Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I AM LOOKING TO PUT A BETTER BUG-OUT BAG TOGETHER THIS IS A LIST FROM WIKI THAT I FOUND ADD OR TAKE AWAY ANYTHING IN HERE?
KEEP IN MIND I WOULD HAVE TO TRAVEL LESS THEN 100MILES TO MY DESTINATION WHEN "SHTF" I BOUGHT A PRE MADE BUG-OUT BAG OF SORTS IT IS A JOKE SO I AM NOW MAKEING A NEW ONE

• A first aid kit
• Fire starting tool (e.g., matches, ferrocerium rod, lighter, etc.)
• A disaster plan including location of emergency centers, rallying points, possible evacuation routes etc
• Professional emergency literature explaining what to do in various types of disaster, studied and understood before the actual disaster but kept for reference
• Maps and travel information
• Standard camping equipment, including sanitation supplies
• Weather appropriate clothing (e.g., poncho, headwear, gloves, etc.)
• Bedding items such as sleeping bags and blankets
• Enough medicine to last an extended evacuation period
• Medical records
• Pet, child, and elderly care needs
• Battery or crank operated Radio.
• Lighting (battery or crank operated flashlight, glow sticks).
• Firearms and appropriate ammunition
• Cash and change, as electronic banking transactions may not be available during the initial period following an emergency or evacuation
• Fixed-blade and folding knife
• Duct Tape and rope/para-cord
• Plastic tarps for shelter and water collection
• Slingshot, pellet gun, blowgun or other small game hunting equipment
AND ENOUGH WATER FOR ME AND FAM FOR 72 HRS
AR-15 rock river .223 / 50 rds
.38 stub nose /50 rds (please dont say more ammo i have to hike a bit of a distance and i have extra at that location )

PLEASE NOTE THINGS YOU WILL TAKE OR ADD IN YOURPOST AND REASON PLEASE!! :D:

·
Registered
461 Posts
when i first started i read a lot of list. I would scratch the whole list thing and use it for ideas only. The best way to figure out what you need is to take that 72hr and make it a trip. pack what you think you will need. when you get out there you will find out in the first day what was a good idea to bring and what was a total waste of space and weight.
If you have to travel weight is everything. dont listen to these guys that say they will be bringing 3 guns and 3k rds of ammo because they are more than likely armchair survivalist.

My best advice would be to take the bag you have and get out in the woods for a couple of nights. bring a pen and take notes. you will learn a lot about yourself.

If you plan to travel 100 miles that is a long ways. I see you had no mention as to what type of clothing or more important what type of shoes/boots you will have. take the weekend pack a bag and head out. I promise you that you will return a completely different man with a whole new way of thinking.

Also another thing i wanted to say is that when on the move or hiking the human body can burn up to 3,000 calories or more in a few hours and that is on the low end. if in rough terrain with a large pack that can be done in an hour or less so be very careful what food to bring. same goes for water.

·
Registered
461 Posts
when i first started i read a lot of list. I would scratch the whole list thing and use it for ideas only. The best way to figure out what you need is to take that 72hr and make it a trip. pack what you think you will need. when you get out there you will find out in the first day what was a good idea to bring and what was a total waste of space and weight.
If you have to travel weight is everything. dont listen to these guys that say they will be bringing 3 guns and 3k rds of ammo because they are more than likely armchair survivalist.

My best advice would be to take the bag you have and get out in the woods for a couple of nights. bring a pen and take notes. you will learn a lot about yourself.

If you plan to travel 100 miles that is a long ways. I see you had no mention as to what type of clothing or more important what type of shoes/boots you will have. take the weekend pack a bag and head out. I promise you that you will return a completely different man with a whole new way of thinking.

Also another thing i wanted to say is that when on the move or hiking the human body can burn up to 3,000 calories or more in a few hours and that is on the low end. if in rough terrain with a large pack that can be done in an hour or less so be very careful what food to bring. same goes for water.

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with Denver Native on trying out your pack. In my younger days I backpack a LOT. Some were 50 miles, some were 70 miles and a few 100 mile trips. It's not so easy as you might think.

You WILL learn what you need and don't need. Another thing that you will find out is that a BOB won't carry nearly enough food. When your motoring around using foot power your going to burn a lot of calories.

The solution? Easy. Find the best routes, hike them in portions, adjust your BOB as needed. When you get it all figured out start planting cache's along the way.

And as a bonus you get to go hiking in the woods! Can't beat that.

One other thing....The CAPS lock. We can all read and it's irritating.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Justin,

By the time you've unpacked and re-packed your kit a couple of hundred times, you'll begin to get a feel for how you really want it packed and what needs to be inside of it if needed. There will be times when it will grow too large and then there will be times when it will grow too small. Never let it grow too heavy and never let it grow too light. Learn to use everything inside by practicing practicing practicing and, when you have done all of that - then you'll know exactly what is supposed to be inside and what is not - what works for your skill level and what does not.

These two particular line items ....

• Wire for binding and animal traps

.... should be excluded from your list imho, and replaced with a good firearm of some sort; In your case, a small inexpensive rifle, probably a 22LR of your choosing. It is obvious that you know nothing about utilizing any of the items in those two line-items to harvest game for anyh length of time. Most of us have never killed an edible animal with a slingshot, blowgun, pellet gun, nor have we used wire to set snares or build traps. So they would add nothing, no value whatsoever, to your needs post shtf.

·
Registered
22,932 Posts
These two particular line items ....

• Wire for binding and animal traps

.... should be excluded from your list imho, and replaced with a good firearm of some sort; In your case, a small inexpensive rifle, probably a 22LR of your choosing. It is obvious that you know nothing about utilizing any of the items in those two line-items to harvest game for anyh length of time. Most of us have never killed an edible animal with a slingshot, blowgun, pellet gun, nor have we used wire to set snares or build traps. So they would add nothing, no value whatsoever, to your needs post shtf.
I have to agree, if only because this will not only be more effective all other things being equal, but unless you have experience with the above two, its not gonna be easy to learn when the pressure is on. If you're cramped for space, substitute an accurate 22 pistol, like a Ruger Mark III or Browning Buckmark.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats a great idea. I am bringing 1 ar-15 rockriver .223 and a stub nose .38
50 rounds of each i dont like to draw unwanted attion so i havent brought them on a hike yet i also tried to hike 77.6 ( thats the distance to where i need togo ) miles on a trail that i never finished in three days i may need to up my bob to 5 days thats how long it took me on a hikeing trail -1 kid and a wife i havent tried that with them as they would not do it unless they had too. This is my problem too how long would it take with them ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats a grat idea

i'm going to have to agree with denver native on trying out your pack. In my younger days i backpack a lot. Some were 50 miles, some were 70 miles and a few 100 mile trips. It's not so easy as you might think.

You will learn what you need and don't need. Another thing that you will find out is that a bob won't carry nearly enough food. When your motoring around using foot power your going to burn a lot of calories.

The solution? Easy. Find the best routes, hike them in portions, adjust your bob as needed. When you get it all figured out start planting cache's along the way.

And as a bonus you get to go hiking in the woods! Can't beat that.

One other thing....the caps lock. We can all read and it's irritating.
but most of that hike would be through dense urban area's that would be hard to cache items without being discovered i will try it in car to see if any spot that i could i will post on this later

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I bought a sling shot and a bunch of ammo for fun.... going to try it out and see how I do...... and then decide whether to purchase more ammo for it... I would not use it for game unless in a severe situation but it might be a good way to irritate people and distract them if they should be looking for you....... send a pellt pinging off a tree or rock behind them whil ethey walk towards you will get them searching other areas.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
now thats just funny and not a shamby idea

I bought a sling shot and a bunch of ammo for fun.... going to try it out and see how I do...... and then decide whether to purchase more ammo for it... I would not use it for game unless in a severe situation but it might be a good way to irritate people and distract them if they should be looking for you....... send a pellt pinging off a tree or rock behind them whil ethey walk towards you will get them searching other areas.....
i have a wrist rocket i got from wal-mart and a few ball bearings

·
1 riot 1 ranger
2,057 Posts
I would not want to go where there were a lot of people or obvious evacuation routes. Your first road block could be your last. If you know where you are going get country maps between where you are and where you are going and take the goat trails to get there. Don't carry much water, stay near the creeks. imho

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
but most of that hike would be through dense urban area's that would be hard to cache items without being discovered i will try it in car to see if any spot that i could i will post on this later
Yea, that would be a problem. And not one that I would really know how to deal with except to get out of that area rapidly. Your right about not wanting to draw attention by flashing around an AR. It's a very bad idea in an urban area. Try using something of equivillent weight and relative size?

·
1 riot 1 ranger
2,057 Posts
Justin,

pellet gun...

.... should be excluded from your list imho, and replaced with a good firearm of some sort; In your case, a small inexpensive rifle, probably a 22LR of your choosing.

I say inclued an "expensive" BB/pellet rifle. When you kill that squirrel you don't want everyone within gun shot range coming to help you eat your kill. I kill squirrels with a BB rifle all the time. 1500 BB's to a bottle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thats a issue i have

I would not want to go where there were a lot of people or obvious evacuation routes. Your first road block could be your last. If you know where you are going get country maps between where you are and where you are going and take the goat trails to get there. Don't carry much water, stay near the creeks. imho
i live in downtown tampa to get where i need to go without useing concrete
will be diffucult

but thats why i am trying to figure out the best bug-out bag i need some urban gear after i am out of the urban parts i need wilderness gear

·
1 riot 1 ranger
2,057 Posts
i live in downtown tampa to get where i need to go without useing concrete
will be diffucult

but thats why i am trying to figure out the best bug-out bag i need some urban gear after i am out of the urban parts i need wilderness gear

It doesn't take long to get to the saw grass in Fla. cities. I lived in Fla. for twelve years and have been over every inch of that State. A hand fishing line and some bait would be useful and a snake bite kit and water purification tablets, lol. Are you trying to get out of that State? Hopefully so... I hate Fla. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.