Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/74_of_social_media_users_expect_cries_for_help_to.php

So in the event of a natural disaster, 3/4 of people believe that their Facebook/MySpace/etc. cries for help should result in people on scene within an hour.

Have they considered that in a disaster their internet may be down, cell phones unusable, and social networks completely unreachable?

What then? Are people really putting their faith for disaster response in the internet? Did they learn nothing from Katrina and the reverting to Ham Radios for communications?

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts
Link:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/74_of_social_media_users_expect_cries_for_help_to.php

So in the event of a natural disaster, 3/4 of people believe that their Facebook/MySpace/etc. cries for help should result in people on scene within an hour.

Have they considered that in a disaster their internet may be down, cell phones unusable, and social networks completely unreachable?

What then? Are people really putting their faith for disaster response in the internet? Did they learn nothing from Katrina and the reverting to Ham Radios for communications?
Look @ the users of social networks. I would bet the ~74% believing their help request would be heard belong to the group of the so called digital natives.

They simply do not know better.

They lost understanding for the most simple causal relationships.

A generation of retards is growing up, and that phenomena is not limited to the US.

·
Registered
194 Posts
idiots

We knew Katrina was coming and pretty much where.It impacted a small portion of the public and look what a cluster fluck that was.Imagine a disaster that affected half or all the population.I think it would take a little more than an hour.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
but my cell phone and myspace is a civil right it never can go away.........lol

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
Must be all those folks that still think that because the gooberment made them so dependent upon them (govt) that they will always be there to baby set them and change their diapers, and make it all fine and good... Katrina is a wonderful thing to recall about the ineptness of the government.

I kinda wish the phone system would just shut down for say.... 3 days, and see how many of these misguided fools panic. would sure get interesting.

Maybe a full mass disaster, and for about a week see how many are left in the gene pool of idiots. many would sure change, but there are always going to be those that are members of the fools gene pool group.

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
You are actually very right in that...and the immigrants that come here get 6 months of totally free medical and dental and they get loans if the qualify and they can have free housing for 6 months .....

They can also have free cosmetic surgery and cosmetic dental work done, as well as have nearly anything they need foxed medically...and all at the tax payers expense...

·
...somewhere in Maine
247 Posts

·
some strange Nordic man
1,103 Posts
You're all haters!!!!1 I know my first thought during a disaster is to quickly log on to my Facebook account, write down a nice little status update and oh btw please come and save me. Unlike YOU people, I have like, 350 friends on MY Facebook, so that means 350 people will come help!!!!! flawless plan !

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
You are actually very right in that...and the immigrants that come here get 6 months of totally free medical and dental and they get loans if the qualify and they can have free housing for 6 months .....

They can also have free cosmetic surgery and cosmetic dental work done, as well as have nearly anything they need foxed medically...and all at the tax payers expense...
Then they have anchor babies...which makes them legal...then it's 12 months, 24 months...48 months...Bank of America Master Card with no SS number...

·
Registered
473 Posts

Please show me statistics or documentation backing this up. This is the first time I've ever heard of this.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
OMG . . . that last shred of confidence I had that some of the sheeple might make it through a disaster . . . GONE

·
Crazy Old Man
3,937 Posts
many of my contemporaries aren't internet savvy, and even THEY seem to glaze over when I start talking about mass phone, electric, and water disruption. as for the younger ones that ARE amongst the internet crowd- the effect is even worse. They just tune out and not even listen to the old man drone on.

These people will mentally shut down what happens is completely out of their experience or previous thought- they will just sit and curl up and not move or react once it really hits them that they are on their own- for whatever length of time. Shell shock, PTSD, whatever you want to call it. There used to be row upon row of guys like this lined up at Tan Son Nhut- just waiting to be shipped back like broken appliances.

Those that don't shut down or adapt will turn into pirates. Might as well be zombies- they will do things they never considered before as the survival instinct is warped into what I call 'ME-ME Mode'. This is part of the behavior that will let a person run over a baby to reach the door in a fire.

Jeff Cooper created a mental alertness scale with regard to how fast a person can react to a violent situation. White, Yellow, Orange, and Red. White being at complete rest- Red being "IT'S ON". Those that are stuck in white are prey, and will most likely not be able to make the mental jump fast enough- if at all, when a disaster happens.

Disasters, accidents, and crime happen every day everywhere- and people still pay little attention to any of it after its off the evening news.

We Americans are victims of our own success

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
So does that mean that 74% of social media using sheep will die off within the first 24 hrs?

Reactions: XR750
1 - 20 of 20 Posts