Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Herter's ammo? Cabela's has 500 rounds for $130 and I was wondering if I should get some. I've never heard of it, so thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I haven't used it, but have been told it's wolf ammo.

If you do not mind laquered cases, give golden tiger a try. Best accuracy and highest velocity. I have 4 good shooting SKS's, all but 1 is the prefered import ammo. The other 1 is a very close tie with wolf. No feed issues or failure to fire.

I bought a tin of wolf over the summer. I was getting 20% misfire out of the case. It seemed every one had a really deep primer pocket in the steel case. Last case of wolf I bought...... I am assuming it was a tooling flaw on the case forming production line. I'm sure many ammo manufacturers have let their dies and press wear get a little looser from the ammo run lately.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I'm also a big fan of Golden Tiger, and this latest deal seems to be the best around. A 1000 rd. case for $195. :thumb:
http://www.okammocenter.com//product_info.php?cPath=2_20&products_id=357

BTW, if it matters, the recent stuff that I got from both Brown Bear and Wolf had no sealant around the primer or projectile, and some of the photo's I'm seeing show this now.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I'm also a big fan of Golden Tiger, and this latest deal seems to be the best around. A 1000 rd. case for $195. :thumb:

BTW, if it matters, the recent stuff that I got from both Brown Bear and Wolf had no sealant around the primer or projectile, and some of the photo's I'm seeing show this now.

Thanks for finding me my new favorite ammo site! Now, If they only sold 20 gauge slugs too....

·
Space Cadet
656 Posts
Has anyone used Herter's ammo? Cabela's has 500 rounds for $130 and I was wondering if I should get some. I've never heard of it, so thought I'd ask.

Thanks.
In the current ad flyer our local Cabelas is having a sale on Ulyanovsk 20rd boxes for $4.49. 25 boxes should put 500 rds at $112.25. I'm stocking up...

Like greenhorn posted, it's basically Wolf steel case.

A 1000 rd. case for $195 sounds real good though.

·
BulletMaster
1,387 Posts
Herter's ammo is owned by Cabela's it's repackaged wold blow up the pic you can see the Wolf Headstamp. I like the GT also and thats a good price,most accurate of the Russian ammo's in my SKS rifles.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I bought a tin of wolf over the summer. I was getting 20% misfire out of the case. It seemed every one had a really deep primer pocket in the steel case. Last case of wolf I bought...... I am assuming it was a tooling flaw on the case forming production line. I'm sure many ammo manufacturers have let their dies and press wear get a little looser from the ammo run lately.
well at 20% failure i'd be looking at pulling the heads to reload them at a later date into some brass cases ... then atleast its not a total loss ...

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
brown bear is lacquered steel cased, silver bear is zinc plated steel cased. (Now bown bear appears to b making Polymer steel cases, like wolf)

I use brown bear exclusively. Much more satisfied with BB than Wolf.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Wolf_7.62x39_122grn_FMJ_Poly_Performance.html

AW76239PFMJ Wolf 7.62x39 122grn FMJ Poly Performance

Item#A76239PFMJ
New Wolf brand Russian Production Commercial 7.62x39 ammunition. Features a 122grn Full Metal Jacketed Bullet, Polymer coated Steel Case, and Non-Corrosive Berdan Primer. Packaged 20rds to a box, and 1,000rds (50 boxes) to a case.

1,000rd case (50 boxes): $219.50ea

20rd box: $4.59
20rd box: (50 or more) $4.39

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Wolf_7.62x39_122grn_FMJ_Poly_Performance.html

AW76239PFMJ Wolf 7.62x39 122grn FMJ Poly Performance

Item#A76239PFMJ
New Wolf brand Russian Production Commercial 7.62x39 ammunition. Features a 122grn Full Metal Jacketed Bullet, Polymer coated Steel Case, and Non-Corrosive Berdan Primer. Packaged 20rds to a box, and 1,000rds (50 boxes) to a case.

1,000rd case (50 boxes): $219.50ea

20rd box: $4.59
20rd box: (50 or more) $4.39
I didn't think Nazi felons could own firearms. What are you buying all that ammo for?

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts

Great site, Thanks Again.

They also have a good price on S&B Czech Republic made 12 ga OO Buck. I've used this for years...good stuff! (50/rd-$30)

·
What Would Darwin Do?
985 Posts
How bad does the lacquer coated ammo gum stuff up? say after 200 rds?tough to clean. better/worse than a corrosive primer in brass?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts