Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So I found this at the surplas store and LOVED it. Mostly because I like saving space and tools that can do several things. It does the following.

• shovel
  • hatchet
  • hammer
  • saw
  • nail puller
  • can opener

However the edge of the axe was not sharp and examining the neck on this thing it looks like a thin peice of tubing that will bend or snapp with hammering or chopping. So avoid this model but is there another good solid one out there?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That tool looks awesome! How much was it?
It was $20 - $30. I found one at Doughboys Surplas in L.A. and they are availble on Amazon BUT they tubing looks cheap. Not like thin quality metal but that thin super shiny cheap steel that will snap if you hit it right. I've also now had one person tell me thier button (to change heads, hammer, shovel, saw) broke.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
looks awsome as a gadget but go use it see how it performs
im verry skeptic of small shovels also axes are great for spliting wood when large
but id say greatly diminished in use when small
buy 2 blades of hacksaw (i dont know if this is the therm but the tree cutting saw )
you can use a small folding saw with it to make a full wood cutting saw that actualy works ....

as i said go use the tool if you find you can dig a decent hole with it (big enough to burry your pack or make a cache) then cool but realy like i said in another post on gear
a shovel is useful but only if your not totaly desabled by back pain after using it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks neat yes, but I'll keep my Vietnam era e-tool. It is the folder with the pick type, besides I like the wooden handle. Good find though.

·
Just South of Sane!
4,225 Posts
I've owned one of these, If it's the same manufactorer, it was a cheap piece of SH$$.
sorry to break your bubble but I bent the TUBE handle and It was down hill from there.
I hope you got a better one then I did.
Good Luck.

·
Veteran 11BC2/EOD
2,021 Posts
Anything made to do more than 1 thing rarely does anything well. Buy the proper tool, or dont bother. Want an axe, get an axe, a shovel, buy a shovel, the tri fold US e-tool is crap waiting for a moment to break, want a hammer, the best idea is get a hammer.

To many think the solution to their problems is more gear. Learn to use what you have to the best of its capabilities. Shovels have long handells for a reason, like maybe 2000 years or so of use , axes are the same. And every other tool evolved the same way, and somebody thought it was for a good reason. Dont reinvent the wheel here guys, theres too much to do.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
the tri fold US e-tool is crap waiting for a moment to break, want a hammer, the best idea is get a hammer.
Are you the reason they made those comic book manuals to show troops on what "NOT" to do?? I read one that showed shovel being used for hammer.
I hope you have passed on your thoughts about tri-fold to the right folks to get the troops something better. One guy said all he needed was a plastic trowel to live in bush.
BTW, I've still got my intrenching tool from the 70s.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I bought something similar in about 1986. Hollow plastic handle light steel shovel. Using the hammer almost broke the thing. You just couldn't pound any nails with it. But it did have a knife inside the handle.

My choice is use a heavy duty knife as an axe if I need one. Pound it with a thick branch.

·
Veteran 11BC2/EOD
2,021 Posts
Are you the reason they made those comic book manuals to show troops on what "NOT" to do?? I read one that showed shovel being used for hammer.
I hope you have passed on your thoughts about tri-fold to the right folks to get the troops something better. One guy said all he needed was a plastic trowel to live in bush.
BTW, I've still got my intrenching tool from the 70s.

yes, in 1986 I was interviewed by reps from NATICK about improvements to tools/gear we were issued. Everyone who was asked said the same things about the tri fiold shovel. They were junk looking for a place to break.

Never made any difference, most of us bought short D handle spades, bought old canvas etool covers and used them instead, and a 3/4 lenghth cruiser axe tied to it nicely, for those who liked them.

Theres a difference between living in the bush surviving and living as a soldier, digging positions and building overhead cover. The only things we had in the Light Infantry was an e tool. You can chop a tree with one, but 9 times out of 10 the tool will break before the roof is finished. Buy the right tools.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
Theres a difference between living in the bush surviving and living as a soldier, digging positions and building overhead cover.
Yep, the expert said all he needed was a plastic trowel for "bush".
Yet, he said soldiers needed e-tool for "digging foxholes".

I would think if you were in the "bush", no chance of resupply, you would be more careful with your tools and try not to break them by using them for other uses, "chopping down tree with e-tool, digging with knife, etc". Everyone knows, from reading bladeforums, you use your knife to chop down tree.
Ames mini utility shovel with 1910 canvas cover should work nicely. But, I still wouldn't use it to chop down a tree.

http://www21.shopping.com/xPO-True-Temper-Craftsman-Dhrp-Mini-Utility-Shovel

Does PLA stand for "People's Liberation Army"? This has worried me.

·
Veteran 11BC2/EOD
2,021 Posts
"Everyone knows, from reading bladeforums, you use your knife to chop down tree."

Everyone knows, bladeforums is populated by internet commandoes. Id much rather break a tool I dont want to carry anyway, than break a tool I use all the time. Have YOU ever built a fighting position with overhead cover? In the field, in conditions like I or other Infantry soldiers have? Im not talking about researching it and talking about it. Build it, properly so its underground, fields of fire laid and cleared properly, overhead cover of proper depth and the whole thing camoflaged and integrated with the rest of the unit, in the dark and in the alloted time?

Breaking a $5 etool is not one of your worries.

PLA stands for Parking Lot Avenger, comes from a running joke about troops who THOUGHT they knew more than they did and caused trouble ( like additional duty for the rest of the squad/platoon) and "accidents" happened to adjust their point of view and attitude. You know, the kind of wanna be Rambo's who read alot but had zero in the mud experience and whose advice tended to get people hurt? When senior NCO's or Officers asked what happened, the standard answer was "the Parking Lot Avenger must have struck again." Most people who have time in, the Army for sure in the 101st Airborne(AA), the Marines usually use a different name for it, know about it. And its good for beer and a few smiles from people who have been there.

Not that your worries are something bothering me, does that take care of it?

·
Bisonweed
10 Posts
I own the same tool. I have used it to dig in pretty soft ground a few times. The saw attatchment is rubbish and barely cuts. The axe comes more or less blunt. Very flimsy construction generally. Am going to buy a dedicated saw, shovel and axe. It would be infinately unwise to ever rely on this tool. Pretty much novelty use only!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.