Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,399 Posts
Then consider what Paul does. He takes, sorry, cheap rifles and makes them work.
I consider that to be a back handed compliment and a badge of honor. :D:Thanks!

The Desert Sand color rifle is my $195, 300 win mag, NIB Remington 770. After a couple hours of TLC in the shop, it’s a solid sub-moa shooter and the bolt is smooth as a baby ass.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm thinking about just getting the 6.5 Creedmoor for competition / precision shooting and upgrading the R700 7mm mag. The only issue I have with shooting that 7mm is after a day at the range I feel like I got kicked by a horse. But maybe a different stock with a good butt pad would help with the recoil.

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
But then yesterday, like magic, the unexpected happened. The nearly $2000 338 model came back in stock. I was stunned for a bit. And now I'm not sure what to do. I want to really think about this before I click "BUY!"

I already know of the price and availability differences in the ammo. Obviously the 338 is a caliber I'd definitely want to reload every single casing of. The cost is just astronomical compared to other calibers but I really want that one super high performance rifle I could use to knock down an elk from a kilometer away. Okay maybe that's far-fetched... Or is it? And besides the cost of the rifle itself and the ammo, I'll end up spending just as much on a scope.

Essentially, cost wise if I went with the 6.5 instead I'd spend about $700 less on the rifle and about 1/3 on the cost of ammo. But is that difference in performance worth the reduced cost? If I really want what will probably be the nicest precision rifle I'll own for a very long time should I spring for the 338? And yes, I do know there are cheaper rifles in both calibers but I'm pretty dead set on the RPR.

If 338 LM is what you want than get it... Settling for 6.5 would be a let down.

·
Registered
16,010 Posts
I'm thinking about just getting the 6.5 Creedmoor for competition / precision shooting and upgrading the R700 7mm mag. The only issue I have with shooting that 7mm is after a day at the range I feel like I got kicked by a horse. But maybe a different stock with a good butt pad would help with the recoil.
My last .300 WM was magnaported and had a 2" thick butt pad. After it burned in the fires I replaced it with an identical Ruger M-77 NIB. What a difference the porting and butt pad made!:eek:

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,399 Posts
The only issue I have with shooting that 7mm is after a day at the range I feel like I got kicked by a horse.
Thread the barrel and install a muzzle brake. If you can't DIY, take the barreled action to a gunsmith or a machine shop, along with the brake of your choice.

With the addition of a brake, you'll be able to shoot that 7mm ALL DAY without pain or injury....except to your ammo budget.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,010 Posts
Thread the barrel and install a muzzle brake. If you can't DIY, take the barreled action to a gunsmith or a machine shop, along with the brake of your choice.

With the addition of a brake, you'll be able to shoot that 7mm ALL DAY without pain or injury....except to your ammo budget.
Someone is making clamp-on muzzle brakes, not sure how well they work.

·
MortarMaggot
3,290 Posts

Brakes can make a HUGE difference. My dad got an Armalite AR-50 when they first came out. It was easier to shoot than most 300 win mag, 7mm mag, etc due to the brake. It felt more like a firm push than a punch or kick. Years later I shot another 50 that didn't have nearly as good of a brake on it. Once was enough on that one. :xeye: I could shoot my dad's 50 all day long though, if it wasn't so expensive to feed anyway.

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,399 Posts
Someone is making clamp-on muzzle brakes, not sure how well they work.
The brake shown in my post #26 is $23 all over eBay. You can get a barrel threaded for $50-$100. The cost of a clamp on brake is about $85 + sh+t. The cost of a clamp on brake isn’t much less than a proper thread job and thread on brake. Should you choose to run a suppressor in the future, you’ll already have threads.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You already have one of the best multi species hunting cartridges there is, in the 7mmRemMag.
The RPR isn't really a hunting rifle, and personally, I don't even consider the 338LM a hunting cartridge.

You will end up shooting and enjoying the 6.5CM a lot more than the 338LM.

But in the end, it's your choice.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts