Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you use in your SHTF AK or SKS hollow point, soft point or ball. I am buying wolf hollow point ammo and keep at least four mags loaded with it all the time.

·
Author, prepper, father
Done
6,915 Posts
I would love to see some hydrological and ballistic gel tests with the hollow points, frankly their channels look too small to be effective in causing mushrooming but I could be wrong!

On their first test, it went all the way to the end of the second block, the second test is here:

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
HP and Ball in some of my SHTF mags since I don't have to follow any Geneva Convention BS. Ball is mixed in there in case they are wearing protective gear or in vehicle. Also have a lot of soft point since I do use my AR for deer hunting from time to time.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Wolf hollow point seldom mushrooms from my experience. More often than not though it will somewhat tumble and flatten out. If close enough and the velocity is still high enough, I have found them to fragment quite reliably. I aquired a stock pile a while back and hoard them now as I cannot obtain them in Canada. Good SHTF ammo IMO.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I have both, mostly because it was the cheapest at the time. The HP stuff I have seen in 7.62x39, probably isn't going to act much different than ball. Just can't see that doing much expanding. Soft point you might get better results, but never seen SP in bulk.

The SP might not feed so reliably tho, not an issue when hunting, but bad when your life depends on it. I have found the HP I have to occasionally jam on the feed ramp of my AK, my SKS doesn't seem to care. So I use the HP for my SKS and the ball for the AK.

·
BulletMaster
1,387 Posts
The biggest problem with getting reliable expansion with Russian HP or SP ammo is the problem with the steel jacket bullet. Steel just doesn't react the same as copper cup lead core hunting bullets do at the same muzzle velocity.

I don't put much faith in the effects of the different bullet styles at X39 velocities out past 100 yds. and thats iffy at best sometimes they work and sometimes not. I try and keep my shots as close as possible when shooting Russian ammo other than FMJ to get the max. affect.

shot 1 FMJ
shot 2 Wolf HP
shot 3 MC 8m3
shot 4 vmax

If you want consistent expansion with HP and SP ammo your pretty much going to have to Mexican Match Russian ammo,reload new or buy commercial mfg. x39 ammo loaded copper cup bullets.

Wolf 154 gr. SP recovered from deer shot front to back at 80 yds.

http://sites.google.com/site/factoryammotests/home/centerfire-rifle/7-62x39mm-soviet

·
Registered
124 Posts
I shot a deer a couple years ago with a wolf hollow point. I was using a CZ 527 from about 150 maybe a little further. The bullet passed through and appeared not to have expanded.

·
Grumpy old man
145 Posts
Ball. I'm partial to Yugo M67. A lot of info is available if you Google "Yugo m67 ammo review". It's still around 20 cents on strippers.
vorpal

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Dont think it really matters much with the Wolf HP and FMJ. I'd hope the HP would fragment or at least sprawl from deformation... I load Wolf HP for that regard. For long range out of the RPK I use Golden Tiger FMJ as they are boat tailed. Have some 154gr JSP but dont really expect the lead to open up. If they were 123 gr American SP I'd have more trust... I dont want to spend the money. Any rate, its still a 7.62x39!!!!!

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,497 Posts
The Wolf hollow point seldom mushrooms from my experience. More often than not though it will somewhat tumble and flatten out. If close enough and the velocity is still high enough, I have found them to fragment quite reliably. I aquired a stock pile a while back and hoard them now as I cannot obtain them in Canada. Good SHTF ammo IMO.
That's a common experience with Wolf HP. And the softpoint loads aren't much better. The lead tip just breaks off or flattens without the bullet actually expanding.

Their Military Classic HPs will fragment fairly reliably though. That's my preferred load. But some guns choke on HP, so it's always a good idea to put a LOT of them through the gun before you trust your life to them, just to make absolutely sure that they are reliable in that particular gun.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have killed deer with FMJ heart lung shots and it killed the deer just fine. I never recovered a bullet as all shots were a full pass. All of the deer took less than 10 yards to expire. After seeing your opinions I think my next few cases will be whatever is cheapest with a good reputation. I am presently well stocked on Wolf Classic hollow points.

·
Registered
783 Posts
What exactly is the difference between the Wolf Black Box stuff and the Wolf Military Classic anyways?
I've always wondered that.
I've only shot the black box stuff.

·
BulletMaster
1,387 Posts
What exactly is the difference between the Wolf Black Box stuff and the Wolf Military Classic anyways?
I've always wondered that.
I've only shot the black box stuff.
Wolf Black Box.
7.62x39 122 gr. Bimetal, Copper FMJ & HP Berdan Primed 2396 fps.

Wolf MC Mil-Spec sealant around case mouth.
7.62x39 124 gr Bimetal FMJ,SP & HP Berdan Primed 2330 fps

·
Registered
783 Posts
Wolf Black Box.
7.62x39 122 gr. Bimetal, Copper FMJ & HP Berdan Primed 2396 fps.

Wolf MC Mil-Spec sealant around case mouth.
7.62x39 124 gr Bimetal FMJ,SP & HP Berdan Primed 2330 fps
So the black box has a higher velocity, and that's it?...and a 2gr diff?
My black box rounds all have red sealant round the bullet/case connection and the primer too.

Is one any more accurate than the other, or about the same?

·
Long Trump
4,448 Posts
That's a common experience with Wolf HP. And the softpoint loads aren't much better. The lead tip just breaks off or flattens without the bullet actually expanding.

Their Military Classic HPs will fragment fairly reliably though. That's my preferred load. But some guns choke on HP, so it's always a good idea to put a LOT of them through the gun before you trust your life to them, just to make absolutely sure that they are reliable in that particular gun.
A few years ago I tested Wolf FMJ, HP and Military Classic HP in boxes of phone books at 25 yards.

Black box FMJ and HP both penetrated about 6 inches before tumbling and partially braking up. The HP did open up faster and but it was not great.

The Wolf Military Classic Hollow Point did much better. It opened up inches earlier, the cavity expanded faster and more uniform, and did more "in the body" damage. It broke up more than tumbled.

I use the black box FMJ and Military Classic HPs layered in my mags - FMJ for hard cover penetration and Military Classic HPs for stopping power.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I run brown bear 125 SP's, they seem to expand well in my limited testing. I have FMJ as well but my goto mags are loaded with SP's.

·
BulletMaster
1,387 Posts
So the black box has a higher velocity, and that's it?...and a 2gr diff?
My black box rounds all have red sealant round the bullet/case connection and the primer too.

Is one any more accurate than the other, or about the same?
My first and last case of Wolf BB was bought about 10 years ago when it was like $100 per K shipped,it didn't have any sealant around the bullet. It shot ok but wasn't anything special.

I pretty much stick with Bear and Golden Tiger it shoots decent groups for steel case ammo. I always advise people to try different brands of ammo in there SKS or AK to see which it prefers best.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts