Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna start buying some bulk ammo. FMJ mostly. Looking for 5.56 but 7.62 mostly. What round is used the most by the military? Is it the M80? I think Im wrong in that guess.

Thanks ya'll!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
The US goverment uses mostly 5.56, 308 is not as cheep.

IMHO: 7.62 x 39 is the way to go, but I admit I have two or three rounds of 7.62x54 stashed around;)

·
Learning
6,730 Posts
m80 is one of the names for military 7.62x51 and m193 or xm193 is the name of 55gr 5.56.

Really anything .223/5.56 is usually good to go. As is almost any .308/7.62.

The better question might be this: find a link to the ammo you want to buy in bulk and we will tell you if it is decent and a good price.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
The best way to find out ammo prices is to go to a number of sites, or to use ammo search engines. However, internet based sales is not always a guarantee of "best" prices. And the definition of bulk also comes into play.

For example, 5.56- there are really two popular weights used commonly; 55 grain and 62 grain. Each type has different prices. Here, 62 grain green tips (m855 ) is about 41.5¢ a round ( and going up because it's m855 ). 55 grain m193 (fmj ) is running around 33¢ a round. These are not internet prices, but prices at a LGS. Either Federal or American Eagle is what I usually get. There may be cheaper 5.56 or there may be more expensive, but for bulk/training stock...
.308 / 7.62x51 is a different deal. Again, I have brands I prefer; online, it's about 70 to 75¢ a round for the stuff I like. However, I also wander down to walmart every now and again to pick up ZQ1 7.62x51 for about 50 ¢ a round. Will you always get the same price ? Nope. I pay taxes locally; as opposed to shipping when online. Is the ZQ1 bulk ? Nope- 20 round boxes. But at times, I walk off with 20 to 25 boxes .. At $10 a box, 20 boxes is still a pretty penny.

In some parts of the country, others might be happy paying 60¢ a round for 5.56 and towards a $1 a round for .308.

Disappointments. Every now and then, you will feel ashamed because you bought at too high a price.. That's life; stick it in the pile and consider it a learning point. Happens to everyone that has a stockpile.

Quality vs cheap. Probably not as much difference as others might suggest; however, to a degree, I'd rather have something that I know shoots good enough, than to buy a whole bunch of stuff that does not shoot in my guns. Buy a small amount, shoot a bit of it in your gun, test for both cycling & acceptable accuracy, and then decide if you want more of it.

To me, 5.56 is more comfortable shooting than .308. I can shoot way more 5.56 in a sitting than I can .308.. Therefore, my pile of 5.56 is larger than my pile of .308

Edit: I might add that I prefer to buy locally where I can pick up & take it with me. I only deal with a few selected online places- because frankly, I'm not going to pass my credit card info to some fly-by-night ammo store that takes your money- and then orders your ammo- and ships it to you when they finally receive it.. Of course, another thing that seems to happen with some online stores- you place your order, then are told that it will be weeks or months till it ships; and then after a while, the order gets cancelled for whatever reason ( sometimes, I think that the store found they could sell it at a higher price.. )... Besides, I don't want to make smallish orders out to a number of places; when I want bulk, I don't want to buy it 50 rounds at a time.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I wanna start buying some bulk ammo. FMJ mostly. Looking for 5.56 but 7.62 mostly. What round is used the most by the military? Is it the M80? I think Im wrong in that guess.

Thanks ya'll!
then just by what you find.
what the military uses should have little to no effect to what you use. they use ball ammo so theres no special voodoo magic in their bullets.
if its reliable and accurate enough then its good to go.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Here ya go man:
http://www.223reloads.com/home/223-5-56-info/223-5-56-reloading/duplicatingnato

This site is used primarily to reproduce the military loads, but has a complete listing of all 5.56 and 7.62 loads the mil uses.

I tried to cut and paste the data here but the format is not compatible.

In short:
5.56mm

M193 ball, M195 grenade, M196 tracer, M855 ball (currently being reviewed for ban by the ATF), M856 tracer, M995 Armor piercing, Mk262 mod 1

7.62mm

M59 ball, M61 armor piercing, M62 tracer, M64 grenade, M118 Special ball (old sniper ammo), M118 Long range (current sniper ammo), M276 tracer, M993 Armor piercing, M852 precision ammo

·
Banned
195 Posts
YOu'll be way, way ahead to reload your own ammo, if you can find brass at your local range and if you buy components in bulk. By bulk, I mean 15 lbs of powder at a time, (for rifle rds, especially, since they use so much more powder than handgun rds) 10,000 primers (or more) at a time, and 'blemished" or pulled "ball" bullets from shotgun news advertisers. It takes a $200 (the big one) Lee progressive loader to be able to load enough rds per hour (ie, 500 or so) to make it worth your time to load.

·
Banned
195 Posts
Y0u can save 15c per rd on 223, quite often and 25c per rd for 308. At 500 rds per hour, that's worth doing, even if you only shoot and reload 1000 rds per year. The single station presses just aren't worth your time, but sometimes, such a press and a set of dies in a caliber you can use, loading scale, etc, can be had on craigslist or Ebay for $50 or so. If the $200 difference between such a setup and a lee progressive means a lot to you, you definitely need to be reloading, not buying factory ammo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts