Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right boys and girls, today I got myself a new toy. While helping out the family business today I asked my father about the old, 1984, 6.9 E350 Ford boxvan sitting at the shop. Well I'm happy to say that I'm now the proud owner of our mollestervan, title and all. The truck has 340,000 miles on it and ran great until the injector pump went out 2 years ago. So my goal is to rebuild it and drop it in my half ton F150 with a new ZF5 or ZF6 transmission. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Reminds me of this woman I used to date. I picked her up in my F150, and she pointed out that I had a "date rape door" - the third door that can only be opened from the outside when the passenger side is opened.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nothing wrong with rebuilding the C6 or T-19, imo. If you are hell bent on the ZF, stick with one post-96, the ZF5-47 is far more durable than the pre-96 ZF5-42. The ZF trans's have 3 different bellhousings between the small and big block gassers and the diesel. The gasser ratios are also different than the diesel.

Be prepared for more work than just a case swap, you'll need to beat the **** out of the floorpan, use ZF balancer and flywheel, then swap the u-joint for a hybrid at minimum. If you have a C6 you'll also need to change the rear crossmember, rear mount, driveshaft, carrier bearing bracket and more, plus add the slave and deal with the shifter.

Or you could buy a 96+ F-X50 with a shot motor and just replace it.

Sounds like a fun little build either way. Enjoy!

Edit: I typed all of that while thinking both vehicles were '84 diesels. I have no idea what year/motor your F-150 is and therefore no idea what trans it has. Much of my post could very well be non-applicable. Whoops! (A- for effort?)

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing wrong with rebuilding the C6 or T-19, imo. If you are hell bent on the ZF, stick with one post-96, the ZF5-47 is far more durable than the pre-96 ZF5-42. The ZF trans's have 3 different bellhousings between the small and big block gassers and the diesel. The gasser ratios are also different than the diesel.

Be prepared for more work than just a case swap, you'll need to beat the **** out of the floorpan, use ZF balancer and flywheel, then swap the u-joint for a hybrid at minimum. If you have a C6 you'll also need to change the rear crossmember, rear mount, driveshaft, carrier bearing bracket and more, plus add the slave and deal with the shifter.

Or you could buy a 96+ F-X50 with a shot motor and just replace it.

Sounds like a fun little build either way. Enjoy!

Edit: I typed all of that while thinking both vehicles were '84 diesels. I have no idea what year/motor your F-150 is and therefore no idea what trans it has. Much of my post could very well be non-applicable. Whoops! (A- for effort?)
My F150 is a 94 with a M5R2 trans in it. I was already aware that the ZF had two differnt sets of gears (gas and diesel) and three bellhousings for the bigblock 460, diesel, and SBF (small block ford). That being said, last time I checked from the Cummins 4bt forums a M5R2 to ZF5 trans swap was a bolt in deal. Being a diesel bell housing I'm probly going to have to special fit it in, but it should go in without much of a problem.

One concern I have is fitting the 6.9 and ZF5 combo in the truck without the whole unit causeing the drive shafts to be too short on one side and too long on the other. I can always have custom drive shafts made, no problem... To whatever specs I want. They're costly, but great for offroading.

As for the front end, I was planning on doing a Dana 60/10.25 axle swap. Not sure if I'm going to do leaf or coil sprung as of yet though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My F150 is a 94 with a M5R2 trans in it. I was already aware that the ZF had two differnt sets of gears (gas and diesel) and three bellhousings for the bigblock 460, diesel, and SBF (small block ford). That being said, last time I checked from the Cummins 4bt forums a M5R2 to ZF5 trans swap was a bolt in deal. Being a diesel bell housing I'm probly going to have to special fit it in, but it should go in without much of a problem.

One concern I have is fitting the 6.9 and ZF5 combo in the truck without the whole unit causeing the drive shafts to be too short on one side and too long on the other. I can always have custom drive shafts made, no problem... To whatever specs I want. They're costly, but great for offroading.

As for the front end, I was planning on doing a Dana 60/10.25 axle swap. Not sure if I'm going to do leaf or coil sprung as of yet though.
Yep, all of what I wrote was inapplicable or already known, aside from the ZF5-42/47 differences. Oh well.

You are right about the Mazda/ZF swap being nothing more than a box and drivelines swap. ZF is about 3 inches shorter on the backside and with a different yoke. However, you could get used drivelines from the same wheelbase F-X50 from the boneyard instead of going the custom route.

Link us to the build thread when you get started, please! Sounds like a nice project.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are right about the Mazda/ZF swap being nothing more than a box and drivelines swap. ZF is about 3 inches shorter on the backside and with a different yoke. However, you could get used drivelines from the same wheelbase F-X50 from the boneyard instead of going the custom route.
I dont know if I can do that. It's a short bed single cab F150, and I've never seen a shortbed F250 or 350 with a single cab.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I dont know if I can do that. It's a short bed single cab F150, and I've never seen a shortbed F250 or 350 with a single cab.
F-150's weren't available with the diesel, were they? If they were, the drivelines are the same with any of the F-X50's, just match up Motor/Trans combo with Wheelbase.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
F-150's weren't available with the diesel, were they? If they were, the drivelines are the same with any of the F-X50's, just match up Motor/Trans combo with Wheelbase.
They never offered a diesel F150. So this still causes an issue, I can figure it out.

I may just take the drive shaft out of the E350 and shorten it from the cap because it's a long wheel base. Like I said, I can probly figure something out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That seems like a great vehicle. Those 6.9 liter diesels were fairly reliable. The fuel pump is supposed to be rebuilt about every 100k.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts