Survivalist Forum banner
8K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Christopher67 
#1 ·
Has anyone built an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel for hunting, where did you order your parts from or did you buy a complete rifle? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Built mine, before you get too goofy, what are your expectations of it?

Mine is to shoot at the edges, so I run a Satern 20" cut rifled barrel and bolt, a Mega Monolith upper and a Les Baer competition bolt carrier. tactical machine lower with a Geisselle SSA-E trigger and my personal preference Magpul PRS stock.

You don't need anything NEAR that to hunt with though. For most hunting you can run pretty much a stock AR ( decent trigger helps though ) with a button rifled barrel and a stock bolt carrier. Square up the front of the upper receiver and install it correctly and you should have a sub 1 MOA rifle with even decent factory loads.

http://saterncustommachining.com/6_5_grendel_liberty_barrels

What I would use for a hunting rifle, several other good options out there that won't break the bank ( Black Hole Weaponry, Precision firearms, etc. )

I would probably be torn between the 16 and the 18" length for hunting, 16 would do it just fine.

Other may disagree, but that is what I would do for a hunter.

You will LOVE the Grendel. :thumb:

#3 ·
The 6.5 Grendel is a great round, but one thing to be mindful of if you intend to hunt with it is this:
Like most intermediate hunting calibres, lighter 6.5mm projectiles are designed for varmints while medium to heavy projectiles are designed for hunting (or target shooting). But the smallish case capacity of the Grendel (compared to almost all other 6.5mm cartridges) means that muzzle and impact velocity will be lower than the bullet manufacturer had in mind when they designed the bullet. So you will need to be careful to select a bullet that will retain effective terminal performance at Grendel velocities.

The 300 Blackout suffers from the same challenge but to an even greater degree.

#5 ·
assembled mine using the following components:

18" blackhole weaponry barrel with 6.5 les baer custom chamber, hbar profile
aero precision upper, midwest industries ff mloc compatible handguard
fail zero nickel boron bolt carrier and JP enterprises 6.5 bolt, BCM/Vltor CH

i put it on a noveske chainsaw lower that i already use for another (6.8) upper... has a magpul ubr and a SSA-E trigger, phase5 bolt lock, odin works mag release, spikes ST-T2 buffer, etc...

#6 ·
I bought a Radical Arms complete 20" Grendel upper to use for hunting on occasion and longer distance shooting. I am sorry to report that I have not yet had it out to shoot, so no concrete info on it. From what I have read prior to buying was all positive about Radical Arms and the 6.5 Grendel round.

#14 ·
Be careful to get an SAAMI chamber if you plan to shoot a wide array of ammo especially the steel cased brass. There is a huge amount of info on 65grendel.com.

BTW the grendel in a 120 grain bullet will shoot 200 fps faster out of a 12" barrel than a 120 grain 300 blackout from a 16" barrel. And because of cheap steel cased wolf at about 30 cents a round often cheaper than 300 blackout.

If you plan to shoot more than about 600 yards you need a minimum 18" barrel. A 12" barrel will give you 500 yards. 18" will get you 1000 yards.

AA is a good company PF is top of the line custom but you get what you pay for...and pay for and wait for.

Though you won't get 1 MOA or 1000 yard shots you can get a vepr for about 600 or 700. It's an AK great rifle little heavy but get a good scope and you should get 2 MOA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.