Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
The only drawbacks are that here in the US ammo can be more difficult to find than .30-06, .308, .30-30 etc. AND the Swede is a bolt action whereas many folks think a semi-auto is more versatile in a survival situation.

On the other hand, the Swedish Mauser is a very accurate off the rack (assuming the stock is original equipment, the brass tag tells the condition of the bore and the actual bore diameter) bolt action rifle that shoots flat and has a fairly light recoil. Personally I have had 4 of them, and still have 2. I have one as my go-to gun for hunting. I like them...

Allan

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
what do you guys think about it as a survival rifle
i have owned sevral in years past i even owned the ab-42 ljungman semi auto.....i would have kept them if it were not for the 6.5x55 ammo!....dont get me wrong i like the round but price and availbility in the quantitys i am used to was too friggin painfull and still is........if your going to make one your primary hunter then the issues i have dont apply, but for all around EOTWAWKI i would recomend in addition to your swede a semi-auto back-up in a much less obscure cailber...........

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
To get an idea regarding the condition of the barrel look at the brass disk in the stock. One section has the numbers 1, 2, and 3 in a triangle. If no number is punched the barrel was brand new the last time it was in the arsenal for rework. If the number 1 is punched the barrel was excellent, 2 - good and 3- fair.

The other numbers are the last digit of the measured barrel diameter.

The last section has to do with whether the sights are set for the older round nose ammo or the spire point.

Do you have a Gustaf or a Husky? If you have a carbine with a straight bolt and threaded barrel, then your carbine started out as a rifle and was cut down to the carbine (an M96/38). If it has a turned down bolt handle and no threaded barrel, then it started out as a carbine (M38.)

Allan

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love my swedish mauser. It is so accurate and just a beautiful gun. Like stated above, being a bolt action and only holding five rounds can slow things down. Ammo can be difficult to find, although i keep a good stock of it.
Blue123 you might check out Wolf Gold ammunition. I have been using it for a while now and it shoots really well. Last time i bought some it was about $13/box. Now thats probably changed since ammo seems to be on a never-ending climb

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
what do you guys think about it as a survival rifle
Exotic ammo isn't the way to go, brother. If you have extra cash and want to buy the mauser for fun, great, but if it's going to be your main survial rifle, then you'll be hurting for rounds when TSHTF.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have an M96 and believe it to be probably the best quality & most accurate rifle I have owned. For survival...yeah, as a hunting arm I can see it. Even though it's 50" long and nearly 9 lbs! But definitely not as a SHTF weapon unless it's all you have...there is a good chance you will come up short in a fire fight because it's a bolt gun with a 5 shot magazine!

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I like 6.5 swede. I reload for it and mould projectiles. Ammo in a time of chaos is not an issue. It has mild recoil and is very accurate. The largest game that I have shot is a 300# wild boar. One shot and it went down. If one were consider purchasing a modern rifle, I'd go with a modern 6.5. One with a common parent case. I was making 6.5 jap out of 35 remington, but the remington round became difficult to find. Always look down the road when you purchase a round which is less that common.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I put little faith in any stock disc that is only held on by a screw when discs are available for sale all over including new never marked ones.

I owned or shot dozens of Swedes and never had one that shot poorly no matter what the disc says.
The Swedes were over the top OCD with their weapons, the lowest graded ones will still be in 500% better shape than most any K98 or Mosin out there.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think the 6.5 swede is prob one of the best cartridges ever. the 260, the 6.5 creed are just imitations of it.

that being said id rather have a 30-30,a 308 or a 30-06. or just a 223.

all of these will be easier to scrounge ammo for. or components.

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
6.5x55 owner here. Carl Gustav model; manufactured 1906. Still holds 10-ring or better at the local C&R matches. Earned a gold medal with it 10 years ago in the Vintage Military Rifle Match at Camp Perry.

Fun to shoot, low recoil. Only drawback is the long lock time when you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
j&g sales has wooden bullet blanks for sale, I think it about a hundred dollars plus shipping for 4800 rounds. These blanks are made on once fired norma brass. The swedes apparently gathered up their once fired norma brass and then reprimed and made into blanks. Some guys are pulling the bullets, dumping the powder and then reloading with a new powder charge and bullet.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
j&g sales has wooden bullet blanks for sale, I think it about a hundred dollars plus shipping for 4800 rounds. These blanks are made on once fired norma brass. The swedes apparently gathered up their once fired norma brass and then reprimed and made into blanks. Some guys are pulling the bullets, dumping the powder and then reloading with a new powder charge and bullet.
Hand me all excited until I checked shipping:

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I think it's more like 6 cents for primed brass. I take mine and pull the wooden bullets with my press. I have a shell holder and no die. Run the shell up above through the die hole and grab the bullet with pliers and give the press a snap down, the bullet comes right out. Some guys claim the powder is very close to unique. I don't know, I use the ammo for primed brass.

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
I no longer deal with J&G. When they started making copies of driver's licenses for purchases other than firearms I told them to KMA. They said it was store policy. I told them to FO, it was my policy to NOT let anyone make photocopies of my ID where it wasn't legally required.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts