Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading up on this round and I decided I like it.

80% the stopping power of a .308 with 50% its recoil.

I understand that US army is considering switching over to this round as well as a few other countries as its main combat round.

As of now it is a bit more expensive than 5.56 and 7.62 and it is not as easily available. However, if it does become the standard round of the US or some other countries militaries, than of course those things would change. Or if it just simply becomes more popular on its own.

Rock River Arms has a nice 6.8 mid length AR I am ordering. Was just curious as to anyone elses thoughts on the round.

·
Registered
631 Posts
It has a bunch of advantages over a 5.56 and will be a much better round IMO. I have a Ruger Mini 14 in 6.8 and it is a pleasure to shoot. Ammunition is a bit high at this time. I would like to have an AR in 6.8 but for now I will have to stick with my 5.56 for ammunition supply.

·
Registered
18,822 Posts
Been reading up on this round and I decided I like it.

80% the stopping power of a .308 with 50% its recoil.

I understand that US army is considering switching over to this round as well as a few other countries as its main combat round.

As of now it is a bit more expensive than 5.56 and 7.62 and it is not as easily available. However, if it does become the standard round of the US or some other countries militaries, than of course those things would change. Or if it just simply becomes more popular on its own.

Rock River Arms has a nice 6.8 mid length AR I am ordering. Was just curious as to anyone elses thoughts on the round.
If you can afford it order a 5.56 upper right away. with all the surplus 5.56 ammo out there at cheap prices it will pay for itself not to mention that for an additional 2 hundred bucks you can convert the 5.56 to .22lr.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
There is a lot of info on the net about these two rounds and how they stack up. From what I was able to find the 6.5 has a little flater trajectory, a little more effective down range at distance and I think it even had a little more variety is bullets weights that can be used. If I were going to get another upper and had to choose between the 6.5 and the 6.8 I would definitely go with the 6.5 personally myself. If the military were to adopt it as general issue then I might be inclined to go with the 6.8 instead due to availability. However I dont see that happening and if it does I dont think it will happen anytime soon.

This had a lot to do with why I decided on a 300 whisper upper instead of one of those two cartidges. I had a lot of 223 brass to make 300 whisper cases from and I am a big time reloader so the 300 whisper made a lot more sense for me and my needs. Since the 300 whisper uses the 223 case this also ment that I didnt have to give up anything magazine capacity wise either! I also have the option with this chambering to use 125gr spire points all the way up to 240gr smk's for more punch or use with a silencer. That puts a huge amount of flexibility in loads. Since I had 30 cal rifles already this round made even more sense for me, since I already stock powders that will work well with that round, bullets, primers and such making it a cheap transition to something on the AR platform thats harder hitting. Outside the cost of the upper, the only thing it really cost me to make the move to this caliber was a set of reloading dies!

Just my thoughts on this...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I am intrigued by the 6.8, because I have thought for a number of years that a 120 grain bullet moving at 2500 to 2600 fps would be the perfect round for the smallish deer around this part of the country as well as potent medicine for the piggies.

The 6.8 gets close to that mark with the 115gr. bullet and using only 28 to 30 grains of powder.

I don't have one yet... but hoping to change that in the next couple of months.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I feel safe to say the 6.8 will take anything that walks in my neck of the woods coyotes deer and black bear. I have seen reports from hog hunters saying it drops a hog like he was hit in the head with an axe.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hello, im new here.
Here is everything you need to know on the subject, it took me about 3 months research.

Application
I have been observing the development of an intermediate cartridge between the 7.62x51 and 5.56 (NATO army standardised) with great interest. This was first suggested at the end of WW2 and resulted directly in the 7.62x39 Soviet block round. Many people on here will tell you to by an AK47 or variant in this calibre due to reliability and greater momentum (stopping power) than the 5.56. However this cartridge was specifically designed for no more than 300m due to Russian statistics stating most fire fights occur under these distances and the rifle is the least accurate on the battlefield.

Bullet
It was the British that first suggested a round with greater accuracy than the 7.62x39 after WW2. Its design almost identical to the 6.8. They offered it up to NATO but were blocked by the US and Canada. This may be why there is reluctance to adopt it now. The designs for the intermediate round 6.8 were recently revived by US soldiers, the main advantages being that you can carry more ammo than 7.62x51, each bullet has more stopping power than the 5.56.
It was improved by Remington as a bit of a gamble on weather it will catch on. The cartridge is made from 5.56 cases which is why it will fit most rifle designs. It has been adopted by some good rifle designs in AR15, Ruger Mini 14 and the STG556

However the 6.5 entered the scene, it was designed as a hunting rifle cartridge which is why it has greater long range accuracy. It was modelled on the 7.62x39 Soviet and due to its shape, has not been adopted by many designs. It is the better bullet.

Heres a graph for the 6.5 and the 6.8
http://www.65grendel.com/gallery/65G_Drop_16.jpg

Rifle Platform
The STG 556 is a good rifle advantages include
better accuracy than AK47
more stopping power than AR15
shorter overall length than either rifle
Plastic mags allow easy ammo counting
Usable by right or left hand shooters
Has quick-change barrel
Quick change calibre 5.56/6.8
42 round mags will hold 42 5.56
42 round mags will hold 35 6.8
better reliability than an M16 A2
Made in the USA
Comes with removable scope specially designed for this rifle
Comes with mounting rails and sling attachment points.

Disadvantages include:
Trigger is hard to use without practice
If you aren’t careful hot brass will hit your face
It costs $2000, but I would rather have one rifle that works than two AKs/ARs that don’t.

Watch the video
http://www.msarinc.com/home.html

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
After I posted the Stag Arms AR-15/6.8mm post, I was close to dismissing the 6.8mm for the .223, but after finding this thread again, I am not so sure I am completely dissuaded from the bigger round...I think what I need to concern myself with before making a purchase decision is...
1) availability
2) cost
(ammunition) It seems the 6.8 costs a buck a round...is that fair to say, or is it cheaper in volume, and CAN I GET the ammunition in any volume?

·
Registered
1 Posts
ammo and Mags.

Hey I just picked up the Ruger Mini 14 6.8mm yesterday. Have not yet decided weather it was the right move or not. I really like the idea of the heavier round but its hell finding ammo for it. ( bought the last 3 boxes available in western wa today) Also Hig Cap. Mags . Heard they exist but certainly cant find any. So maybe your area is different than mine but I have been getting the glossed over facial expression when I ask someone at the gun counter anything about the 6.8 SPC . They have no clue. So though a nice round not so sure how smart I was for purchasing this cal. weapon.

·
Premium Member
12,045 Posts
Hey I just picked up the Ruger Mini 14 6.8mm yesterday. Have not yet decided weather it was the right move or not. I really like the idea of the heavier round but its hell finding ammo for it. ( bought the last 3 boxes available in western wa today) Also Hig Cap. Mags . Heard they exist but certainly cant find any. So maybe your area is different than mine but I have been getting the glossed over facial expression when I ask someone at the gun counter anything about the 6.8 SPC . They have no clue. So though a nice round not so sure how smart I was for purchasing this cal. weapon.
i think you made what could be a great choice for a backcountry hunting rifle and i would be glad for a review of this hard to find rifle:thumb:..........

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Thanks for that...this is the type of real world opinion I am looking for!
Kinda like Doc's flux capacitor..."I suppose in the future ANYONE can go down to the drugstore and buy some plutonium..."
...The best rifle in the world is no good without a good supply of ammo!

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
Here is the best source for 6.8 SPC ammo.
Silver State Armory
http://www.ssarmory.com/

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
The 6.5 Grendel is a more accurate cartridge because of the BC of the .26 bullet not because of the round. The 6.8 SPC uses a .27 bullet which doesn't have the accuracy designed into it as of yet. Look at all the BR bullet makers .26 and .28 but very few .27--which Remington is hoping to correct.

The 6.8 SPC is a Remington round and I can buy ammo for it wherever Remington stuff (within reason OK) is sold. On the other hand the 6.5 is Bill Alexander's personal baby and you can only get stuff from his "extremely" limited number of dealers (5) and reloading dies he'll only sell you if you have bought a gun from him. If he loses his propriety death grip on the cartridge then it might go somewhere, until then it's dead in the water.

I’ve used the analogy of VHS (6.8 SPC) vs. Beta (6.5 Grendel). Although Beta was the better tape format because of Sony’s death grip on it VHS was able to franchise many makers--making costs go down and more bells and whistles appear.

Mr. SmartGuy, you really had better check your facts as your way off the mark on a fair amount of what you've written.

The first military use of the 6mm is pre 1900 with the 6mm Lee--Remington (or Remington-Lee depends which side of the pond your on) which saw use in the Boxer Revolt.

The .276 Pederson was suggested for the US military to replace the .30/06 in the early 1920’s and the Ordnance Board was going to switch over after the 1926, 27 and 28 trials and Frankfort Arsenal started producing the cartridge in 1929 but The Great Depression hit and the military, under the then Quartermaster Gen, Douglas MacArthur, shelved it because they had billions of .30/06 rounds on hand, no one to sell them to and no money to produce the .276. FYI the Garand rifle was originally designed in .276 not .30/06.

The 7.62x51 (.308 Win) was the first committee designed cartridge and the M14 rifle, a variant of the Beretta BM59 (which is just a Garand with a box magazine) and issued them together. At no time has the 7.62x39 Russian military round been considered for anything by any western army except for use by the Soviet Bloc in the AK and SKS.

Is the x39 better then the 5.56mm/.223 Rem? Of course it is! Bigger case = more powder, more powder = more energy, more energy = better range and killing ability. Can you compare them against each other? Absolutely not!
The Russians were very correct in stating that most engagements occurred within 300/350M so why design a cartridge that would require more resources (powder, metal) when not needed.

The thing is that the 6.5/6.8 is not going to be extending that distance by much, 50/100M tops, but it is going to hit with more energy and accuracy over the anaemic .5.56mm. Another FYI, the M16 was introduced by the Air Force not the Army at Camp Pendleton and the original design was in 7.62mm not 5.56mm.

To keep the 5.56mm in the frontlines will happen when they increase the muzzle twist, increase the weight of the bullet which lots of civilians have done to there HD pieces but they will have to make those bullets expanding, like the “Dum Dum” bullets, but that makes it a no-no for the USA as it contravene the Hague Convention which isn’t adhered to by the Iraqi/Afghani or Al Queda terrorist!

I know that during WW1 the British were using the Ross Rifle in .280 Ross which came over with the Canadian Expeditionary Forces in 1914 but the gun was a target gun not a military battle rifle and got clogged in a hurry fighting in the trenches. Accuracy wise it was superb and had they been able to incorporate into the SMLE platform, then I’d daresay things would have been different. The Ross was the preferred rifle of the Allied Forces, even the French were begging for them but they had to be meticulously cleaned which made it impractical in front line trenches.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts