is realizing errors made and correcting them as you are doing now. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
There are several factors in play now,that makes the coming "Depression" more horrible than the last.
At the time of the last depression,We had NO National Debt or Deficit. Personal debt was unheard of.
Most people still lived in some what rural settings,and were able to raise some food to help themselves. And there was no integrated global economic system. When this one happens it will happen quickly and will be multiple times worst than anything we have ever seen or read about in the history books.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Unemployment in some cities may have been close to 100%. At that level, society disintegrates. I once read a coffee table book about the history of my hometown. It stated that in 1932, 25,000 people were unemployed, BUT the population of the entire city was 100,000. Now, most women didn't work at wage jobs, and you have to take into account children, elderly, etc. That gives you a likely unemployment rate of worse than 90%. I'm sure that the situation was similar in other cities. There were several riots caused by the perceived indifference of the one-woman welfare office in this city to the plight of the poor. This woman tried to sort "bums" from the truly needy, and failed.

When you get unemployment of 80%+, you wind up with Afghanistan or Somalia. Men square off in militias over food and women. Women are gang raped and murdered. Beauty suddenly becomes a liability, as pretty women are seized by the mobs for carnal lust. Once the food and women run out, the mobs fight each other. This is what happened in Afghanistan after the Soviets left. Eventually, a weary populace welcomed the Taliban, since the Taliban brought peace. Freedom became expendable, just to stop the cycle of revenge.
Yes, there was great disproportion. One-industry towns were hardest-hit of all. If 90% of the town's workforce worked at a single factory or mill, and that business shut down, the whole town suffered terribly. Cities with a variety of manufacture and service businesses suffered less. Interestingly, places where the major businesses were in entertainment and hospitality, like Hollywood and the resort cities, suffered hardly at all.
Farmers were chronically indebted even before the Depression, and many family farms were foreclosed on, but agriculture went on, though with very low pay. People had to eat. Then the Dustbowl hit. My father's family lived in Oklahoma and finally left not because my grandfather was unemployed but because the place became unlivable. They moved to South Texas where Grandpa could work in the oil fields, same as in Oklahoma. Times were hard and nobody had much money in South Texas, but food and accomodations were cheap, the neighbors were congenial and there were, blessedly, no dust storms.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts