Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was poking around over at knife center under crkt fixed blades. They will be getting in a new crkt kukri in the future, made of 65mn steel. Never heard of it but seems to be a Chinese steel. Not saying I would order one, but has anybody heard of or had any dealings with this metal?

·
Wind
1,222 Posts
What I found on it.

The mechanical properties of 65Mn Spring Steels are outlined in the following table. 65Mn steel, after heat treatment and cold drawing hardening, high strength, it has a certain toughness and plasticity; In the same surface hardening case, completely and the fatigue limit and alloy spring.
65Mn Spring Steel | 080A67 | 1066 -GB/T 1222 - Special steel china ...
www.otaisteel.com/products/65mn-spring-steel/

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I haven’t read any graphs or charts about the steel. I however do have a few blades in that steel and it’s a very tough carbon steel. The majority of AK47 bayonets you can find are made from that steel. My circle 10 (Bulgarian) AK bayonet is made from 65Mn at a 51-53 HRC and it’s incredibly tough. After trying to break the thing for a while it earned its keep as a blade in one of my kits. I have a small fixed blade in 65Mn and I’d put it right on par toughness and edge retention wise as 5160 at 55 HRC. I have a thick Golok that’s very heavy in 65Mn and same story. Pretty much same toughness and edge retention as 5160 at 53-55 HRC.

Overall, it performs well above its price point. Anything you’d expect of 5160, you can expect from 65Mn. They use it for truck leaf springs in former communist bloc countries and China. Any steel capable of handling that kind of abuse, will be plenty fine for a Knife steel.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Not much different in composition than 1065, maybe with some silicon, maybe a bit more Mn. Railroad track steel is similar, as are t-posts and bed frames made from rerolled rails. Simple spring steel AFIK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts