Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got bored with 5.56 and only wanted one .450 so I built a pair in 7.62x39. One 16" carbine and one 10.5" pistol. Aero Precision lowers, Davidson Defense uppers. QMS trigger. I waffled between the x39 and .300BO but decided to go with the cheaper ammo, that is also shared by one of my AK's and my SKS. After about an hour at the range spent just fighting that carbine to get it to run I started to regret the decision. But then I decided to embrace the challenge.

What I found in my, ahem, troubleshooting.

First, you absolutely have to find reliable magazines and a good silicon based lubricant for them. There aren't many choices but I found the CPD seem to slide better than ASC. Also, probably not a great idea to go beyond 20 rounds. For starters, I think the pronounced curve of the 30 round mags looks goofy. Second, none of the 30 round mags I tried could be made to function reliably. Nothing helped. With the 10 and 20 round mags, it also helped to smooth out all the corners on the followers with a small file and some sand paper. I also ground a smooth curve to the front lip of the magazine body to prevent the case mouth from hanging up as it was chambered. That last made a huge different in feeding.

Second consideration is ammo. Once I got the mag issues sorted out, both would run generic steel cased ammo, Tula, RAS and WOLF without issue. The accuracy however, was not spectacular. a little better than my AK, not as good as the SKS and nowhere as good as the higher end AR's in 5.56. I went ahead and purchased several hundred rounds of PPU FMJ, some Red Army Elite FMJ, a couple boxes of Hornady match and a couple boxes of Fiocchi and the groups tightened up to a little under 2 inches at 100 off the bench. These last examples are boxer primed brass that I specifically bought to be able to handload, but unfortunately reloading for the x39 has become cost prohibitive since .311 projectiles are more expensive than a complete mil-surp round. Stupid.

In any case, I hope at some point to be able to exercise my dies and dial it in a little tighter than factory with some nice handloads.

So the moral of this story is that you can get an AR chambered in 7.62x39 to function reliably and hit consistently.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Granted, I don't shoot it as much as I would like to but I tinker toyed together a PSA AR in the Rusky round. So far it's been quite reliable and at least as accurate as I am.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
I had one previously that took ar mags. I used c product 10, 20, and 28 rounders and they all functioned flawlessly. This was in a midway USA ar stoner upper with an Anderson lower.

I have since sold it and went with the psa ks47 since I have mags and ammo already for my ak and my two sks that take ak mags.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts

First, you absolutely have to find reliable magazines and a good silicon based lubricant for them. There aren't many choices but I found the CPD seem to slide better than ASC. Also, probably not a great idea to go beyond 20 rounds. For starters, I think the pronounced curve of the 30 round mags looks goofy. Second, none of the 30 round mags I tried could be made to function reliably. Nothing helped. With the 10 and 20 round mags, it also helped to smooth out all the corners on the followers with a small file and some sand paper. I also ground a smooth curve to the front lip of the magazine body to prevent the case mouth from hanging up as it was chambered. That last made a huge different in feeding.
Yes, :thumb:

I have eight ASC 30rds and all eight do not work!!! ASC replaced them once and the replacements Do Not Work. It took ASC almost six weeks to get the replacements to me. In that time spam of the six weeks I got CPD 20rds and have not had a issue with any of the CPD-20's.

I am getting a little better then your 2"@100 but it is a 16" Armilite factory unit with a 2 stage trigger.

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
My 7.62x39 ARs are my favorite Ars. I've never once had a failure with them.

Two key points. Only use CPD mags, 28 or 30 rounders both work fine, I have not needed to modify them. Never once had a mis-feed. I can't even say that of my 556 Ars.

Use an enhanced firing pin.

Use an h3 buffer. This is important to prevent too much stress on your extractor.

I get 2moa with R3D Army standard steel case ammo.

·
Retired Army
5,529 Posts
My BCA upper/PSA lower with ASC 20 rounders hasn't failed me yet. Not one hiccup even with any Tula/Wolf/Miltary Surplus etc ammo. I don't like/own any 30 round (AR 7.62x39) magazines.

Al

Reactions: Bravo32

·
Banned
11,365 Posts
Mine feeds fine with the 28 round CPD mags, other than some hard primers causing issues once in a while, it was great.
Switched to a heavier spring, haven't had any issues since.

It's a DIY unit built using cheap stuff: BCA barrel, Davidson upper, $90 BCG. But I built it to be a buddy for the 4 SKS's and the AK and the Mauser, so if it stops, no biggie.

·
Registered
211 Posts
No such thing as C-Product magazines any longer, but there are Duramags, which work great. ASC also work for me but needs some tweaking/bending of the top feed lips.
A key to having a reliably cycling and accurate AR in 7.62x39 is to start off by buying pieces from brands that actually make a quality product. KAK makes excellent barrels and BCG for AR's in 7.62x39. They build both with shooting steel case Russian ammo in mind. Even their value line barrels can produce good accuracy. I consistently get 1.5 MOA at 100 yards.

·
MortarMaggot
3,280 Posts
No such thing as C-Product magazines any longer, but there are Duramags, which work great. ASC also work for me but needs some tweaking/bending of the top feed lips.
A key to having a reliably cycling and accurate AR in 7.62x39 is to start off by buying pieces from brands that actually make a quality product. KAK makes excellent barrels and BCG for AR's in 7.62x39. They build both with shooting steel case Russian ammo in mind. Even their value line barrels can produce good accuracy. I consistently get 1.5 MOA at 100 yards.
Huh? :confused:

https://www.classicfirearms.com/accessories/mags-drums/c_products/

https://www.brownells.com/manufacturers/c-products/index.htm

https://www.primaryarms.com/Brand+C-Products/MCategories+Magazines

https://themagshack.com/product-brands/c-products/

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
My MAK-90 gobbles 7.62x39 without issue.

My AR's in 300BLK do the same.

Why would I want the aggravation of trying to make an AR in 7.62x39 work reliably? Especially if the weapons are sensitive to various available magazines....just don't see the need.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Duramags are CProducts. That is a marketing name change. Here is their website. If you look in the lower right corner, you will find: "Proudly Manufactured by: CProdusts Defense" They are still in Bradenton, FL at the same factory.

https://dura-mag.com/

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
My MAK-90 gobbles 7.62x39 without issue.

My AR's in 300BLK do the same.

Why would I want the aggravation of trying to make an AR in 7.62x39 work reliably? Especially if the weapons are sensitive to various available magazines....just don't see the need.
1, there is no real aggravation as long as you just use the right parts from the start. The only people with problems are ones that use the wrong components, just like with any other gun. 556 ARs won't run either with the wrong buffer weights, gas systems, etc.

2, 7.62x39 is like 300blk...at a fraction of the cost and with much greater availability. If 300blk every becomes as cheap and plentiful as x39 I'll gladly swap barrel and bolts on my x39 ARs and switch over.

I should also note, the only difference between CPD 28 rounders and 30 rounders is that the 28 rounders fit in 556 magazine pouches. Reliability is the same.

This is by far my favorite AR:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
1, there is no real aggravation as long as you just use the right parts from the start. The only people with problems are ones that use the wrong components, just like with any other gun. 556 ARs won't run either with the wrong buffer weights, gas systems, etc.

2, 7.62x39 is like 300blk...at a fraction of the cost and with much greater availability. If 300blk every becomes as cheap and plentiful as x39 I'll gladly swap barrel and bolts on my x39 ARs and switch over.

I should also note, the only difference between CPD 28 rounders and 30 rounders is that the 28 rounders fit in 556 magazine pouches. Reliability is the same.

This is by far my favorite AR:

300 BLK is not expensive to shoot for me. I reload both for 300 BLK and 7.62x39. Actually 7.62x39 is MORE expensive to load your own and has a very limited selection of projectiles due to the larger .310" diameter as compared to 300 BLK's .308" diameter. Projectile sale promotions can of course be found in both sizes but .308" is more commonly found on sale. And, if one owns another 30 caliber rifle using .308" diameter projectiles...even better as they can be used in the other platforms. And I've purchased a GOOD quantity of 147 grain FMJ military production surplus projectiles for nearly as low in price as 5.56...prior to the recent shortages.

Brass is easy to form for 300 BLK using 5.56 cases if desired and is truly the easiest to load bottle necked rifle round I've used. 7.62x39 isn't difficult but just not quite as effortless...and 7.62x39 brass is WAY more expensive and not as available as 300 BLK.

300 BLK magazines can be used without alteration in 5.56 weapons. Not so with AK magazines.

AR upper and lower receivers in 300 BLK use ALL the same parts as a 5.56 weapon except barrel. Not so with 7.62x39 which needs specific BCG's and lowers for a platform never sized or intended to run the larger rim size or magazine design needed.

300 BLK weapons can fire subsonic and supersonic projectiles with ease because of the very wide array of projectile weights available.

If you only shoot steel cased imported rounds in 7.62x39 then yes savings are there. However, I like to be able to reload for all the calibers I shoot. The expense and effort to run an AR in 7.62x39 just doesn't make sense...to me.

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
Yeah, one of my favorite things about x39 is that I don't have to reload it. With loaded ammo running just a few cents more per round than what it costs to reload 556 I can let the "brass" fall without guilt. I end up shooting a lot more of it as a result than my brass ammo.

Also, you are wrong about about parts compatibility. The only x39 specific parts you need are barrel, bolt (with any standard bolt carrier) longer firing pin if you want to shoot steel case, and magazines. You use the same lower, and upper receiver as any other AR.

But like I said, I accept if time and money are not a factor 300blk is better and if the logistics ever change I can convert with minimal effort and cost, but I think that is unlikely as 300blk probably doesn't have enough case taper to be reliable with steel cased ammo and so will always have to use expensive brass.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Yeah, one of my favorite things about x39 is that I don't have to reload it. With loaded ammo running just a few cents more per round than what it costs to reload 556 I can let the "brass" fall without guilt. I end up shooting a lot more of it as a result than my brass ammo.

Also, you are wrong about about parts compatibility. The only x39 specific parts you need are barrel, bolt (with any standard bolt carrier) longer firing pin if you want to shoot steel case, and magazines. You use the same lower, and upper receiver as any other AR.

But like I said, I accept if time and money are not a factor 300blk is better and if the logistics ever change I can convert with minimal effort and cost, but I think that is unlikely as 300blk probably doesn't have enough case taper to be reliable with steel cased ammo and so will always have to use expensive brass.
I don't HAVE to reload 7.62x39 either....now. If politics change in this country, kiss imported ammo goodbye. I'm set to reload it just in case I need to rely on that. And it is very easy to reload for except for non standard .310" diameter projectiles. AR bolt rims are necessarily thinned to accommodate x39 cases. This seems to be an issue with failing bolts...at least when I looked a few years ago.

Time...not a factor as it takes 6-10 minutes to load a box of 50 rounds. Same with 5.56.

Money isn't a factor as far as reloading 300 BLK is concerned. A 50% cost savings by reloading is pretty normal over shooting only factory ammo. Subsonic cast projectiles save even more.

Sharing components with other calibers also means streamlined supply and versatility. I shoot .308 (projectiles), 5.56 (primers), .357 and .44 mag (powder) so components used for 300 BLK are also used elsewhere if I desire.

I wouldn't want to shoot steel case 300 BLK so that isn't even a consideration. And at .80 a round, I'd pass. https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...0-aac-blackout-145-gr-full-metal-jacket-20box

Brass cases are reusable many times so as long as pressures are under maximum, case life is greatly extended.

7.62x39 in an AR makes no sense to me. To you it obviously does....to each their own which is a nice thing about this country and firearms...so far.

·
MortarMaggot
3,280 Posts
I don't HAVE to reload 7.62x39 either....now. If politics change in this country, kiss imported ammo goodbye. I'm set to reload it just in case I need to rely on that. And it is very easy to reload for except for non standard .310" diameter projectiles. AR bolt rims are necessarily thinned to accommodate x39 cases. This seems to be an issue with failing bolts...at least when I looked a few years ago.

Time...not a factor as it takes 6-10 minutes to load a box of 50 rounds. Same with 5.56.

Money isn't a factor as far as reloading 300 BLK is concerned. A 50% cost savings by reloading is pretty normal over shooting only factory ammo. Subsonic cast projectiles save even more.

Sharing components with other calibers also means streamlined supply and versatility. I shoot .308 (projectiles), 5.56 (primers), .357 and .44 mag (powder) so components used for 300 BLK are also used elsewhere if I desire.

I wouldn't want to shoot steel case 300 BLK so that isn't even a consideration. And at .80 a round, I'd pass. https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...0-aac-blackout-145-gr-full-metal-jacket-20box

Brass cases are reusable many times so as long as pressures are under maximum, case life is greatly extended.

7.62x39 in an AR makes no sense to me. To you it obviously does....to each their own which is a nice thing about this country and firearms...so far.

I just got some Sig 125gr FMJ brass cased in 300BLK for $15/box w/ free shipping on orders over $100. I wasn't super crazy on the price for it in brass cased, but for steel? :eek: As I've only been into 300BLK for a couple years my stocks aren't as high as a lot of other calibers I shoot, so I went ahead & ordered some. When I first got into it prices were starting to ease down, it wasn't hard to find decent brass case factory ammo for ~50cpr. It was gradually coming down & then when they started getting steel case it came down some more, then the plandemic hit. :mad: I wasn't planning on buying a bunch of steel cased ammo, but it usually is good in that it causes brass cased ammo to come down a bit too & helps keep it in stock a bit longer as lots of people will buy the steel instead of the brass.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts