Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
6,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small pile of generic 55 gr and 62 gr fmj ammo.

I picked up a few hundred rounds of 64 gr Winchester Razorback from a guy who needed the cash. They shoot well and I got to thinking.

Maybe stocking some of the less exotic 64 gr PSP rounds from Winchester/Remington/Federal . The Winchester Power point seems to have a good rep with deer hunters. Hunting deer with rifle VER VERBOTEN IN DER ILLINOIZ but down in TX seems quite common to hunt deer with 223.

Thoughts?

·
Fenced In
3,441 Posts
I have a few hundred rounds each of the 64gr Winchester Power Point and 62gr Federal Fusion MSR, as well as a good deal more SP in both weights from various manufacturers. I also have a little bit of Hornady V-Max. As I see it, the same ammo could serve as stock for both defensive and hunting use as the need arises.

Now, I bought the aforementioned Winchester and Federal at roughly half the going price when an online retailer was blowing it out, but usually don't pay much attention to the premium stuff at regular prices. I don't plan for a SHTF scenario involving armored hostile targets, but if I'm holding down the homestead against "soft" targets on two legs or four, all of my reading and discussions have led me to believe that SP or ballistic tip .223 will be quite effective.

·
Scout Motto - Be Prepared
1,618 Posts
a 223 SP makes a heck of a mess on any critter compared to a FMJ

If I was shooting someone/something with an AR to put them down/stop the threat, (granted they aren't wearing armor of any sort) I want to have my mag full of SP.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
14,148 Posts
That's a good round to stock! Nothing wrong there, it should be adequate for everything on two legs for sure and some 4 legged ones.

Typical Hill Country deer (Austin, San Antonio area) does weigh 80-90lbs and the bucks come in around 100-120lbs. The 223 in most cases is just fine so long as your range is not too long. The 22-250 works magic though on the longer ranges. So does the 243

You get out to East Texas, West Texas and Northwest Texas, you'd do better with a bigger cartridge.

West Texas, Northwest Texas, you'll need something with some range like 257 Roberts, 25-06, 270, 30-06 and etc. The magnums are a bit overkill but lots of folks use them

Reactions: fragout

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
I have a small pile of generic 55 gr and 62 gr fmj ammo.

I picked up a few hundred rounds of 64 gr Winchester Razorback from a guy who needed the cash. They shoot well and I got to thinking.

Maybe stocking some of the less exotic 64 gr PSP rounds from Winchester/Remington/Federal . The Winchester Power point seems to have a good rep with deer hunters. Hunting deer with rifle VER VERBOTEN IN DER ILLINOIZ but down in TX seems quite common to hunt deer with 223.

Thoughts?
64gr Win PP is an excellent load . Deer, hogs, and security. ( Provided your rifle shoots it well)

North MO whitetails are decent sized critters, but this load will work as long as the shot is 0laced correctly, and stay inside of 100 yards.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I am going to put some money into my "premium" ammo stash.

My new ammo that I am going to load up on is the 75 gr gold dot. I am looking at IMI razor core 77 grain for a more accurate mid range round.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I keep a few hundred 64 gr pp for reloading for hunting.Between these and the 55 gr sp and fmj the, 62 ss109, and 75 bthp I think I have done everything I can to make the most if the caliber.

The 64 pp will work for deer within 100-150 yards.

·
Awesome
18,073 Posts
i like 75 grain hornady HPBT for its performance at a decent price, 77 grain TMKs are devastating on soft targets, but ~64 grain JSP isnt a bad choice either.. its all a step up from 55 grain FMJ and even military ammo in my opinion

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
i like 75 grain hornady HPBT for its performance at a decent price, 77 grain TMKs are devastating on soft targets, but ~64 grain JSP isnt a bad choice either.. its all a step up from 55 grain FMJ and even military ammo in my opinion
I have looked at the TMK on una's suggestion and it is an amazing round, does just about everything well ( other then barrier).

But with black hills doing the only loading right now it's very expensive.

·
Fenced In
3,441 Posts
I think it would be wise for "defensively minded" gun owners to try a small quantity of these various rounds - or as close as they can get as finances allow - to test each through any gun they might need to run it through if things go badly. This is common practice for most folks who carry a handgun regularly, and the same attitude should apply when considering SHTF defensive rifle needs. Before I invested in the 64gr Winchester Power Point, I got my hands on some old PMC 64gr FMJ (a rare bird these days) to make sure a particular rifle could put a projectile of that weight down range with suitable accuracy. I've started doing the same with some of the heavy OTM rounds when on sale, in anticipation of adding some of the premium stuff if the opportunity arises.

In a perfect world, I'd move up to an AR10 or something to that effect, but since I've already invested in the 5.56 platform, it seems wise to make the most of advancements in ammo design for the caliber.

·
Awesome
18,073 Posts
I have looked at the TMK on una's suggestion and it is an amazing round, does just about everything well ( other then barrier).

But with black hills doing the only loading right now it's very expensive.
you can easily hand load your own for a lot less, unfortunately the cost per bullet is a bit on the high side which is one of the main reasons i prefer the hornady HPBT... theyre $0.31/bullet while the hornady is $0.15/bullet, i can load an entire cartridge of ammunition with the hornadys cheaper than i can buy the TMK bullets alone so if i loaded with TMKs my cost per round will go from $0.30/rd up to over $0.45/rd and if im paying those prices i might as well go .308

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.