Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A short time ago I purchased a can of Russian mil surplus 7.62x54R 145 g FMJ steel core ammo that shots well but is corrosive.

I also use 180g SP Winchester branded 7.62x54R that isn't. Too bad it's about twice as expensive.

Does anyone know of any NON- corrosive mil surplus 7.62x54R?

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I don't think there is any on the market.
It really isn't that hard to clean out really.
There is Olympic(Greek) and Privi Partizan(Czech) ammo that are brass case and non corrosive.
It's cheaper than the Winchester but still at least 50¢ a round.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Good Lord milsurp ammo is going up. Or rather the dollar is losing it's purchasing power. So very thankful I stocked up when I did. Wish those new to the game still could, I feel for them.

Olympic ought to be called Special Olympic, I really dislike it. YMMV of course.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Wolf makes some cheaper non corrosive stuff too. I think Silver bear is non corrosive...but not totally sure.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Treat it all like it is corrosive. you never know what a foreign manufacturer thinks is non corrosive. You are right about the cost of the americn made stuff. If you shoot a tokarev rifle you will have to watch the ammo. It feeds some better than others. the Czech made stuff with the siver band on the boxes has worked well in mine.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Wolf makes some cheaper non corrosive stuff too. I think Silver bear is non corrosive...but not totally sure.
Privi Partizan makes the Wolf Gold who repackages then jacks up the prices a few cents a round.
I think you are right about the BB being non-corrosive.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I shoot around 600 rounds of corrosive ammo a year in both my Nagants with no trouble at all. The trick is to clean it with an amonia/water mix to neutralize the salts in the powder residue. I just use a few swabs of windex down the barrel then remove and wipe the bolt with the same mix. once I have swabbed it with windex then I clean it with regular hoppies #9 followed by a lite oiling and I'm done. I used to stress out like crazy about corrosive ammo till I learned about the amonia trick.
BTW even if they say it's "non corrosive treat it like it is if it is berdan primed.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
I think all the milsup 7.62 is corrosive. My SKS barrel is positively black with it after only putting two clips down range:mad:.
I find if in a addition to using Breakfree and Cleanbore on your patches, spraying some patches with Windex and running them through really helps.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I shoot around 600 rounds of corrosive ammo a year in both my Nagants with no trouble at all. The trick is to clean it with an amonia/water mix to neutralize the salts in the powder residue. I just use a few swabs of windex down the barrel then remove and wipe the bolt with the same mix. once I have swabbed it with windex then I clean it with regular hoppies #9 followed by a lite oiling and I'm done. I used to stress out like crazy about corrosive ammo till I learned about the amonia trick.
BTW even if they say it's "non corrosive treat it like it is if it is berdan primed.
What you are doing obviously works. Id say not just Berdan primed but ANY ammo that isnt from a NATO country.

You cant really "neutralize" a salt... when you neutralize an acid or base, a salt plus water is what you get, and exactly what you dont want in the barrel.

The way to look at it is that salt attracts water and water plus steel equals rust rust rust.

Since the salt in the barrel wants water so bad, GIVE it some. Lots. Hot water is better than cold. Salt dissolves, and out it goes.

Windex can contain vinegar or ammonia. One is acid, the other is base, neither affects the salt.

Just make sure you use plenty water, then dry and oil.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I think the ammonia just helps break up the salts in the priming compound that are so hygroscopic to begin with.
It works, trust me; don't know how but it does.
I used to have to clean my dads Garands out when we went shooting.....the old fashion way with hot soapy water.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The windex works like a charm, I have boxwr primed ammo but I don't even use it because of how well I group with the 147 grain silver tip milsurp ammo. I even have reloading dies for my boxer primed stuff just in case things really dry up some day.

·
STALKER Unit Mobile
183 Posts
Also if you use Ammonia and solvent seven it works really well for cleaning the build up of Salts in the bolt and actually nooks and cranies but jeez you have ot realy lub the gun afterward it strips about everything out of it. All the same it works wonders for my Mosin after competitions

1 - 14 of 14 Posts