Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Depends
373 Posts
I remember seeing a whole family of Whisper cartridges and calibers by the guy that originally came out 300 whisper.
As for the 8.6 I am sure it would be a lot of fun shooting out to a mile and beyond. The 300gr bullets are 25 percent heavier than a 240gr 30cal that you can shoot out of a 300bo. To me that is not a big gain. To me the 458 socom is a much better choice it still fits in the AR platform and you can shoot 500gr and heaver bulltets at 1000fps plus. Yes they are not arrow dynamic like the 300gr 338 bullet but with over a 1100lbs of muzzle energy it it has 60 percent more muzzle energy. Only question is if a reloader was to crank this up and run the 300gr how fast can they be launched. And with a BC of .8 and higher they are low drag and will not shed much energy even out to 1000 yards.
NDR

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Nice if you have the need for a suppressed .375 subsonic round. Without expanding subsonic bullets it will have limited subsonic hunting applications. I’m sure Leigh Defense will make them soon. 16” barrel and supersonic with an AccuBond or TSSX bullet will make for an interesting set up. I’m not sure what you’d gain over the 450 bushmaster.

The subsonic penetration and energy is going to be huge over the 300BLK.

For the most part a answer for a question nobody was really asking for.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice if you have the need for a suppressed .375 subsonic round. Without expanding subsonic bullets it will have limited subsonic hunting applications. I’m sure Leigh Defense will make them soon. 16” barrel and supersonic with an AccuBond or TSSX bullet will make for an interesting set up. I’m not sure what you’d gain over the 450 bushmaster.

Yep I agree. I love the 300 BLK for its large assortment of 30 caliber projectiles, simple barrel switch from a 5.56 platform, and same inexpensive 5.56 magazines. Oh, and really important to me...super simple and easy to reload. The 8.6 though....I'm neither for nor against it.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remember seeing a whole family of Whisper cartridges and calibers by the guy that originally came out 300 whisper.
As for the 8.6 I am sure it would be a lot of fun shooting out to a mile and beyond. The 300gr bullets are 25 percent heavier than a 240gr 30cal that you can shoot out of a 300bo. To me that is not a big gain. To me the 458 socom is a much better choice it still fits in the AR platform and you can shoot 500gr and heaver bulltets at 1000fps plus. Yes they are not arrow dynamic like the 300gr 338 bullet but with over a 1100lbs of muzzle energy it it has 60 percent more muzzle energy. Only question is if a reloader was to crank this up and run the 300gr how fast can they be launched. And with a BC of .8 and higher they are low drag and will not shed much energy even out to 1000 yards.
NDR
At the lower velocites the 300 BLK and 8.6 BLK achieve, mile and beyond shooting isn't a reality....I'm thinking

·
Comm Monkey
787 Posts
Yep I agree. I love the 300 BLK for its large assortment of 30 caliber projectiles, simple barrel switch from a 5.56 platform, and same inexpensive 5.56 magazines. Oh, and really important to me...super simple and easy to reload. The 8.6 though....I'm neither for nor against it.
The only issue I have with my 300 BLK is at least one of my loads has no trouble at all chambering in my 5.56 upper. between color coding mags and keeping everything separated I'm not too concerned but it is something to think about. I wonder if the 8.6 would have the same issue with say a 308 or 6.5 creedmore rifle.

·
Registered
Depends
373 Posts
At the lower velocites the 300 BLK and 8.6 BLK achieve, mile and beyond shooting isn't a reality....I'm thinking
If you were to check out my channel on Youtube you would know it is a reality. So much so that when I went for it Freehand on an 18 inch silhouette target at 1 mile I chose to do it with the 300bo. The interesting thing about the 300bo with heavier bullets and this new 8.6. The bullets have such a high BC even though you are sending rainbows down range they do not slow down that much even at distance. When I was shooting at 2200 yards with my contender pistol according to the math the 200gr Sierra match bullets were arriving still going 800fps I was pushing them as hard as I could.
As for this 8.6 to me it would be a waste if you are looking to shoot sub sonic because of only 25 percent more than a 300bo. I would take a 45-70 lever gun with a suppressor over this 8.6. Yet gain like the socom 500gr bullets at 1000fps. The thing about the 8.6 I would not be surprised if it was capable of launching 225gr bullets at 2000fps or a little faster and that gives it a big edge over the 300bo and the 45-70.
NDR

·
Registered
Depends
373 Posts
The only issue I have with my 300 BLK is at least one of my loads has no trouble at all chambering in my 5.56 upper. between color coding mags and keeping everything separated I'm not too concerned but it is something to think about. I wonder if the 8.6 would have the same issue with say a 308 or 6.5 creedmore rifle.
Yes with the lighter bullets because they are seating the OAL shorter there is not much of the bullet bearing surface sticking out. For me anything 150gr or lighter will go into a 556 or 223. I have heard of a case where the gun blew up when a 300bo got chambered in a 223.
NDR

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts

it is an answer to a question hunters where asking for. The “ question” is a more powerful subsonic round with factory ammo available.

kevin from Q has been talking about the cartridge and Qs work in developing it for a long time. It appears to be all about hunting bigger animals with subsonic rounds from a short barrel. And of course being able to use an ar10 platform.

subsonic 300 BLK is kinda weak for deer or pigs , esp at any distance. This is gonna give a more ethical kill and work with an 11 inch barrel.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a dedicated lower with FDE pistol grip and FDE backup sights, and only use FDE magpul mags for my 300 BLK. I also label the mags 300 BLK. So far, no confusion.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
it is an answer to a question hunters where asking for. The “ question” is a more powerful subsonic round with factory ammo available.

kevin from Q has been talking about the cartridge and Qs work in developing it for a long time. It appears to be all about hunting bigger animals with subsonic rounds from a short barrel. And of course being able to use an ar10 platform.

subsonic 300 BLK is kinda weak for deer or pigs , esp at any distance. This is gonna give a more ethical kill and work with an 11 inch barrel.
That answer will require, just like the 300BLK, a 3rd party manufacture to make .375 subsonic expanding hunting bullets. Without them the subsonic hunting will be very limited. The supersonic will be devastating, like the 300BLK, it will be similar to 1/2 dozen+ other rounds ballistics.

I have a lot of field experience hunting hogs and deer with a 8” suppressed 300BLK. The bullet makes the difference at 125 yards and under. The only limitation on deer and hogs is distance, with a 194 grain subsonic expanding bullet. Devastating lung damage on pass through. Almost like a broad head.

Until Lehigh Defense (or other) make subsonic hunting bullets, subsonic hunting will be limited with this round. Supersonic is going to be great. A 16” barrel and a can with 250 to 300 grain spritzer should pound elk size game out to 400 yards. It will be great for bear/moose gas gun hunting.

But, like the 300BLK, unless it’s set up for subsonic hunting, there are a lot of supersonic rounds that are similar in performance.

This will be a niche round. Once components become easily obtainable, I’ll mill out a .308 lower and build a rifle to play with.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I don’t think it a case of who cares
It more of a case of, JUST HOW MUCH WILL THE THE GUN AND AMMO COST ME?

What improvement will I see over the (insert favorite cartridge)?

Someone I was watching a while back
Refered to this as boutique ammo
And it seems to apply

I like the 300 BLK, and the 6.5 grendal both
interest me. But of the two, the 6.5 has more
going for it. But that’s just for me and I’m not
buying it yet

we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread

·
Registered
864 Posts
It looks neat, but I can't see how it offers anything that we don't already have with 338 federal, 358 winchester, 9x57mm, 9.6x57mm, 375-08, etc. In fact, it looks like it would be almost exactly the same as a 338 federal, other than being based on 6.5 creedmoor instead of .308.

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
Yes with the lighter bullets because they are seating the OAL shorter there is not much of the bullet bearing surface sticking out. For me anything 150gr or lighter will go into a 556 or 223. I have heard of a case where the gun blew up when a 300bo got chambered in a 223.
It's actually happened a number of times, I was present for one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts