Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are quite a few 7.62 x 39 ammo brands out there.
What do you shoot and WHY?

I shoot mostly Wolf Black Box because it's cheap.
But I get awesome accuracy out of Sellier & Bellot.
I tried some Golden Tiger several years ago, but honestly don't even remember the results any more.
But other than that, I've not really tried anything else.

Have you noticed any differences in accuracy among various brands in "your" rifle? More malfunctions? Less malfunctions? Etc....

I'm thinking of testing out a few more different brands just for kicks, but I'd like to start with what people seem to like rather than dislike.

Opinions?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I feed my AK a strict diet of Tula.

-Cheap
-Local
-Surprisingly accurate
-Non corrosive
-Russian ammo, for a Russian weapon

When I first had it, I tried Winchester (IIRC... Or something similar). Anyhow, it was brass cased. I had better accuracy results with the Tula. I noticed the Tula has an extra thick jacket. Perhaps that helped it seat to the rifling a bit better? Who knows... But it likes it, so that's what I feed it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feed my AK a strict diet of Tula.

-Cheap
-Local
-Surprisingly accurate
-Non corrosive
-Russian ammo, for a Russian weapon

When I first had it, I tried Winchester (IIRC... Or something similar). Anyhow, it was brass cased. I had better accuracy results with the Tula. I noticed the Tula has an extra thick jacket. Perhaps that helped it seat to the rifling a bit better? Who knows... But it likes it, so that's what I feed it.
I noticed some pretty cheap prices for Tula.
$4.xx a box isn't bad these days.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I noticed some pretty cheap prices for Tula.
$4.xx a box isn't bad these days.

Not bad at all, IF you can find it...

Been somewhat of a ... ''shortage'' around my parts, it seems.

Figured out Walmarts sched. delivery of the stuff and when I need to replenish stock, I show up in time to buy all 30 boxes they recieve :D:

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
I prefer Wolf Military Classic 124gr JHP for my commie rifles for a variety of reasons.

I also like Wolf 154gr SP and Silver Bear 125gr SP

If it wasn't so expensive i would like to have more brass-cased W-W, R-P or Federal softpoint on the shelf.

·
Calm like a bomb.
168 Posts
tulammo, period. If you can't hit anything with this stuff, you should sell your gun. practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, then practice some more. practice does not make perfect however, only perfect practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tulammo, period. If you can't hit anything with this stuff, you should sell your gun. practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, then practice some more. practice does not make perfect however, only perfect practice makes perfect.

LOL....
So should I practice too? :D:

I can hit stuff now. lol
That wasn't my point.
I was just curious if people have been having bad luck with certain brands. Great luck. Whatever.....

I realize people could be shooting an SKS, a mini-30 or an AK too. All are factors.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I do real well with golden tiger. It groups great. Some guns do not like those hollow points. I have one SKS that will jamb with them from time to time.

When it comes to hunting, I don't skimp out. That 154gr wolf doesn't expand well on deer. Sellier and Bellot soft points, silver bear soft points, or the hornady v-max works great. I reload sellier cases with H4198 and V-max heads. Works great.

Don't be so weary of american made ammo. I heard some of the older american made stuff used .308" bullets. I believe they did this because the early mini-30's were .308 barrels.

Keep in mind one thing. The commie stuff is copper washed steel jacket.

Switching to proper bullets and producing good results generally requires a good copper treatment. That copper wash steel love to copper foul a barrel quick. Seems the steel stuff can handle a dirty bore better than copper from my observations.

Treating these guns like quality hunting rifles in the bore brush department really helps out.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I shoot Monarch, because its easy to find and its cheap

·
10,548 Posts
Anything not manufactured here. The American Fodder uses the wrong Bullet, .308 instead of .311. I like Wolf just fine!:thumb:

·
BulletMaster
1,387 Posts
Most of my steel case ammo Golden Tiger FMJ and Brown Bear HP and SP is stashed back for a rainy day. When I do shoot steel case I usually go with the GT since I have a friend who is a GT distributor just down the road from me and I can get it for $200 per K delivered.

For general plinking and small game I shoot cast bullet reloads or reload my own 123 to 150 gr. soft point loads for larger game.

Batch Cost.
FMJ & SP loads

Cast plinker/small game loads gas checked 170 gr. cast bullet,Wolf primer,12.5 grs. Alliant 2400 Win. case MV 1450+ fps.

Cast load with 15.0 grs. Alliant 2400 MV 1950+ fps.

·
I stand alone!
3,216 Posts
Don't be so weary of american made ammo. I heard some of the older american made stuff used .308" bullets. I believe they did this because the early mini-30's were .308 barrels.
Anything not manufactured here. The American Fodder uses the wrong Bullet, .308 instead of .311. I like Wolf just fine!:thumb:
I've been shooting American made 7.62x39 brass cased, boxer primed ammo since they started making it and have never seen .308s loaded in them?
Everyone uses a .310 bullet.... Remington, Winchester, Hornady, Federal, Fioccchi shooting dynamics (US loaded) are all loaded with .310 and most are available as reloading components.
Corbon loads with both .308s and .310s but I consider these custom loads that need to be tailored to each weapon.

I reload with Hornady FMJs and SPs... Im going to try their SST and V-Max bullets. Again, all are .310

As to the OPs question, I have shot Winchester x39s out of the M-30 but mainly shoot Fiocchi. Good accuracy, hot, and is great brass for reloading :thumb:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I put several hundred rounds of Monarch through my SKS every weekend or so and have only had one FTF in all the time I have been shooting. I vary my shooting style so it has been very reliable. Accurate to 100yds reasonably so.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The "Bear" ammo works great. Much better than Tula & Wolf. Costs about $25 or less per 100 in bulk
Any preference amongst the BEAR types?
Brown, Silver, etc?

I'm thinking of ordering some Tula and maybe some Bear for testing so far.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been shooting American made 7.62x39 brass cased, boxer primed ammo since they started making it and have never seen .308s loaded in them?
Everyone uses a .310 bullet.... Remington, Winchester, Hornady, Federal, Fioccchi shooting dynamics (US loaded) are all loaded with .310 and most are available as reloading components.
Corbon loads with both .308s and .310s but I consider these custom loads that need to be tailored to each weapon.

I reload with Hornady FMJs and SPs... Im going to try their SST and V-Max bullets. Again, all are .310

As to the OPs question, I have shot Winchester x39s out of the M-30 but mainly shoot Fiocchi. Good accuracy, hot, and is great brass for reloading :thumb:
I don't reload. Maybe one day when I can afford it.
I'm building a new house right now and money is tight.
So I'm stuck with cheap ammo at the moment.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Most of my steel case ammo Golden Tiger FMJ and Brown Bear HP and SP is stashed back for a rainy day. When I do shoot steel case I usually go with the GT since I have a friend who is a GT distributor just down the road from me and I can get it for $200 per K delivered.
Pay attention people. GT is still lacquer coated, not polymer, and has sealed primers and bullets. Good for a long time.

·
I stand alone!
3,216 Posts
I don't reload. Maybe one day when I can afford it.
I'm building a new house right now and money is tight.
So I'm stuck with cheap ammo at the moment.
Silver Bear gets good reviews from the Mini-30 crowd but I wont shoot steel..... The fact that I can save that brass and get many reloads out of them is worth it to me!
Reloading does take a chunk to get going but of you scroung the gun shows you can pick up good equip on the cheap....
Either way SAVE YOUR BRASS :thumb:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts